The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yeah. Your point is what?

2 members found this post helpful.

We must be smart and take into account all factors. We are the boss on Earth so it's the duty of human race. It's not an option.
    I saw a problem (this case) and did everything what I could. I do not want anybody impossible.

1 members found this post helpful.

The simple fact remains that regardless of reason. the dog was no longer even remotely relliable around people, even ones very knowledgeable of the breed. Sometimes being adopted by God is the kindest safest solution not only for the people but the dog as well. One can be sad and angry over the circumstances without being wholly irresponsible in placing that animal. Kudos to the people who had the bravery and morality to do the right thing for the dog and the people.

4 members found this post helpful.

no, not exactly, but sorry I will not start it again.

Best wishes to you all!

This was smart and did take into account all factors in my opinion. This was the closest thing to a happy ending this story was going to have. It could have been so much worse.

3 members found this post helpful.

Sorry but a tea cup poodle with an unpredictable biting issue needs the same decision made as this dog, breed not important. Kudos to them for making a hard but responsible decision.

5 members found this post helpful.

We launched a new movement for Kuvasz. The name of our new Facebook website is:
    KUVASZ & WE
    Kuvasz Education - Nature - Great walks - Community

http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Kuva...03410399696738

Last weekend we did a 5 mile walk with our Kuvaszes in beautiful natural surroundings of Hungary.
    I wish you had been there!

Best wishes to you all!
    Kuvasz

My ex husband liked to play tug of war with our SWEET Doberman. I told him it was a stupid idea as it promotes dog's agressive behavior and toward humans. Now mind you, this Dobergal didn't have a mean bone in her body...but she growled in this 'game'.

TUG OF WAR WITH A DOG IS STUPID!! with a big dog is really stupid...with a dog with a biting history....really?? that takes the prize. Don't mean to offend OP's friend but what are they thinking??

I am a bit passionate about this as I volunteer at Animal Control and see the badly behaved dogs who have not had training or bad handling and end up being euthanized for human stupidity. And sadly the sweet ones because owners do not reclaim their un neutered strayed dogs...or they surrender unhandelable ones..all due to owner neglience.

Pick the right type of dog, train it, handle it consistently and DO NOT PLAY TUG OF WAR...some Pits are lovely...but there are laws against owning them because of stupid owners!

7 members found this post helpful.

Thank you Uphill, this is about!

There are bad representatives of EVERY breed. Some are born that way, some are made that way.
    Euthanizing a dog with unpredictable aggression that does not quickly reform with training is kindest to everyone. I'm glad they made the right decision.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

They are my Kuvaszes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q9QmvCoz7w

I'm proud of them...

The DAY OF KUVASZ LOYALTY!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

(English translation is under the Hungarian text!)

I do not have experience with Kuvasz dogs but would like to say that I think some of you have completely forgotten what it means to be dedicated to animals, and knowing what people can do to damage an animal. I adopted a JRT from a shelter, I had to go to the county attorney and have him sign over the dog to me because the shelter wanted to euth. The dog had bitten several children, and adults and was brought to the shelter to be destroyed. I volunteered there and experienced what this dogs was really like. After I finally adopted him, got him home and settled in I saw what a wonderful dog he was. He wore a bright orange collar alerting children to not mess with him...Years later and no bites since I adopted him I found out what happened to him. I ran into a person who knew the dog when he belonged to his previous owners...the previous owners children use to pick him up by his ears and tail and sling him around and then when he would whelp and bite the parents would beat him. He never bit another person and lived a happy life.
    If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Savoy 8 View Post
    I do not have experience with Kuvasz dogs but would like to say that I think some of you have completely forgotten what it means to be dedicated to animals, and knowing what people can do to damage an animal. I adopted a JRT from a shelter, I had to go to the county attorney and have him sign over the dog to me because the shelter wanted to euth. The dog had bitten several children, and adults and was brought to the shelter to be destroyed. I volunteered there and experienced what this dogs was really like. After I finally adopted him, got him home and settled in I saw what a wonderful dog he was. He wore a bright orange collar alerting children to not mess with him...Years later and no bites since I adopted him I found out what happened to him. I ran into a person who knew the dog when he belonged to his previous owners...the previous owners children use to pick him up by his ears and tail and sling him around and then when he would whelp and bite the parents would beat him. He never bit another person and lived a happy life.
    So where were you when this Kuvasz who supposedly had been the recipient of good and experienced handling and yet was still unpredictably biting was in need of someone to save him? It is swell that you saved your JRT but sometimes they can not be saved and it can be irresponsible to try. See the thread of the pittie who was 'saved' by a neighbor and yet has attacked other dogs twice. Even well intentioned people are more often than not unqualified to deal with dogs with dangerous behavioral issues. So not, I don't think anyone is forgetting anything...not one would deny the damage that can be done to animals by people.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    So where were you when this Kuvasz who supposedly had been the recipient of good and experienced handling and yet was still unpredictably biting was in need of someone to save him? It is swell that you saved your JRT but sometimes they can not be saved and it can be irresponsible to try. See the thread of the pittie who was 'saved' by a neighbor and yet has attacked other dogs twice. Even well intentioned people are more often than not unqualified to deal with dogs with dangerous behavioral issues. So not, I don't think anyone is forgetting anything...not one would deny the damage that can be done to animals by people.
    Nor can comparing a Jack Russell Terrier with a large male guardian dog. Just in the damage that could be inflicted alone, nevermind the physical reality of handling the dog on a daily basis. This is unreal that this subject keeps coming up when thankfully the caretakers handled this competently almost 9 months ago.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

4 members found this post helpful.

"competently"? To kill a living being because of human ignorance?
    Sorry, as I see it's not an explainable thing.
    It's not about Kuvaszes, or dogs… it's about us…

Quote Originally Posted by kuvasz View Post
    "competently"? To kill a living being because of human ignorance?
    Sorry, as I see it's not an explainable thing.
    It's not about Kuvaszes, or dogs… it's about us…
    Being obsessed about this is not showing your best most rational side.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

7 members found this post helpful.

Sorry, but it's not an answer for the case.
    It's been a healthy dog. The owner of the dog had little experience in education. This caused trouble. Then gave the dog a week and euthanized.
    As I see to give a real chance for a healthy living being it's very rational.

my advice... just move over from Hungary to the US with your dogs and than experience the way of living over here..... I think you have no idea what you are talking about.....
    Sorry to say that, and by the way, I know Hungary. I have been there several times as we have very good friends there....
    I think nearly everybody on this thread made very good points...
    And by the way I did rehome a Kuvasz some years ago. It was a very very nice female. She came from a great home, lived at a boarding barn with summer camps was used to different people and everything... Her owner was foreclosed and had to give up everything...
    My brother in law was looking for a new dog at this time. So I brought this dog to him.. IMO nobody did this dog a favour. She was still nice and did a great job, but I think loosing her original owner kind of broke her heart..... She did become quite old, but she never really settled in and developed a close connection to anybody.
    I think this breed is very very special and it should really be avoided to rehome them... And as a breeder you should know that....

Oh and my personal opinion.... Im not even sure whether its useful to breed this type of dog nowadays at all.... The world changed and dogs in most countries are not supposed to be 100% loyal to only one person and defend it against woolves.... You certainly dont do this type of dog a favor in case anything in their surrounding changes... That was the lesson I got out of my rehoming thing...
    Last edited by Manni01; Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:58 PM.
    Owned proudly by my horses and the Pony
    Blacky by Sandro Hit, Amica by Amidou,
    Sarasota (Princess) by Don Schufro and Daysie by Sandro Hit
    and last not least Kassandra GRP by Burstye Orpheus

Yes, as I believe I know this breed. You knew one Kuvasz only.
    A young male can rehome easily. This completely sure.

Sorry, I do not want to cause inconvenience, the case is totally clear for me (and as I know for many others as well…).

Please allow me a picture from one of our walks in a Folkmuseum in Hungary. Just look at the dog's and the owner's eyes! HAPPINESS !

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Thank you!