The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Show Me Your Favourite Breeder Website (& a few related questions...)

I'm getting a site made for my coach and I'd love to see some examples of nice breeder websites to browse.

Some questions I'd love input on:

- What's the best way to word a page highlighting past sold/bred horses? I'm not a fan of seeing them on the sales page as "sold" for eons afterwards, so I'd really like a separate page to show some photos and list a few accomplishments of past horses. Any input? Is "Past Bred Horses" sufficient? Is there a better way to word it?

- Would you be terribly turned off by a "News" page that isn't updated for half of the year? Not saying it will get neglected (I hate seeing news pages where the last entry is from two years ago), but our show season ends in October usually, and the horses get the winter off. That's the norm for here, but I'm wondering how others would see it.

- Is it worthwhile to have a "Foals" page (for foals born that current year)? I thought it might be nice to illustrate them somewhere as they may not necessarily be on the sales page (usually that's decided a bit later on), but it would be an example of what the farm produces and if one of them caught someone's eye, chances are there is a price that would send them on their way.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have a "Past Sales" which simply describes the horse and thanks the buyer eg Miss Special, 2000 Trakehner mare. Thanks to A.Nonymous in FL. with a small picture of the horse. Updates on those horses I put on my facebook page if the new owners are gracious enough to share.

I have a separate foals page with links to their own page - which I usually update with Thanks to So and So for choosing Baby Marvelous as your next prospect.

I don't have a news page, but many people have a small scrolling newsfeed which is less stressful than trying to fill a whole page and can always be updated with a cheery "See what we are up to on Facebook!" if there's nothing much going on (plus a facebook badge on the homepage)

1 members found this post helpful.

Two that leap to mind are HAF's and AHF's"

http://www.homeagainfarm.com/

http://www.autumnhillfarm.com/Fielding.html

I think they are both beautifully and thoughtfully done.
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

As a prospective buyer, I don't really care about a news page. I expect to see sold horses on a sold horses page.

Mainly I just want to see what horses you have for sale and if you've got pics of their sire and dam that's a plus and any accomplishments should be listed.
    co-author of
    Duel for the Crown: Affirmed, Alydar, and Racing's Greatest Rivalry
    www.duelforthecrown.com

3 members found this post helpful.

The Hilltop website is amazing IMO, though I do wish they had pages on some of the more prominent offspring.

2 members found this post helpful.

I don’t think every equine website has to be so entirely about sales. In fact, I think that in this economy, lots of breeders skip years. I like to look and see what breeders are up to, even if they have nothing for sale at the moment.

For me, whether in dogs or horses (www.LogresDobermans.com or www.LogresFarmPintoWarmbloods.com ) our websites celebrate our passion for these amazing animals. Personally, I love good quality photos… and this site is beautiful www.dvsporthorses.com though we haven’t finished it.

The websites we do automatically know if they are being viewed on a PC, Ipad or Iphone, and the controls function slightly differently for each device, which is nice. But I think that Ipads are the future, so we are in the process of re-doing all of our websites, using WordPress and a Premium theme designed specifically for Ipads from the ground up.

I designed our website and rather than do a "Foals" page, we have a "Young Horses" page and categorized the horses by "Foal Crop". This way we can continue to update their pages and photos as they mature without considering them "Foals".

Also, instead of doing a "Sold" page or "former horses", I designed it so that each foal crop has thumbnails of all of the horses in each year marked with "Sold" if they have been sold.
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Oh Cartier, your site made me sad. I miss my dog so much (red dobe).

I really like Silver Creek's website too, in addition to the ones listed. I think they do a particularly nice job on their sales horse listings (including the in-utero). It's nice to see a confo shot of the broodmare.

A nice (short) video showing gaits and jump, good picture, and some info. I think that if you want someone to call that is enough, and having longer videos available on request isn't a bad idea if you do long-distance sales. The big difference I've noticed between the big farms and the smaller ones (in general) is the professional quality photos and proper standing of the horses.

Also, a big difference is keeping them (sale horses) up to date...

News pages: OP, I like to see what's going on if it is a training farm or a stallion station. It's also nice to hear that the full sibling of the horse you are looking at won this or that. So I think they are good if they aren't ignored. I think you can still say "Merry Christmas" or whatever in December or thank your clients or come up with something to say on a quarterly basis if not more frequently.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Iron Spring, Hilltop, Silver Creek, they're a few first class websites that come to mind -- although I think a website can still be effective without being in the same league as ISF's.

My "Horses for Sale" page is divided into horses for sale and then previously sold horses. I think including "sold" horses gives an idea of the type of horses that come thru my farm and from my breeding program....

For the horses I've bred I have a separate "bred by River Oaks Farm" page. Most have a foal photo and then a more current photo (if I've got one) along with a short listing of special awards they've won, etc. Maybe this is something like you're talking about? http://www.riveroaksfarm.net/RiverOaksFarmFoals.html

Regarding the "news" page, I'd go ahead and include one. Many people (myself included) are too busy to keep up with facebook, and it's easy to miss things. Facebook is great for smaller day-to-day updates, but I'd keep highlights on the "news" page also. (Fwiw, I also dislike blogs and prefer to see updates right there conveniently on the "news" page.)

Speaking of the news page -- something I learned myself -- if they begin to get long they can take forever to load. When my own news page begins to get long I'll cut older news and move it to an "archived news" page because people generally don't want to wait 5 minutes for a page to load. (That's also worth remembering as you add photos -- if you resize them they'll load faster, nobody really needs to have photos in the MB size on a website, most of mine are resized to <100 KB.)

I think as long as a site is clear, with well marked buttons/tabs, and easy to navigate, I don't think it matters so much if you maybe have information some people may not be interested in, because they don't have to click on it. If you have a separate button for "News" or "Foals", for example, and someone doesn't want to read about news or foals, they don't have to click on it. But if you run everything together so people have to hunt for things, it can become frustrating.

I made my website myself, using homestead. It's an ongoing labor of love, and it's not fancy, but I think it's got a lot of information. www.RiverOaksFarm.net

Gigha
    River Oaks Farm - home of the Elite Book Friesian Sporthorse Grand Prix dressage stallion Lexington - sire of four consecutive FSA National Inspection Champions. Endorsing the FSA.

I like to see a "news" page --- it is a good place to put birth announcements and show results. I linked my "News" page to a blog that is really easy to update. This is also a good place to post results/updates of horses that you have sold etc. I wouldn't be turned off by a news page that isn't updated super regularly. It would bother me (and make it appear that the operation doesn't have a lot happening) if it wasn't updated in year, however.

Instead of a foals page I have a "Young Stock" page. Like Sakura I like this so that I can update the photos and information as they age (if I still own them). They are all clearly categorized by the year that they were born. I think that I should change mine though and have youngest/ newest additions at the top.

A page for past sold horses is nice if you think you have the volume to warrant it's own page. We only breed 1 or 2 horses a year and really don't have the volume that some others do, so I just made a "Sold" section at the bottom of the "Sales" page of my website.

Good luck!
    Braeburn Farms
    Collingwood, ON

Facebook

My website is out of date at the moment and my web designer is updating it (mostly updating photos, some other odds and ends that need to state who is sold, some big accomplishments, etc ) but I have an "alumni" page for the sold horses and occasionally I do update those pages (for example one of the fillies I sold is now approved with the ATA, so we're including new photos and the video from her inspection as well as her approval info). I don't have a "news" page per se... I try and put the really important things on each horse's page, but since my designer can't update every single time/month I tend to get the updates (photos and news and video) quicker on my facebook pages (both Tate's and the farm's). I am TRYING to make it a goal to do something to each page daily or every other day just to keep it fresher and out there... As for the "foals" page, I have an "our horses" page and break it down to the broodmares, then each year for foals that I've had Tate of course has his own set of pages.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Here is my view on a News page. I incorporated wordpress blog posts and kind of turned them into “press releases” that feed onto a “news” page for the website. Those blog entries are listed individually as links (not all, just the important ones) on the index page, and you can also view them on the news page.

What I have come to believe is that you really have to have a FB page in conjunction with a website. Believe me, I resisted this for a long time. The FB page serves to quickly report little milestones. Things that don’t justify a full press release on the website.

If I was still in full-steam-ahead mode instead of winding down, I would spin off a commercial Autumn Hill Farm FB page. As it is…I am VERY VERY careful not to post too much self-serving crap on my personal FB page. That can be a real turn-off. I don’t want to turn into e ME ME ME facebooker.

Just a thought! (or three)
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

My website is REALLY out of date so I enjoy this discussion - now to find someone to DO my website - sigh, not enough hours in the day
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

I have a “For Sale” page and “Sold” page. I do it this way for people looking at horses for sale in that they don’t like what they see only to find out that the horse has since sold (Unless they are on the "sold" page of course ). On the sold page there is a quick update and the most recent picture I have of them. (Provided their owners have them to share them with me)

I also have a “foals” page, I have a picture of each from when they were a foal and then a most recent picture (or a picture of them showing) with a line or two about the most recent successes. (Like the sold page).

I do have a “news” page as well; I do try to keep it up to date. For day to day things I usually use FB (i.e. Random pictures from around the farm that wouldn’t necessarily make the website)

For every foal bred, every broodmare, and almost every horse sold has their own "page" easily accessable from any of the above mentioned pages via a link. I have lots of pictures, bloodlines (including pictures if possible and a little info on each sire) etc… Also, almost every horse listed has 1+ video on them as well. Each horse has their

When visiting other websites, I get very frustrated when info is very outdated; I am forgiving as I do understand the time it takes to keep a website up to date, so I usually will try a website a second time to see if anything has changed. If not I don’t go back…I prefer to see current pictures of horses (or fairly recent) even if said horse is just coming 2 (for example). I do understand people don’t like to post harry yack pictures, but it is nice to see how they are developing. My other pet peeve is when horses are listed by name only (same goes for stallions) on a sales page or foals page (for example). I would like to know sire/dam at the very least. I love seeing accomplishments from foals/mares/stallions etc.
    Last edited by ElegantExpressionsFarm; Jan. 5, 2013 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Forgot to add that every horse has their own page with additional information.

I like websites that are easy to navigate and keep it simple. I too don't like when the have sale horses listed by their name, how do I know which horse I might be interested in?? And chances are I am not going to scroll through all of the. So a quick highlight on each horse (sex/breed/bloodlines) and then a separate page I can click on with LOTS more info is great. With too much info on one page I find few people will read it all, so keep it brief and have options for people do delve into areas deeper without making them.

Same with videos that automatically load, it takes too long on my computer and I would rather the option to watch or not if I choose!

I also check for current info, if a website is 2yrs old I won't even go back. No point, I want the website updated at least within the last few months (don't mind a bit longer in the winter as not much is happening for a lot of us). Even if it is just a short blurb, updated date to show me when a page was last edited, a few new pics (realise winter is hard) or some updating so I know things are current.

I don't have a "News" page but do have a Facebook page so post on there occasionally (though probably not as often as I should since it is winter and all). I have a foals page showing my foals I am expecting for the year and a sold page which is separate from the sales page to make downloading faster. I also try to update my sold page with updates on how the sold horses are doing in their new homes.
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

Quote Originally Posted by SarahS View Post
    The Hilltop website is amazing IMO, though I do wish they had pages on some of the more prominent offspring.
    As far as sales websites go, Hilltop BY FAR is the best I have ever seen.

PLEASE....if you have horses for sale, have a simple "Sales" page with links to individual pages with more information (like Hilltop). I wont even bother looking at websites where I have to click around and try to find information.
    http://www.hilltopfarminc.com/sales_...offerings.html

AHF is a nice page too, but I don't personally like seeing "sold" horses on the "for sale" page. I have no desire to see what I lost out on... Maybe that's just a personal thing, but it's frustrating to see a for sale page with mostly sold horses. Definitely have a sold page, but don't leave your sold horses on the for sale page! Rub it in why don't you!!!
    http://www.autumnhillfarm.com/YoungHorses.html

I don't have a news page or a foals page, but my sales page has a photo of each one, with name, sire, dam, age, and three or four words on importance about them, then the ability to click on any for more photos, videos, pedigree, and description.

http://allanglos.net/horses/forsale.html

The breeding and show stock are listed by breed. Plus I have a sold and past page to show farm history and stock produced through the years (since 1976).
    The Inverted Y
    Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
    2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
    www.allanglos.net

Hundreds of half priced champion stallions
    www.SHNpayback.org

Thanks so much, Hansiska. Reading this thread has made me bite the bullet and get my website more organized. I had updates that really needed to be done and I added a sold page to make things more easily understood.

Facebook had made me lazy about the website.

I used to be very diligent about updates, but winding down and possibly out of breeding kind of takes the wind out of ones sails.

Quote Originally Posted by hansiska View Post
    Two that leap to mind are HAF's and AHF's"

http://www.homeagainfarm.com/

http://www.autumnhillfarm.com/Fielding.html

I think they are both beautifully and thoughtfully done.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    ...AHF is a nice page too, but I don't personally like seeing "sold" horses on the "for sale" page. I have no desire to see what I lost out on... Maybe that's just a personal thing, but it's frustrating to see a for sale page with mostly sold horses. Definitely have a sold page, but don't leave your sold horses on the for sale page! Rub it in why don't you!!!
    http://www.autumnhillfarm.com/YoungHorses.html
    Well PP, I have two horses left, then I can just re-name the "For Sale" page the "Sold" page and be done with it. Until then, the two left will be at the top, and the sold ones underneath. Like HAF said - when you are closing up shop, it's hard to gather up any enthusiasm to update your website. I just spent 7 hours updating it because I felt I had to, and I don't know about Mary Lou, but that was one depressing exercise.

This thread did get me thinking about what I will do with it once I'm completely out. I need to think on it some more, but I'm inclined to leave it up so that if anyone ever ends up with one of my homebreds they might be able to find me. A topic for the "retiring breeders" facebook page I guess.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Parts of my update made me smile, but part made me cry. I will leave the site up and hope to post updates on those that I bred as I receive them. At least for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by ahf View Post
    Well PP, I have two horses left, then I can just re-name the "For Sale" page the "Sold" page and be done with it. Until then, the two left will be at the top, and the sold ones underneath. Like HAF said - when you are closing up shop, it's hard to gather up any enthusiasm to update your website. I just spent 7 hours updating it because I felt I had to, and I don't know about Mary Lou, but that was one depressing exercise.

This thread did get me thinking about what I will do with it once I'm completely out. I need to think on it some more, but I'm inclined to leave it up so that if anyone ever ends up with one of my homebreds they might be able to find me. A topic for the "retiring breeders" facebook page I guess.