The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TB pedigree gurus...can anyone take a (really?!) quick look?

Hi guys! Found a poor skinny OTTB locally who looks like he could use an upgrade. No serious retraining just some trail riding but he's cheap and close so I might go take a look. I've never used Equibase before but I stuck his name in there and looked at his record and pedigree. I understand the basics but can anyone give me any pedigree insight?
    Equibase query:http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...007&registry=T
    I apologize for computer ineptitude() but the pedigree query opens as a pdf on my computer and I can't figure out how copy it to share a link. Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can give me!

He is quite well bred, although you have to back up to his grandparents to see the very good horses.His sire and dam where locally successful, but not part of "the big time". His sire stood in W. Va for $2500.

This horse one must be an iron horse. 48 starts and still sound? GOOD for him!

He does have some nice names in the 4th and 5th generations -- Halo, Fappiano and Grey Dawn II are all known as sport horse influences (and they were darn good racehorse sires, too).

So, he does have a pedigree which gives him a solid chance to become a good sport horse.

Thank you for getting him. He deserves a soft landing. May he return your investment in him many times over.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes Bop stood in WV rather popular on at the Charlestown track...4th and 5 th generations so far removed from reality....Two Punches are know for athletic prowess and jump eventers like them and he is dead now .

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Definitely worth an in person look.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I know several people who really like Two Punch horses for sport--he is one of the "good" Mr Prospectors. Fappiano is golden for eventers. Rahy is lovely for sport.

Pictures?!

Only two pictures and they are both terrible in terms of being able to see anything, and borderline "You really need to feed your horse." The guy who owns him bought him and then realized the purchase price was the cheap part. He said he lost some weight when he first got him, so he might be fatter now. The pix could be from the skinny phase.
    I'm at work until Monday afternoon but me and a friend are going to go look at him on Tuesday or Wednesday. If he's not suitable for me I'll try to take some good pictures of him and put them up here. The owner is unemployed and can't afford to keep him, and I know cheap OTTBs are kind of a dime a dozen right now, but he might be useful to someone. (oh, woops...hope that will be okay...just realized that is borderline to an ad. We'll see how next week goes!)
    Thanks for your help, everyone!

One of the horses in the Retired Thoroughbred Challenge is Alluring Punch, by Two Punch. He looks like he's going to be good one. And he's quite handsome!

48 starts and that pedigree = look for arthritis.

Two Punch stood in the mid Atlantic and eventers love him. I saw him race a time or two and he was a fast and well bred sun of a gun.
    I also love the Fappiano in there as well.

Many horses drop weight very fast when leaving the track. It scares people who are not used to it. They often go though "rough patches" as they adjust to new lifestyle and feeding etc. The process of swapping one muscle pattern for another has some...awkward stages. If the price is right he might be worth a look anyway...
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

My OTTB had 65 starts and is completely sound and entering his second year of show jumping. A lot of starts doesn't mean a horse won't stay sound. I am sure he would love trail riding as a new career!
    "I am still under the impression there is nothing alive quite so beautiful
    as a thoroughbred horse."

-JOHN GALSWORTHY

Thanks to everyone for all the insight and ideas. The plan is to go look at him Tuesday morning. I think he's sound but about all I was able to get from the phone conversation with his owner was that "He's just a great big baby" lol. From what I can tell he last raced at the end of 2011. His current owner bought him March 2012. Don't know what was done with him from the end of his race career until the current owner got him; probably not much. This may mean he is beyond me as a project but we'll see...he hasn't killed his current owner yet, which seems to mean he's at least pretty quiet and somewhat forgiving. (The only horsemaship reference I can see for his current owner from the two pictures is the wonder gag bit on the horse...which appears to be installed in the bridle upside down; the bit shanks are attached to the cheek pieces and the reins to the small rings).
    If he won't work for me I'll try to get a couple pictures of him for everyone here to look at. Maybe we can find a soft landing for him. Will update on Tuesday!

Good luck!
    "I am still under the impression there is nothing alive quite so beautiful
    as a thoroughbred horse."

-JOHN GALSWORTHY

The Bop babies have done well running over fences. We have two yearlings by him now and had two that were really nice (Class Bop and Class Bopper).