The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fjord mane trim: scissors or clippers?

I have a fjord I've been trimming with scissors, but with the weather being colder I'm thinking of trying clippers to save time. Plus I hate the scissors I have. Bad idea? What tools do you use?

Always used really sharp scissors on the Fjords I showed. I can just see me sneezing while using clippers and whoops! Yeah, forearm muscles!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQwQSVNZd5g

I find scissors work the best but have used clippers in the past. When I used the clippers it was b/c the mane was sooo thick.... and I had to finish it with the scissors..... didn't look as good as the scissored from the start mane. Just go buy a good pair of Fiskars...

I have always used sharp scissors, sometimes slower is better, you dont want to make your fjord bald by accident!

Thanks for the video! I like how he uses the wet brush, I'll have to try that. He also trims the white, black, then white...I've always debated what order is best, I will have to give that a shot too.

Seems like I've been doing things the hard way, trimming the whole thing then going back to make the white shorter, that was the only way I could get both white sides to remotely resemble each other!

Just googled fiskars, I've been looking for good scissors and had no idea it was this simple...the orange handle ones!!

I don't offer this as a "how to" video, but just for fun. Here's a video of me trimming my Fjord with a clipper. Search for the word "Clipper."
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

I don't own a Fjord, but trim my bucksin pinto Azteca like one, and joke he's half-Fjord cause he looks it! I board next to a big Fjord breeder in Lebanon, OH, and the owner told me they use scissors, and always start with the arch in the middle. I've also found it easier if my horse is grazing!

I use sharp clippers, and then touch up a little with scissors.

Quote Originally Posted by LilyandBaron View Post
    I don't own a Fjord, but trim my bucksin pinto Azteca like one, and joke he's half-Fjord cause he looks it! I board next to a big Fjord breeder in Lebanon, OH, and the owner told me they use scissors, and always start with the arch in the middle. I've also found it easier if my horse is grazing!
    Can you post a picture?
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

I tried the method in the first video posted. Wonderful! I think the keys are the wet dandy brush befor you begin and starting in the middle at the highest point of the arch. Doing those two things (with scissors) saved me a ton of time with excellent results.