The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Sick Dogs And Beneful Dog Food?

You might want to read this ~
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/beneful.html

Yikes! Scary stuff. Poor pooches and poor owners.

that food has such awful ingredients it would be amazing if it didn't sicken dogs.

2 members found this post helpful.

One of the worst dog foods on the market. All the dyes are known to cause seizures.
    You are what you dare.

Gosh, I think my parents my be feeding this crap to their two new rescue dogs. I will have to talk to them. Didn't want to come off as "judgey" when I saw the bag!

"Oh, you feed THAT, you really need to feed what I give to Ike" (Innova EVO or TOTW).

1 members found this post helpful.

Almost anything is better (except Ol'Roy) so if you can steer them towards one of the lower cost foods like the Costco brand, it will mean fewer vet bills down the road.
    You are what you dare.

I was just on the truth about pet food website and I did not see anything there. And I by no means say that this is not happening, I am just surprised that she is not reporting it.

If people are, well I want to say stupid, but that's really harsh, uneducated enough to fall for the Beneful adverstisements, they are bringing this on themselves and their pets. YES dogs are omnivores, but that doesn't mean that "all those healthy vegetables" are their ideal diet. People need to stop anthropomorphizing their animals and buying food that appeals to the OWNERS and feed what's best for their dogs. Don't even get me started on Vegan owners who make their dogs eat a vegan diet.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

BRAVO!

When I go to the organic farmer's market with my dog treats you would be surprised how many owners have their dog on a vegan diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    If people are, well I want to say stupid, but that's really harsh, uneducated enough to fall for the Beneful adverstisements, they are bringing this on themselves and their pets. YES dogs are omnivores, but that doesn't mean that "all those healthy vegetables" are their ideal diet. People need to stop anthropomorphizing their animals and buying food that appeals to the OWNERS and feed what's best for their dogs. Don't even get me started on Vegan owners who make their dogs eat a vegan diet.

The only thing my girl will eat is Beneful

It's embarassing that I feed her this, but I've tried everything, she just gets sick. She was a rescue and being fed it when I got her. The first thing I did was to get her something more healthy but she just kept getting ill. In the 3 years I've owned her I've tried switching her food so many times, she reacts with vomiting, diarrhea, refusing to eat, listless, un-energetic, etc...
    I've consulted with 2 vets and both have said that she's in perfect shape, is very healthy (except for being extremely accident prone) and to leave her on it.

I'm definitely NOT advocating for Beneful... Not by any means, I think it's a terrible food and if I had a choice, I would never support a company like this. Unfortunately, it's beyond the point of being fair to my dog to keep trying new foods for her.
    However, I may just give it one more kick at the can after reading the link. Anyone have any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously_Hunter View Post
    However, I may just give it one more kick at the can after reading the link. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Switch it slower? If its the only thing she's ever eaten, I'd move at a glacial pace when changing her diet. But hey, if its what she eats its better than starving.

What have you tried?

Quote Originally Posted by callmegold View Post
    Switch it slower? If its the only thing she's ever eaten, I'd move at a glacial pace when changing her diet. But hey, if its what she eats its better than starving.
    This. Switch over a 3 week period, adding just a little new food to the old food every couple of days, so it takes 3 weeks to completely be switched over to the new food. Maybe don't go to a really hogh quality food that is really high protein, and try Kirkland grain free, or Chicken Soup for the dog lover. Both are much better than Beneful, without the richness/protein of something like Orjen.
    You can also add a tablespoon of pure canned pumpkin to the food to help solidify stools/ease the transition.

Thanks guys, I feel like I switched very very slowly but maybe not slow enough.

Simkie...I honestly feel like I've tried everything, Orjen, Blue Buffalo, Now!, Natural Choice, Royal Canin, Wellness, Science Diet.... I know there are a few I'm missing I can't remember the names.

I've tried Salmon, Chicken, Lamb...I don't think I've tried her on a beef formula and haven't had her on a grain free.

Innova (regular adult... EVO is great but it's a longer adjustment process). Smartpak LiveSmart is pretty good. I couldn't convince my mom to stop by a specialty store to get food for her dogs so I started ordering it for her from Smartpak. Her lab/dane stopped vomiting and her golden stopped getting chronic ear infections.

I've used Purina Pro Plan as a transition for dogs that come to me on craptastic foods like Pedigree. My collie still has to stay on a fairly low fat diet (she's on Wellness Simple Ingredient)...anything over 12% gives her the runs. I just add some salmon oil to her food and that seems to keep her coat shiny.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Simkie...I honestly feel like I've tried everything, Orjen, Blue Buffalo, Now!, Natural Choice, Royal Canin, Wellness, Science Diet.... I know there are a few I'm missing I can't remember the names.
    You're all over the board there, which might be some of the problem.

I'd focus on finding a SUPER simple food that is really pretty moderate on the protein and fat. Something like California Natural or Natural Balance or Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient. Basically, I'd look for something with only a few ingredients before all the vitamins, in the high 20's for protein and low teens for fat. Were I in your shoes, my goal would be to get the dog on something with better ingredients first, and then switch to something with a higher protein, higher fat and lower carb level. The reason I would choose a limited ingredient diet is to give the dog as little as possible to react to.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the suggestions so much!!

Simkie.... I think I'll try her on the Natural Balance, this was suggested to me by a friend who has a boxer with similar issues to mine.

Why switch to something with a higher protein? Recently, the woman who is giving my dog massages (She's an animal sport therapist, specializing in canines) has said that a lot of owners are feeding too high of a protein to their dogs and it's causing ill effects (what ill effects, I'm not sure... it was during a massage we were talking and ended up getting side tracked after this statement)

Sigh. Nope. While people seem to believe that protein is somehow harmful to dogs, it's just not true, barring additional medical issues. Your average, healthy, adult housedog will do best at a MINIMUM of 28% protein. More is BETTER. And if the dog is doing more than lying around the house, that minimum number only goes up.

Yep, there are SOME dogs that do not tolerate higher protein, but they are the exceptions, NOT the rule.

Like others have suggested, I would make the change very gradual. Treat like a horse. ;-). My sensitive dog is on Canidae, and my other dog is on Evo ( he needs the extra high calories). The Canidae dog took a day or two to adjust, but he did. Good luck, Seriously Hunter.

I had to email my brother the Beneful link. I think he uses this. He can't afford the high dollar stuff. Any suggestions on a lower priced healthy food?
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde