The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Palm Beach, FL ACC NICE, NICE seized horses now ready for adoption

Early Nov. PB ACC seized 14 starved horses. They have made fabulous recovery. NICE horses.The adoption fee for horses is very cheap...I think it's like $100...about enough to cover Coggins, Vaccinations.

I have been volunteering there and feel that experienced horse people should get the opportunity first for these nice horses.

PB Animal Control has had 12 seized horses for 2 months. They have been well fed and have blossomed.. Surely the older ones have been ridden by the former owners and their kids. There are horses in their prime, some older gems and some young ones with great potential. All sound, healthy and ready to go.Tomorrow they will go up on the website for adoption. However, ACC website really isn't set up for horses and not much info will be there. They have current Coggins, had vaccs (what is mandatory in FL) hooves trimmed when they first arrived. They have recovered nicely from being starved.One left today and another is tentatively spoken for. Some of the volunteers had expressed interest...but the horses are still there. There are some fine horses. The adoption fee is really a formality...not a reflection of their value and is less than the cost of the first Vet visit.

I am an experienced horse person volunteer and the info given here is my opinion and without benefit of notes regarding ages. ACC doesn't allow us to properly evaluate..i.e. ride...so we are making assumptions.

Dusty is a very light colored Palomino aged gelding. He is well bodied, nice size and great temperament. He did have an altercation with another gelding...we don't know why but he is fine with the ladies. If he were going thru auction they'd call him 12 but he is probably 20. Good, solid ,surely rideable, in your pocket guy. He looks like he'd be a comfortable ride. He recently blew an abcess but has been kicking up his heels and running around fine.

Copper is a teen ( maybe 16 yo) big boned Bay saddlebred. He looks like he'd be fun to ride. He woud probably need an Intermediate rider because he is big and his trot is bold. I'd call him the sport horse type Saddlebred who would probably do well on trails for a rider who likes a heads up kind of guy. I'd bet he has been shown.

Golden Boy is a chestnut Arabian...currently a stallion, this guy would be a great gelding. He has a loving personality, I'd bet he's been ridden(bareback if not formally trained ( guessing here) and handled by children. He has a quiet temperament and he is good boned....good old Crabbet breeding is my guess...but not stallion material as he is cow and sickle hocked. I believe he is under 10. He needs to be gelded and then he'd make a great riding companion.

Rebel is a black and white Pinto stallion. He may be adoption pending. He would need an experienced handler.

Blue is the baby. Some say he is 8 mos...looks younger to me but probably because of a poor start in life. Blue is a pinto out of a huge boned,stocky built mare. He is still with the mare though not nursing. He is adorable with interesting blue eyes. He does have a parrot mouth ( serious overbite). He is able to eat and has filled out nicely. Some say he needs an operation. He needs to be gelded. He and the mare are lead to pasture daily and he is brushed and loved on. He will need time to grow and then training.

Part 2 -

Spirit - 2 yo chestnut Mustang gelding had probably not had a lot of handling and needs someone with experience. We've worked with him a little and he is smart, handy and he has come a long way. He will be short but he is good boned.

Bella - mature Pinto mare, dam of Blue. She came in really skinny. She is a very big boned Pinto and has definite QH muscling. It appears that she may be a non-sweater so she will need shelter, clipping , extra care such as hosing and fan...OK so horses didn't have fans in the wild...she's special. I would assume she has been ridden, I think she is older.

Jasmin - Now here is a great QH (type) older mare with greying on her face. She is an in your pocket gal, a gentle soul and undoubtedly a ridden horse. I'd bet she is a great kid's ( Grandma's) horse or maybe she deserves a companion/pasture ornament position.

Alypsa - now this is a lovely black QH mare...I'm guessing she is under 10. Reportedly former owners' teenage daughter's barrel horse. She moves nicely, is built like a brick house. She has a mind of her own and may take advantage of an inexperienced owner, but responds well to experience and kind leadership. Great potential. She is smart, pretty, solid. IMO she needs consistent, knowledgable owner to maximized her potential. This one is tops on my list. Sadly she has no registration papers available. I thought she had an adopter...but not yet.

Adeline - sweet Adeline has soooo much potential. Lovely chestnut perhaps Appendix QH she is reportedly just 3 - and has had little handling. She is a sponge waiting to soak up knowledge. Needing an experienced horse person as she has not had much handling and has a mind of her own. She is fairly high in the pecking order. Well put together...I really like this little mare.

Reilly - another in your pocket filly...I think she's 3...smallish with potential . Looks mustang/QH type.

Star - older Paso mare buckskin. She was REALLY SKINNY and is still thin. She needs TLC and experienced handler. I believe she shows behavior signs of food deprivation more than any of the others ... She is more high strung than the rest. Unknown if she was ridden, we believe she had a foal this yr. Needs experienced owner.

These horses came in through an Abuse case and were seized. The abuse was lack of proper feed, water and care. Owner fell on hard times...it was all in the paper. Most of these horses are very well behaved especially considering they were food deprived. Those that haven't been handled much don't know about boundaries and respect but are quick to pick up with some natural horsemanship ground work and lots of praise. I just haven't had enough time. Sadly if there are registration papers, they are not available. They have made huge gains in body condition and socialization and I think they are a bargain with some definite diamonds in the rough. I'd love to see them get into knowledgeable great homes!

I am an employee at this facility and also double as the resident crash test dummy for the horses If somebody really needs to know how they are with tack/under saddle I will make time & attempt to hop on to see how they are. The goal is to get them into good suitable homes.

Oh good. I really think it would help place the horses if they were evaluated for riding ability. I asked about bringing a saddle and was told no riding. I tried to PM you but the Smartpak ad is right in the middle of the PM and I don't have the patience to resolve the problem.

I signed in on the Friday sign-in sheet. Tel number starts with area code 413. I'd be glad to help and I have a Wintec with extra wide gullet for the witherless widebacks. You can get on

Default OMG!!! Pictures on the ACC website are HORRENDOUS!!!!

OMG!!! I just saw the pictures on www.pbcgov.com/snap Adoptable - Other

THE PICTURES are AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It appears they are intake pictures and not current AND they are just dreadful shots. Plus there is no place to describe them on the form. If someone goes by those pictures...they horses will be there forever!

I will be there Monday to get better pictures to post and hopefully to do some better evaluation of them. all I can say is OMG!!! the pictures make ME look like I know nothing about horses by calling them great...they look pathetic!!!!!! and that is not the case!!!!

Hopefully I can talk the powers that be to allow their resident 'Crash dummy' to ride the horses and someone to take pics and videos so the horses have half a chance at attracting new owners.

I am speechless!

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow, those pictures really ARE awful. Thanks for stepping up for these horses. Hope they all find good homes.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Better...not great pictures are now on the website. 2 horses adopted - Rebel a Blk/white very defensive pinto stallion went to Pure Thoughts. Reilly , a 3 yo QH or mustang type went to live on 20 acre farm with kids.