The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

My guys, one hairy Thelwell type, and one short haired thin skinned Arab, do uber well when groomed with a hair brush instead of a "curry comb". I like the big, flat tail brushes that have the flexible plastic bristles set in a rubber backing. They have the round ends on the teeth.

example:
    http://www.tail-tamer.com/shop/mane-...s/paddle-brush

Dover sells these too. They work so much better than any curry comb that I've bought. You can use them on the faced, legs, over the joints, of course the body. The bristles flex and shape of the knobs of joints because of the rubber backing they are set into. The bristles will go thru the coat to the skin and work the dead skin scurf free and work the skin oils up and thru the coat. Really good grooming tool. The tail-tamer brushes made for horses are better made than the human and dog brushes, hold up to really long use.

chicamuxen

My thin-skinned TB detested any curry and I've gone through several trying to find one he'll tolerate. Add to that that he LOVES to roll and get as muddy as possible. Yay. I finally found that he'll accept th grooma type and I found a stiffer one that he will handle and will get mild mud/crud off. If he gets into worse messes, I have my backups and he has to deal!

Not much help here, but back when I was a barn brat, we used to put mayonnaise or cheap drugstore hair oil treatments on the freshly body clipped horses overnight to try to get some of the shine and color back into their coats. Worked decent enough, but messy and gross as hell, particularly with mayo.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseKrazy View Post
    How long do these cactus cloths last?
    Forever...
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Quote Originally Posted by r.j.246 View Post
    Not much help here, but back when I was a barn brat, we used to put mayonnaise or cheap drugstore hair oil treatments on the freshly body clipped horses overnight to try to get some of the shine and color back into their coats. Worked decent enough, but messy and gross as hell, particularly with mayo.
    Lol! My vet actually jokingly told me to do that last year. He did it when he was a kid and grooming AQHAs for halter classes. I gracefully declined. I am wary of putting stuff on him because he is prone to hives, but I do use a baby oil and water mix that I spray on as I'm rubbing him with the rag. Same principle as the pink Healthy Hair Care stuff, but a little lighter so it doesn't trap as much dust, and a lot cheaper.

We're pretty happy with the Grooma curry. Go figure. Should've thought of that ages ago!