The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The helmet that isn't a helmet...

http://upwr.me/UckC6o

Has anyone seen this before. Kind of like the inflatable vests. Interesting....

2 members found this post helpful.

I did! I thought it was fascinating, although wearing a helmet is so second nature to me.

Fascinating. Thanks for posting

I think it's very interesting, and becoming the way of the future. VW, in their new convertibles, has done away with the bulky, ugly, solid rollbars. Now, if you're in an accident, the rollbar just APPEARS....just super, super cool.

The risk, of course, is a higher chance of user error/device failure, as opposed to your standard strap-on bike/rider helmet.

I've seen this video. It is pretty cool, like the pneumatic eventer vests. Probably is the wave of the future. You could wear your top hat in dressage or your cowboy hat and if you fall the invisible helmet will inflate and do it's job.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Bikes are a lot smoother than horses, so a change in orientation or a hard bounce is abnormal and an appropriate trigger for the helmet. But a jarring trot or jump would trigger the helmet on the horse, no?

I would think that as soon as a horse bucked, and you got thrown forward it would go "poof!"

I'm not sure how I'd feel about that big thingy around my neck either. Seems bulkier and more 'in the way' than a helmet. It's a really cool idea, but I'll stick with my Charles Owen for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

1 members found this post helpful.

It's going to depend on what type of "trigger" is used.

With eventing vests there's a lanyard that attaches to the saddle and if the rider is un-horsed the lanyard triggers the bottle that inflates the vest.

With the device shown it appears that position is used as the trigger. If you get more than some number of degrees off the vertical then the sensor triggers the "helmet" response. There's a lot more "body movement" around a horse than around a bike. Consider how you move when grooming, saddling, mounting, etc. This wide variety of positions would make designing a system trigger more difficult, but maybe not impossible.

It's an interesting concept.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

2 members found this post helpful.

Is it just me, or does wearing what appears to be a really bulky scarf look at lot more uncomfortable than wearing an actual helmet?

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by c'est moi View Post
    Is it just me, or does wearing what appears to be a really bulky scarf look at lot more uncomfortable than wearing an actual helmet?
    I agree with this. I love the concept of it, but as others have said, there is WAY more motion with a horse than on a bicycle. Additionally, I'm not one who enjoys having too much "stuff" up around my throat. Anything too bulky and I sometimes feel like I'm choking. (I've been known to have to undo the strap on my helmet at times when I get overly exerted because I start to choke or gag, and I don't even wear it too tight!) Also, can you imagine wearing this in a hotter climate? They would need to come up with one that had the cooling characteristics of the vests, etc.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

I think it might have value for those who don't traditionally wear helmets, the lower impact/less extremely mobile disciplines like rail classes, WP, maybe dressage too. Very interesting.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I'm thinking that such innovators will meet the challenges of these various sports.
    Look at how much research and analysis went into understanding cyclist impact!

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I could see maybe using that during cold weather, but couldn't handle having that around my neck during the summer!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Bikes are a lot smoother than horses, so a change in orientation or a hard bounce is abnormal and an appropriate trigger for the helmet. But a jarring trot or jump would trigger the helmet on the horse, no?
    Part of what is interesting is all of the RESEARCH they are doing in development. Me thinks no such research has been done on the riding vests?

Quote Originally Posted by see u at x View Post
    I agree with this. I love the concept of it, but as others have said, there is WAY more motion with a horse than on a bicycle. Additionally, I'm not one who enjoys having too much "stuff" up around my throat. Anything too bulky and I sometimes feel like I'm choking. (I've been known to have to undo the strap on my helmet at times when I get overly exerted because I start to choke or gag, and I don't even wear it too tight!) Also, can you imagine wearing this in a hotter climate? They would need to come up with one that had the cooling characteristics of the vests, etc.
    Hence the need to do research to find a good, workable concept. Lots more people ride bicycles, obviously. But I think this is a good thing to point to when querying the manufacturers of horse safety equipment.

I saw this several months ago, and living in a cycling commuter household, both me and my boyfriend were quite intrigued. While I would wear it on my bike in a heartbeat (yes, I'm guilty of going helmet-less most of the time), I think I might stick to my Samshield for regular riding. Not sure why—probably more because of tradition than anything else?

The future is now.

I think this is the start of some very useful technology for horse people. It's not ready yet but imagine what it can turn into.

I wonder about this with another hat.

If there is no "strap" or button or other "restraining device" on the hat you're probably all right. But if the hat has any sort of device holding it on then I can see a risk of injury.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I'm also interested in the MIPS helmet technology mipshelmet.com It looks like back on track has a MIPs helmet but only in Sweden.

I'm impressed. Potential issues have already been noted- but I could see something like this potentially progressing to a one piece or two piece that protects skull, back of neck, all the way down spine/torso. For a variety of sports- don't forget skiing.