The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Regumate in my shoe..

Okay.. I dumped a bottle of regumate into a barn boot by accident and thought I caught it before any came out. Sadly, my sock is leaving greasy prints in the house now.

How long will I be off my cycle? Any other side effects?
    I'm 48. so how do I know it's the regumate or the menopause?

You just can't make this shit up. And yes, I'd be laughing too if this happened to you.

12 members found this post helpful.

Sorry, but I am laughing Honestly, you may want to find a number on the container and call the manufacturer. Otherwise I am no help.

Look on the bright side....at least you are past child bearing age. If it helps with menopause please let us know; I could use some help.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'd be checking with the manufacturer and a health care professional ASAP...that is potent stuff and a lot of vets recommend that women not handle it at all. There are also threads on here that are pretty informative. Be safe!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

1 members found this post helpful.

How much would you say got into the boot or what's the amount you most likely absorbed through your foot?

Calling the manufacturer would be a good idea. For reference, I handled it in my younger days on a breeding farm (many, many bad stories!) and would usually end up getting a small amount(<1ml) on my hand. That stuff soaks up quick! I didn't notice any changes to my cycle, I was 17/18 at the time and pretty regular. I finally made the boys who I worked with administer it after a while!

Sansena, having done similar things, my only advice is to call the manufacturer. That may be before, or after, the glass of wine and the laughter ;-)

I spilled it on my hand one time years ago and was 4 days late; impressive, since I was NEVER late!

Just scrub it off everything, wash your socks in dish soap which cuts oils, and as the Zen master said, "Don't think about a monkey!"

2 members found this post helpful.

I spilled some on my hands years ago and it stopped EVERYTHING immediately, I think for 5-7 days. Can't remember now, but it was not a lot and I washed it off pretty quickly. You may have more problems due to the length of time exposed.

I used to handle it all the time... Never affected my cycle, but gave me wicked headaches! I also recommend calling either the manufacturer or poison control if you are worried about it. On the positive side, I swallowed my sip of tea before opening this thread - my ipad is thankful!
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

I was giving it to a mare for weeks (we must have started her right after my cycle) I was really, really good about wearing gloves, being clean about the whole process, not get any on me. Well I must have been getting it some how on me, because 4 weeks or so later my period never came. Well, I was dating a boy at the time and while I was on BC things happen. So about 2 weeks goes by and still no period. Now I am flipping out. I took 3 pregnant tests and they all came up negative (of course they would)

BTW, all the while I am still dosing the mare.

I could not figure out what was going on until I noticed that I was getting a little bit of drool ....DROOL!! on my forearm each time I dosed the mare. I stopped dosing the mare (had my stall guy do it for me) and I started right up again.

So I am sorry OP that you are going though this.....but deep down, I am laughing at the situation. At least you Know you did it.

I think regumate got me pregnant. Not kidding.

3 members found this post helpful.

Lol, that much?! I'd call my doctor. I handled a bucket that had been used to dose a mare with Regumate at a horse show two days in a row and it messed with my cycle, also might have been the reason why I was a crying mess the day after (Not a normal thing for me). I stopped doing anything with that particular bucket or the Regumate, and everything, including my emotions, went back to normal. And that was just from residue left on a bucket. It's potent stuff!

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I know a woman who ended up in the hospital for a week after having a mishap with the stuff. Please call a doctor. When DD was about 3, she thought that a 1,000ml bottle would make great mudpies in the shedrow. I freaked out and called the vet. He said since she wasn't old enough to cycle she was fine.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

I gave one dose to a friends mare. Wore gloves and didn't think I got it on myself. About five days later I started the period from Hell... seriously, I was awful... about 3 times heavier than normal.

It'll probably mess with you for quite a while.

When I was a teen, I helped cover barn chores while my trainer was on vacation. The always had a guy handle giving mares regumate to prevent issues. But he had to be out sick one day, the other two guys who worked at the barn just were stall help, not horsey... and so I had no choice. This mare spit the whole lot right back out on me, soaked into my shirt. So... seeing as there were guys about, I was not about to do the "right" thing (medically) and lose the shirt. Finished chores, drove the half an hour home
    My cycle was screwed up for the best part of 6 months.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleblackMorgan View Post
    I think regumate got me pregnant. Not kidding.
    Well, if that's not a ringing product endorsement, I don't know what is!
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

It'll probably mess with you for quite a while.

When I was a teen, I helped cover barn chores while my trainer was on vacation. The always had a guy handle giving mares regumate to prevent issues. But he had to be out sick one day, the other two guys who worked at the barn just were stall help, not horsey... and so I had no choice. This mare spit the whole lot right back out on me, soaked into my shirt. So... seeing as there were guys about, I was not about to do the "right" thing (medically) and lose the shirt. Finished chores, drove the half an hour home
    My cycle was screwed up for the best part of 6 months.

Hoping you threw out the boots and socks

It is not worth farking around with the possible chronic contact with hormones. Barn boots are inexpensive compared to problematic periods and the adverse effects of imbalanced hormones.

It is challenging enough to deal with the naturally occurring stuff

the barn I was at it took me a while to figure out I was being exposed. Foreman was rinsing the syringes in the same sink we used in the tack room for tack cleaning.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com