The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage Bridle Suggestions

Will be starting some dressage lessons soon (previous reiner) and not sure what dressage bridle to buy. Would like to spend <$100. What bridles and nosebands do people prefer? Rein preference, web or laced?

How about bit preference, eggbut or D ring or other??

Just looking to play around with Dressage for now, but I fear going over to the dark side may suck me in!

Thanks!!

It honestly depends upon your horse -- what s/he needs or prefers. Generally dressage bridle reins aren't laced (hunter reins usually are) but are leather with stoppers, plain leather, web with stoppers, etc. Bits should be as simple as possible; remember that your horse will learn to actively move into contact. You might want to browse through a dressage-specific catalogue like Dressage Extensions to get an idea of what's out there. More than anything you'll want to go with correct fit and sizing Simpler is often better -- especially in the beginning.

I would just put a snaffle (whatever the horse likes) onto its normal bridle until you decide you want/need something different. Nothing wrong with that!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever