The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is there a curry that....

...my thin skinned, overly sensitive horse will tolerate?

My guy has lost a little bit of his sheen now that he's clipped, and the only ingredient missing is I don't curry him (wait! There's a valid reason). He is an extremely sensitive, thin skinned TB and between being clipped and being cold and being who he is, curries and brushes just don't make for good grooming sessions. I DO rub the crap out of him with rub rags, but it doesn't seem to be getting the job done this year.

Nothing else has changed. He's still on good quality hay plus his pasture still has some ok grass to graze on (he and his companions spend most of their day grazing rather than eating the hay thrown out). His diet hasn't changed (Fibergized Omega plus 1 cup of Cocosoya oil). He's generally happy, healthy, in great spirits, fighting fit (Way fitter than he needs to be this time of year). And while he could certainly look a lot worse, he just doesn't have that WOW shine that I pride myself in for achieving. So, that makes me wonder if I need to find a way to get a curry back into his routine...but without getting my teeth kicked in!

I usually use the jelly curries on him, but even they are too pointy this time of year. Suggestions? Other ideas to consider?

You could try a hay knot (the actual name is escaping me at the moment)- it will be a big more vigorous than rub rags but not too hard. And you can make it softer or harder depending on your needs. Or just use one of the rubber mitts?

Try this one: (Grooma Sof-Touch) http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...ae5&ccd=igo027

It has very small flexible fingers and I'm able to use it on my horse's face, so hopefully it won't be too rough on your guy.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

2 members found this post helpful.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/soft-r...x?cm_vc=Search

Very soft. but still effective to get loose hair off and add shine. Not so good for mud....

What about the soft rubber nubby ones? I think Epona makes a variety of them (I think they're called Flower Curry or something like that). You might be able to find a cheaper version of it at your local pet store -- I know they make similar things for dogs and cats.

I've also always wondered if a human loofah would work on a clipped/summer coat and wouldn't be as rough as a typical curry....

Quote Originally Posted by fatappy View Post
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/soft-r...x?cm_vc=Search

Very soft. but still effective to get loose hair off and add shine. Not so good for mud....
    Thankfully, he's a fairly clean horse and lives rugged up, so we don't need much help with mud. I do swipe the muddy bits with a curry (much to his displeasure and annoyance) but just the bare minimum.

I was thinking about something like the Grooma or this. I think I have some Groomas laying around.

It's a long shot, but if your rub rag is made of rubber, try one of the hemp rub rags or cactus cloth. I get better results with a cactus cloth than the rubber rags.

Yep, try a grooma! My picky TB would tollerate them. That and those rubber curry mits (I had one that was pretty well worn, just tiny numbs left).

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    This is what I typically use, but it is in the no go zone this time of year. Too sticky for him.

I wonder if I still have any cactus cloth at the bottom of my trunk....

Oh, yeah, somebody mentioned the "flower ones"?

They are like the jellies but instead of little nubbies? The "teeth" are a raised flower petal kind of design so there are long curved edges, no points, nobs or nubbies. Not expensive.

Don't press too hard either. Sometimes that works with everything-a really light touch when they still have stiff stubble from being clipped that everything irritates.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I use the soft face curry/Grooma type curry with soft tiny rubber teeth on my sensitive chestnut TB mare. She enjoys grooming now and I don't have to deal with the pinned ears and witchy expressions anymore. I avoid the usual curry and the dandy brush. If I need to get mud off her legs, etc., I have a grooming mitt made out of scrubby cloth that I use:

http://www.eponaproducts.com/the_ulta_mitt.html

My gelding, on the other hand, likes me to use a human hairbrush or mane and tail brush, the harder the better, on him. They are all such individuals.

My thin-skinned mare prefers the small jelly scrubber in the summer when her coat is very short and fine. I can use it anywhere. The full-size jellies have tougher fingers.

Just remembered this one! My ultimate I hate currying horse loved this one even clipped! http://www.smartpakequine.com/comfor...x?cm_vc=Search

All these curries and rags are great ideas. I know a good bloom comes from elbow grease and nutrition, but I have used (and love) Healthy Haircares Moisturizer for horses in a spray bottle. Another CoTH member got me hooked on it as she sent a bottle with her horse to me. I would never have purchased it but it is amazing. I primarily use it for blanket rub areas and faces, but if I have a particular horse that is clipped or dull I use it once a week in their groomings. Great stuff and smells nice too!

My very thin-skinned, red-headed mare loved a cactus cloth (the rest of my horses love it, too!) Will definitely put the shine back in and feels good at the same time. Works good on dried mud, too.

I love the shed flower. I have never had a horse object to it and it does a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    Try this one: (Grooma Sof-Touch) http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...ae5&ccd=igo027

It has very small flexible fingers and I'm able to use it on my horse's face, so hopefully it won't be too rough on your guy.
    I like this one because it is easy to hold in my hand. I use it for the whole body, including the face and legs. I have a horse that likes to be curried vigorously and one that is very sensitive and I use this on both of them without complaint from either. It is very easy to clean out as well.

This! http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...Gt6SDAgN7HqRLA

they are under $4.00 in the checkout at walmart, breakup mud well, and my princess and the pea TB loves them. I even curry her nose and eyelids with this thing. Super soft tiny fingers, meant to sweep up pet hair and lint from fabric, but they work great on pets too.
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    ~Vet Tech Student
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 3 Cats, 6 (Former) Stepkids