The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I second Aussie as a suggestion. I have two, great farm dogs, easy to train, independant enough to not be annoying. They have hardly any herd drive, the drive varies in all the herding breeds in each individual dog based on breeding, so as you consider a herding dog, you probably want to talk to the breeder/owner about their drive and not make assumptions. Mine stay on the farm, don't bother cats, chickens, goats. The only farm related bad habit they have is occaisonally they will decide to go bother the horse. This looks like... run the fence line, and bark at the horse. It usually lasts a minute or less, and if I'm around I tell them to stop, and they do - but they also still do it occaisionally. They are very protective, but not aggressive. When I tell them a "stranger" is OK, they give in quickly, if I don't tell them, they will continue to bark at the person as the three of us stare at the person trying to figure out who they are... Everywhere I am, whether working on farm stuff or in the house, they are somewhere in my vicinity..

oh man! ive been off-line for a while and I just got back and read all your postings... LOL

well, we went to the shelter and got a puppy. Hopefully you all can see the link... her original name was Ella, but we have changed it to Niki.

she is SUCH a mix/mutt, there is a picture of her mommy on the comments. her mama has HUGE, stand up ears

we cant figure her out, so we sent in her DNA for testing.

people are saying

Pit
    Boxer
    Boston Terrier
    Chihuahua
    Rat Terrier (see her mama)
    Shar Pei

etc..

she wont be big 25-30 lbs at best. we were looking at all the dogs.. and this little girl kept drawing us back to her, like a puppy magnent

I guess the DNA test will tell, LOL...

we just love her to pieces. she is REALLY smart. She is only 3 months old. In 4 days she has learned: sit, stay, wait for food, and using the doggie door

her and my BIG (115 lb) St. Bernard/Shepard mix get along great.

introducing Niki

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

this is her mama

http://www.petango.com/sms/photos/18...642adda8ae.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

What a cutie! Congratulations on your new puppy!

Border Collies are only for those people who have LOTS of room for them to run, and can give them a "job". They're far too smart to be content with hanging around all day doing nothing, and they WILL find something to do, and you probably won't like it . That said, they are probably the smartest dog around and perfect for people with lots of acreage who give them training for something to do.

Collies and other herding breeds (different from working breeds) will tend to stick by you, or at least check in with you - that's what they're bred to do. I have Shelties, and both of mine are trained off-leash, but they check in on me all the time anyway, never straying too far ahead. They don't chase the cats because they know they're not supposed to, unless the cat invites them to a game of tag (and believe me, sometimes those suckers are asking for it). However, be prepared to comb out that hair. They actually tend to shed less on a daily basis than your basic medium-to-short haired dog, but what they shed is UNDERCOAT, which comes out as fluffy dust bunnies and can get matted in a hurry if you don't stay on top of it. I tend to sit and watch Iron Chef America and brush a dog once a week. You of course could clip them to avoid it, but why? Smooth coated might be a better bet for you.

Anything that has hound will have either scent or sight drive, which means that they will tend to stray. A lab or retriever type might work, as they don't tend to chase cats, are easily trained, and won't chase horses, and tend to have big-dog barks. Have you considered a lab?
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

thanks

we had to make 2 other stops on the way home from the shelter. My BF carried her all around in his coat. LOL, he was a little overwhelmed when he discovered what a "chick-magnent" a puppy is.. ha ha ha.... poor guy...

We have two Standard Poodles. One is well bred, and the other is a rescue that originally came from a pet shop (and a puppy mill). I will say that the well bred dog has Addison's Disease, but it is well controlled and no one would know.

They are great dogs. Both males. VERY protective. In fact, too protective. We are working on "hush." I do agility with both of them. They are both fun goof balls. One is a cuddler, the other is not. One was born into a home with cats, and I think if they were raised with cats, they would have been fine. That said, I am allergic to cats, and when they see the cat that moved into the barn, they go bananas.

They have a pretty good recall, but we mostly keep them leashed. Our old Standard Poodle was very good off leash.

My advice would be to purchase pet insurance for any dog. We have Trupanion, and it has made the Addison's a non-issue from a financial standpoint. In fact, the monthly payments are less than what we would spend monthly for the Addison's Rx.

Spoos are great, I would not hesitate to get another, even another with Addison's.

Whoops, sorry, just saw that you found a puppy. Congratulations! She is adorable.

um, weird...

someone just said she could have "Dingo" in her (look at her mama's picture)

so, I googled

I found this site

http://www.carolinadogs.com/puppypics2.html