The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Summer Camp Jobs

Hi guys! I haven't been on in a while, but I figured you guys could help me out. I'm looking for a horsey job, but it can only be for the summer seeing as I'm in college. I figured that working at a summer camp with riding would be a good way to go. So basically I am looking for summer camps to apply to! Anywhere in the country is fine, so fire away!

I worked at Michigania (the alumni camp for the Univeristy of Michigan) and loved it! It's not just a riding camp, but you can apply to work on the riding staff and then you will have some additional general camp duties. It's also nice because it's a family camp meaning whole families come together so you're not responsible for the kids 24 hours a day. Instead you teach different age groups as they move around to the various activities and then give them back to their parents at night! It was a blast! Here's their website:

http://alumni.umich.edu/get-active/m...a-summer-camps

I'm sure you could call them to ask how to apply since I don't see an application for staff (only campers) online.

EDITED TO ADD: Should mention it's western and trail riding so if you're looking for something Hunter/Jumper specific this is not the place for you!
    Last edited by MistyPony; Jan. 4, 2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Add info

My roomie in college got a job from a listing at the campus employment office. She wound up in charge of the school horse string (according to her) but I expect she did a lot of shoveling and saddling and feeding and there was somebody else there for the important stuff. She did love it though, had a great time. Can't remember the name of the place or whether it still is in operation.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Try Forrestel.com. I went there as a camper, returned as a counselor and then the barn manager. I met my husband there, he was the director at the time.

Great place, really cool people, and despite the economy their program has thrived and actually grown quite a bit the last few years.

No matter where you work, summer camp is long, hard, grueling work sometimes. But the summers I spent there were some of the best days of my life! I'd highly recommend doing it....
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Lochearn Camp in VT, YMCA Camp Letts in MD.

If you want to try eventing, I LOVED the summer I spent teaching at Vershire in VT.

Brown Ledge in VT, Rim Rock in WV, Friendship in VA.

I'd avoid Lohikan in PA, and their associated camps.

I'm the riding director at Camp Highlander in Mills River, NC. Take a look at our website (www.camphighlander.com) and be sure to fill out an online application if you think you might like to work with us. You can send me a PM here if you have questions.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Green Cove in Tuxedo, NC! Not strictly a riding camp, but a great place with a nice riding program. You can apply to be on the riding staff.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Another Green Cove vet here - amazing place to be a counselor. I taught riding (everything from up-down to basic jumping) and the school horses were fairly consistently good. Great vibe around camp, awesome food, and neat people.

What about a dude ranch? I had several friends in college who worked at A Bar A for the summer.

http://www.abararanch.com/staff/job-descriptions/

I spent 8 summers working at two different camps. Here are some questions I would ask of a potential job:
    *How much time do you get off per day? Per week? Both of my camps you got 24 hours off once a week. One you also got 2 hours off per day, the other you were lucky if you got a shower. Otherwise you were on duty.
    *If you're an activity counselor will you be living with campers and have cabin duties or living separately? I found it was very difficult to deal with horses and have camper responsibilities when I wasn't with the horses. However, living with the kids can be awesome too.

Things you need to consider:
    How comfortable are you with rustic living? There's a lot of camps out there. Some have cabins with showers, toilets, lights and AC. Others you're in a tent, have to go outside with a flashlight to the latrine in the middle of the night and the only showers in the camp are next to the dining hall. If you haven't figured it out, showers become very important

What's the clientele of the camp? Will you be comfortable with that type of camper? This ties in with how rustic it is. The camper that wants a carpeted cabin is different than the kid that's happy in a tent.

Hate bugs? Camps out west have less of them.

I also worked for a pack station outside Yosemite one fall and that was just amazing. A much easier job that had an end of day when you're never off at camp.

If you don't mind long hours, kids, and being dirty summer camp is really amazing. I wouldn't have done it as long as I did if it wasn't.

Thanks for the ideas! I've sent in applications to a few places so far, but more recommendations are welcome. After looking into the dude ranch idea, it seems very interesting, so I'd like more of those as well.

You might contact Pond Hill Ranch in Castleton, VT. They are the major suppliers for camp horses in the east/northeast. Decades ago, I worked for Harry, Sr. (now deceased) at several camps; it's still in the family. At one, I had no cabin duties; at two others, I did.

Carol

ETA: Desert Topaz' suggested questions are DEFINITELY important to ask. Surprises are not always fun.
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast