The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Converting a box stall into temporary tie stalls?

Hi!

I was considering the possible benefits of converting a 12 x 12 box stall (or removing a partition, so it'd be a 12 x 24 space) into two tie stalls. I would only use the stalls for feeding 2xs a day, but thought it could be a nice, easy, efficient way to feed. I'm not really sure how I would convert the box stalls.

The stalls have two doors, one 4' centered sliding door into the inside of the barn (aisle), and one 4' dutch door opposite that opens to a 10' overhang and sacrifice pen. I think I'd like the tie/standing stalls to be 4-6' wide and ~8 feet long.

Has anyone converted a box stall into tie stalls before? Does anyone have any ideas as to how this could work? Thoughts in general?

Thank you!

We did this last Spring. We made 2 12x12 stalls into 4 tie stalls for feeding. Works great. I love it. Only took a day for horses to learn which was theirs, and they walk themselves in to eat.

1 members found this post helpful.

Tie stalls are really convenient to have.

Not sure the easiest way to modify the stall door so each horse can access each tie stall. CHSatwork...how did you change the stall doors for the tie stalls?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

We took off the stall fronts and put another post at 6' and put up another wall. We left the backs open. I only feed grain inside so there is just a bucket in the front and a trailer tie.

Quote Originally Posted by CHSatwork View Post
    We took off the stall fronts and put another post at 6' and put up another wall. We left the backs open. I only feed grain inside so there is just a bucket in the front and a trailer tie.
    that is the basic setup.
    I have seen temporary conversions, with just a pole between the stalls, and no other modifications, but the horses have to be used to be tied like this, and get along. Plus you have to lead the one in first who won't be by the door.

But yeah, a 12x12 gives you ample wide tie stalls, with a feeder, maybe a waterer like that:
    http://i5.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/31/ed/b38b_35.JPG

Done.

Depending on the horses, you wnat to put in a solid divider, or a pole with do.

Also, if you need to park a horse there for a longer time, it is a good idea to have a fixed ring about 36 inches off the ground (maybe a bit higher, not much though) with the tie strap going through the ring to a weight. This way the tie will never slack so the horse can't get a leg over it, but has - assuming it's long enough - enough room to lay down for a nap, which hey are known to in tie stalls as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

A gate on a hinge works well too. Then you don't have to modify doors.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    A gate on a hinge works well too. Then you don't have to modify doors.
    Another way to divide it is an old fashioned hanging swinging bail. It's a 2-3" thick 10-14" wide board that is the length of the stall this suspended from the ceiling by light rope and pulley at each end. I've used it to divide a box stall into 2 for feeding and it works really well. it should drop down to be level with the horses point of shoulder and stifle. Being a 10-14" board, it's very, very heavy and doesn't move easily but it will move enough if a horse panics. It's also heavy enough not to break if someone kicks it. We did install a hook in the wall to clip it so it couldn't move at all when it was dropped down.

Some of the old horse books from England show some pictures.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by flashwhitelock View Post
    Another way to divide it is an old fashioned hanging swinging bail. It's a 2-3" thick 10-14" wide board that is the length of the stall this suspended from the ceiling by light rope and pulley at each end. I've used it to divide a box stall into 2 for feeding and it works really well. it should drop down to be level with the horses point of shoulder and stifle. Being a 10-14" board, it's very, very heavy and doesn't move easily but it will move enough if a horse panics. It's also heavy enough not to break if someone kicks it. We did install a hook in the wall to clip it so it couldn't move at all when it was dropped down.

Some of the old horse books from England show some pictures.
    Can you describe this a little more, or show pictures? Thanks.

A couple of times now when we've had extreme weather like hurricanes, we've temporarily made tie stalls out of box stalls so all our horses could be in and we could safely put two horses per stall. We use metal gates with the rounded pipe and basically put horse #1 in, get him/her settled. Put in the gate, and then Horse number two. A bit awkward but it worked for the 1-2 days they had to be in.

A barn I boarded at in NY had tie stalls for horses done up permanently as they had space limitations too and the horses would overnight in them. I would guess they were 5 feet wide and 10 to 11 feet long with a built in manger and water bucket holder. Quite nice really and the horses could lay down in them.

Pictures of standing stalls as we had in european barns:

http://www.morandindustries.com/hors...ls.html#photo2

Horses had a halter on and were tied from both sides to rings on the sides, the ropes weighed down with a block of wood, that kept the ropes tight without pulling on the horse.
    Horses lived fine in those, going out to give lessons and for trail rides.
    Horses liked their place so well, if you put them in a box stall, if they got loose, they would try to go back to their tie stall.
    If one was in a box stall and now was put in a tie stall, if they got loose, they would go ... to the tie stall.

Horses could lay down in those just fine.
    Some stalls had, between horses, just a log hanging from the wall in the front and the ceiling on the back.

Standing stalls are not for those that won't see that their horses get out several hours a day.
    Private horses that the owner only came to ride once in a while were stabled in box stalls.

If you can take the front out of your 12x12 stall, you can make three standing stalls in that space.
    I have seen broodmare farms have tie stalls to feed in individually and mare and foal get in there on their own, to eat, twice a day, without any problems, each one knew their place.

Bluey,

Where were you from in Europe? Only curious is all..don't mean to be nosey. I was surprised to read in the other thread you were in Southern Pines also. When were your there? We may have crossed paths at some point. I lived there from 1986 to 1993.

I agree that the horses kept in tie stalls seemed perfectly happy. We never had any problems with them in NY either. All got turned out during the day for exercise or worked.

Trail riding in 2011 in Grayson Highlands, the stables at the State Park were some quite narrow tie stalls...a bit too narrow for the horses to get up and down. A few of the larger horses were cast. I wish I had measured them but they were claustrophobic feeling to what I'd seen done before.

Our smaller Spanish Mustangs were fine in them for 3 nights and even laid down at night. Sometimes having smaller horses has some advantages. Our horses were being ridding 6 hours a day and had plenty of exercise.

I have been around horses in several countries and there were standing stalls in many stables in all, especially for school horses, as those horses were worked much and regularly.

I was in Southern Pines long before you were there, so didn't cross paths there.

In many stables, there was a long feed trough and you could make the standing stalls as narrow or wide as you wanted by hanging the divisions, planks or poles, wherever you wanted them, to fit big or smaller horses.
    We bedded with straw, so it was very nice and fluffy in there to stand or lay down.
    Most horses got along very well with their neighbors, no ugly faces or much less kicking, that was not acceptable.
    If a horse was just not sociable, he was put in the standing stalls with solid partitions and there no one felt too close to someone they didn't like.

When we started feral horses, they were put in stalls, worked better until they were gentle enough to be safe to walk around without scaring them.
    In a standing stall, you have to walk in there to feed and untie the horse and you need to have quiet horses for that, don't want to be caught in that narrow spot with a panicky horse.

I standing stalls, young fidgety horses learned in a hurry to stand tied patiently.