The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New (to me) truck is killing my back/hips. Ideas?

I bought a used truck a couple of weeks ago in the (vain) hope it would keep the one I drive daily a bit cleaner.

The new to me truck is old and battered, but it's sound and it was cheap. I took it to pick up some hay last night and I was in pain as I was driving back. The entire round trip had taken 30-40 mins.

I'm still adjusting the seat so it might be that I just haven't hit the sweet spot yet. The current driving position makes my back and hips ache as I'm driving. My normal truck doesn't.

Any ideas? I'm planning to try a slim cushion behind my back to see if that helps.

Thanks!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Is it a Ford? I find the Ford seats VERY uncomfortable for travelling any length of time...it's a shame, because some of my favorite trucks are Fords... definitely try a cushion, and something else to sit on, because it doesn't get any better, trust me!

Ford, are you listening? Make your seats more comfortable!!!
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    Is it a Ford? I find the Ford seats VERY uncomfortable for travelling any length of time...
    I think it depends on the Ford. The old 2001 Ranger of mine had comfy seats. My dad's Ranger ('99 I think) had comfy seats. My new Fusion has comfy seats (with butt warmers too!). My grandfather's Explorer Sport Trac...complete agony. I've made the same seven-hour trip to the fishing cabin in all three trucks and the only one I come out crippled in is the Sport Trac.

One of those lumbar support gizmos you can buy to put on an office chair might help your back. If it's cutting you in the back of the thighs too, one of those wedge pads to elevate your rear would help with that. Also, depending on the vehicle's age and the costs, you might be able to replace the seats.

It is a Ford!

Strange, because I have no problem with the seats usually. (The pool cars at work are all Fords.)

I have a lumbar support. I'll try that. It's the only vehicle that I've ever got out of lamer than I got in! :lol!

Just sent my mechanic an email about replacing the seats. I probably could do it, but I'm living in a sea of mud right now. I'd rather pay someone else.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    It is a Ford!
    I don't know what it is about the Ford Trucks, but they kill me, especially my hips! I can't move at all after an extended trip. Try adding something more padded to sit on. I think my problem is that I am short, so I feel like I am constantly reaching for petals?
    Good luck...worse case scenario, go to a junkyard and replace the seats!
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

I'm short too! Maybe I need longer legs...

I'm short too! Maybe I need longer legs...
    I'm 5'7" (average?) but I don't think longer legs will relieve your pain. The seats just tilt at a weird angle in some models so it's not like you're sitting in a normal chair but instead are jack-knifed a bit with your knees forced higher than usual....if that visual makes sense.

Is recommend something to sit on - it might be jarring your back that way. Also get a mechanic to look it over and see if the suspension is working right. When I had a PT Cruiser and I needed a shock/strut replacement it was really jarring on my back.

Quote Originally Posted by VaqueroToro View Post
    I'm 5'7" (average?) but I don't think longer legs will relieve your pain. The seats just tilt at a weird angle in some models so it's not like you're sitting in a normal chair but instead are jack-knifed a bit with your knees forced higher than usual....if that visual makes sense.
    That is actually how I feel when I'm driving it. Just couldn't put it into words. I feel like I'm jamming my legs down to use the pedals.

I'm shorter than you by a few inches.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post
    Is recommend something to sit on - it might be jarring your back that way. Also get a mechanic to look it over and see if the suspension is working right. When I had a PT Cruiser and I needed a shock/strut replacement it was really jarring on my back.
    I'm going to add a cushion behind my back and I'll try a thin cushion on the seat. (Maybe a rolled up towel to boost me forward a bit.)

Everything I buy gets a good check up before I drive it, so I'm pretty sure that the suspension is fine. I will ask about it though.

I'm 5 feet tall and I have my problems with our 96 F250 too-love the dang thing half to death but it hurts!

One thing that worked really well for me was a yard chair cushion-back and bottom in one piece. Exhibit A: http://www.meijer.com/s/hunter-green...io&kpid=170172

I really really toyed with the idea of attaching blocks to the pedals but it's really DH's truck to drive and he's nearly a foot and half taller than I am! LOL The clutch was the worst for me-down in a hole.

Next Ford was a 99 automatic with automatic seats. Much better.

I bought a McCartys Sacroease about 10 years ago. I use it in every vehicle I drive. It wasn't cheap, but was WELL worth it!

http://www.mccartys.com/

That is actually how I feel when I'm driving it. Just couldn't put it into words. I feel like I'm jamming my legs down to use the pedals.

I'm shorter than you by a few inches.

I'm going to add a cushion behind my back and I'll try a thin cushion on the seat. (Maybe a rolled up towel to boost me forward a bit.)

Everything I buy gets a good check up before I drive it, so I'm pretty sure that the suspension is fine. I will ask about it though.
    Does it have adjustable pedals? My mom & dad's 01 -250SD has electric pedal adjustment. If it does that might help...

ETA: I have no idea if that's commonly available or not...
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

The last pickups have been Fords and no problems.

My friend uses mine for long trips, as his, not a Ford, makes him sore.
    He is 6'+ and I am 4'11", but the pedals go up and down, the steering wheel tilts and the seat has all kinds of adjustments, seat forward or back, angle, height, back support and tilt on the back part.

Don't forget to check mirrors, as some angles may make you lean funny to see well.

I would say, if you do well in other pickups and not that one, consider trading, do not keep driving a vehicle that is hurting you.
    Go back to the dealer and if he is honest, he should help you find a better fit.

Several friends with newer GMCs complain those are very rough when not on very smooth highways, but they have the bigger ones, that tend to be noisier and rougher anyway, in any brand, I think.

If the Ford is an F250 or bigger you might be able to find the seats from a Excursion..they were are on the same platform

Ouch. DH drove the same F-150 for over a dozen years. Then he thought he'd treat himself to a new(er) Dodge and give the old Ford to our son. Soon after, he started developing hip/leg pain, doctor diagnosed sciatica. Did exercises and all sorts of stuff. The most relief he would get would be when he would not drive anywhere for a day or two, and we started putting two + two together. Now our son has the Dodge and DH no longer has sciatica.
    FWIW, if you're only going to use the truck occasionally, you might get some relief from sitting on a pad/pillow and/or having lumbar support... or maybe even switching out the seats in the truck with another truck. Good luck!

I'd bet that your truck's seat is broken down, only takes a few years to happen. I have a wedge seat cushion on all my vehicles.

example:
    http://www.amazon.com/Original-Tush-...e+cushion+firm

Even my office chair has a wedge cushion. These will make all the difference for you. They fill the hole that an older seat developes, raises you up so your hips open up, your lower back is on a better location on the seat back, removes pressure on the underside of your legs, just all-around improvement. Be sure to move your truck seat far enough forward. If you are too far back then you "reach" for the gas pedal and that stresses your back.

I've learned to buy the thicker firmer foam for my truck, the extra lift is even better.

chicamuxen

Thanks! The towel is helping. I've ordered a wedge pad and will try that.

Truck is a Ford Ranger, like this one (Not mine, by the way. I'm not daft enough to buy a white truck!)

My chiropractor gave me a tip that really helped. She suggested a cheap roll of paper towels, so that you can move it around- between your shoulder blades, lumbar support, etc. Her feeling was that some of the permanent ones were nice, but people need more mobility. And when your dog throws up in the car, you have an emergency stash to clean it with. I like the cheaper smaller rolls, they crunch right down to the perfect size. Good luck OP, I drive a sporttrac, and its a killer!

We had a 1994 4x4 Ford Ranger for 14 years.
    It is still going strong in a neighbor's farm and no one ever noticed getting sore on it.

The seats are not made for heavy people, they sink in and don't come back up.
    We are not that heavy, so it was fine for us.

I would say, try a cushion, or get a different pickup.

I have had the used truck seat pain too. It is a great thing to go used on a vehicle, but sometimes the seats just don't fit. It is kinda like wearing somebody else's shoes. You assume their foot walking pattern, which can cause issues in your body.

I would suggest a brand new seat for your truck. They are out there. It may not be made buy your truck's maker, it may be, but they are surely out there. That way YOU can create your own seat pattern by the way you sit. A new seat is much less expensive than a new vehicle. Also because people do odd things to seats in vehicles (tear the to shreds for example) there is a market for new seats. Hey maybe you could get seat heaters when you get the new seat.

You could try a fuzzy sheepskin type cover. I *know* it is only a bandaid for the problem. But for me it helped a some for a car I had.

My first truck a '73 Chevy (bought in 88) the bench seat tilted to the left, and where my left hip was it really fell off and tipped towards the door. I think somebody (and maybe weighed alot or it was a cheap seat to begin with) sat there and hung their arm out the window when they drove the truck at all times. The seat started to really give me issues in my back. Finally we sold the truck, and I got a bigger used truck to haul my trailer.

Good luck!