The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Metal Stall Gate Recommendations Please

We are re-doing the stall doors in our barn. When we got the place the former owners had floor to ceiling "solid" doors that swung out into the aisle as opposed to into the stall, no stall windows, bars on the front stall walls...horrible ventilation; horses were in what most closely resembled an Airline Vari-Kennel type stall. We cut windows and whacked the doors in half. The doors were pretty jacked up so we just snapped them back against the front wall and used stall guards/Dan's stall chains. Well, I'm tired of having jacked up, semi-useless doors crapping up the barn aisle. (It's late and my filter is off...sorry to be so frank.)

I'm investigating stall gates and wondering if anyone has any thoughts on these. There are the standard types one can order from Dover and like places. I saw black coated, aluminum arch top gates that are generally used for charming pool fences that would really spruce things up, but they are well over $200 each and I'm not sure they are really safe (hoof go between bars). I'd love to find some used ones but the chances of that...I've checked w/consignment places around here fwiw. Is there a place out there that specializes in used barn/farm fixtures? Anyone got a company to recommend for new ones? I'm open to any style but really like the taller gates with the yoke.

There is (was) a place in Aberdeen, NC that did custom horse barn metal work. The manager's name was Sam Kenworthy, but I can't remember the company name. Put a post on the Event section for Pegasismom. She lives right near the place. If I come up with a name, I'll post it. We have custom stall screens for all of our stalls. Some U-necks, but most are stall "webbing" sizes. I prefer those, but have the u-necks for some horses. We had ours made by a reputable welder....cheaper by far than the BN fabricators.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I ordered 2 standard small gates from here for $85 each in December 2011:

http://www.candpengmfg.com/id5.html

They are very solid and look nice. We had 2 at my old place for several years and when the farm was sold they were still straight and would have looked nice with a little cleaning.

Christa

Default Royal Wire Products

Go to their website.

Look up Country Manufacturing and take a look at their Door Guards. I have 12 of them and they hold up great! They aren't high priced either. Good luck in your search!

I replaced some of my wooden stall doors with metal versions this past summer for better ventilation on the stalls for horses that I don't trust with just stall chains I got mine at Tractor Supply - they're not exactly like the ones in this link, but similar - I couldn't find the exact match on their website of what they had in the store, but you get the idea: http://www.tractorsupply.com/wire-fi...-4-ft--3611046

I've had them up less than a year so can't speak for long-term wear, but so far so good and I really like them.

Not sure if it's what you were looking for, OP, but I'm using 4' wire mesh filled gates as stall doors in my barn. Mine are by Tarter http://www.tartergate.com/switch.php...te=fre&emp=fre , but all of the major companies make them - pricing seems to hang pretty steady at ~$100 each. http://www.tractorsupply.com/wire-fi...-4-ft--3611046

They're not fancy, but they actually look pretty nice in action, and since I used the two way gate latches - http://www.tractorsupply.com/two-way...-latch-3603506 - but you can find them MUCH cheaper than TSC - they'll swing both into and out of the stall, which I find very convenient.

ETA: Great minds think alike, Eniskerry!

I have this stall gate from Davis Metal, I'm completely happy with it. Ordered the exact size I needed and it arrived quickly.

http://www.mcssl.com/store/davismeta...9e2cc6b7bd328d

I'd strongly recommend a gate that swings both ways, and if that's not possible, swings out into aisle but folds flat against the wall so it's not in your way. A general safety rule is that doors need to swing in the direction of egress-- look at which way would you be travelling to escape, and the door needs to be pushed in that direction. So for a stall, if it's not a slider, it needs to be able to swing outwards.
    The safety risk applies even if it's not an emergency-- imagine you start to open the door, horsie for whatever reason has no brains that day and tries to push his way out. Door's not open wide enough yet for his shoulder to pass through, and he gets jammed between wall and gate with a possible serious shoulder injury.

1 members found this post helpful.

Barnware is what crosscreek is referring to. Suuuuper spendy, but nice stuff.

You can also check out Wood Star's gates--they are reasonably priced and well made, though the powder coating flaked on mine after year 1.

I'm in the same boat. I need stall guards, but don't want to pay for the shipping on them. So.... I made some.

http://s1299.beta.photobucket.com/us...eb0fc.jpg.html (don't mind the ladder, I'm trying to visualize if I like it or not).

It's a wood frame with Dekorators balusters and connectors from Lowe's. It took about 2 hours to do, and cost about $70 including heavy duty hinges and a gate latch. Using 26" balusters and a 2x4, the gate came out to exactly 33". You could cut conduit and spray paint it instead of buying the precut black balusters and its about 1/2 the cost.

I'm debating wether or not to go up to 36" balusters and make it a dutch door with bars instead. Open to thoughts/ suggestions.

We used the full screens/no yoke from Lucas and have been very pleased - easy to put up and have held up well. Don't remember what I paid for them though, its been several years.

http://www.lucasequine.com/screens.html

What are the balusters made of? Are they strong and will they rust?

That's a pretty nifty DIY project if it will hold up.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

The wood frame door with balusters that fatappy posted is very attractive looking, but I know in my barn, the wood would get chewed on. So I would keep that in mind if considering similar ideas...but it sure looks nice now! Kind of like my beautiful board and batten outside walls that were so nice to look at until my ponies started eating the bats...we've since pulled those off and made the walls flat and chew free!

A vet that I used in the past also worked at our local track and was not crazy about the metal stall gates that are so common there. He'd seen horse get their jaws caught in the bars. He recommended some plastic gates that I use in my home barn now that are really safe and durable (so far). http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...04ae5&gas=Gate not everyone finds them visually appealing, but I have them in brown in my wood barn and they look good. They've gotten a little chewed on, more just scrapes of teeth, but still going strong after a couple of years. Held up to the butt scratcher too.

I only have 3 horses, 2 retired, 1 6yo at my barn. They're only in their stalls for short periods.

The balusters are aluminum and made for deck railings. I do not think these will rust, but I do think the paint will chip. My best guess is that if someone were to kick this square on, they'd crack the connector (which is plastic). I do not think mine would hold up to pawers/kickers or cribbers. I did investigate putting a metal trim around it, it would add about $20 to the cost. Still on the fence and I may add that once these are operational, but right now, I'm just going to see how they do.

I am going to do 2 more this weekend and maybe use the conduit. I'll report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Christa P View Post
    I ordered 2 standard small gates from here for $85 each in December 2011:

http://www.candpengmfg.com/id5.html
    I have the same gates as Crista, they have been in for 10 years now, and while they need painting as I have a barn full of beavers, they are still solid and have held up well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm not an outlier; I just haven't found my distribution yet!

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    I'd strongly recommend a gate that swings both ways, and if that's not possible, swings out into aisle but folds flat against the wall so it's not in your way. A general safety rule is that doors need to swing in the direction of egress-- look at which way would you be travelling to escape, and the door needs to be pushed in that direction. So for a stall, if it's not a slider, it needs to be able to swing outwards.
    The safety risk applies even if it's not an emergency-- imagine you start to open the door, horsie for whatever reason has no brains that day and tries to push his way out. Door's not open wide enough yet for his shoulder to pass through, and he gets jammed between wall and gate with a possible serious shoulder injury.
    Excellent point. We struggle with pushers and leaners, hence my issues with the doors swinging out into the aisle; I've also got one butt scratcher who regularly tears up things. I can't put in sliding doors under the current circumstances.

Without the ability to tear it all down and start over (which is what I'd really love to do), I'm thinking I'm just going to have to put on my big girl drawers and get right over my stall door hatred issues. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    The wood frame door with balusters that fatappy posted is very attractive looking, but I know in my barn, the wood would get chewed on. So I would keep that in mind if considering similar ideas...but it sure looks nice now! Kind of like my beautiful board and batten outside walls that were so nice to look at until my ponies started eating the bats...we've since pulled those off and made the walls flat and chew free!

A vet that I used in the past also worked at our local track and was not crazy about the metal stall gates that are so common there. He'd seen horse get their jaws caught in the bars. He recommended some plastic gates that I use in my home barn now that are really safe and durable (so far). http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...04ae5&gas=Gate not everyone finds them visually appealing, but I have them in brown in my wood barn and they look good. They've gotten a little chewed on, more just scrapes of teeth, but still going strong after a couple of years. Held up to the butt scratcher too.
    I actually like these! They do sort of remind me of the Little Tikes children's playhouse!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by FairWeather View Post
    Barnware is what crosscreek is referring to. Suuuuper spendy, but nice stuff.

You can also check out Wood Star's gates--they are reasonably priced and well made, though the powder coating flaked on mine after year 1.
    To gut and redo our barn with Barnware would require that I sell an organ on the black market but I <3 their stuff. lol