The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Saw an Expedition sized SUV a while back on the service road pulling about a 30-foot RV-type trailer. The front wheels of the SUV were barely on the road. My trailer is 13 feet...this had to be at least twice as long. Just sent shrivers up the spine thinking about the driver trying to stop it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tangledweb View Post
    Spotting a midsize SUV towing a possibly empty trailer is the most exciting thing that happened to you this week? I'm sorry.

Maybe you should sign up with these folks. They sound like they have a quirky Canadian outlook on life. They could give you back some excitement. http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/pet/3520243882.html
    My goodness, who pissed in your cheerios??
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Those trailers are not long 3 horse trailers and weigh much less. *resigh*
    Good point.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

My goodness, who pissed in your cheerios??
    Meh, I was crabby about it too, but chose not to post because I realized that I was being a cranky-a$$.

OTOH, we have people losing their horses, their houses, their children and their spouses. It seems (for me) as though 2013 has started a wee bit on the down side. So an undersized vehicle towing a ( potentially empty) trailer? Seems like a whine to me.

Again - I freely admit that I'm cranky. Someone just needs to run across my lawn ;-)

However, my Honda Pilot has a pretty high GWVR, and while I wouldn't challenge that with a loaded trailer, I'd pull an empty bumper pull if the weight was right, in order to get it home.

Going home from work last week, I saw a SMART car pulling a long, loaded trailer of garden equipment, mowers etc. WTF thought THAT was a good idea! I wish I'd been quicker with the cell phone cam, it was a picture worthy moment for sure!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    OTOH, we have people losing their horses, their houses, their children and their spouses. It seems (for me) as though 2013 has started a wee bit on the down side. So an undersized vehicle towing a ( potentially empty) trailer? Seems like a whine to me.
    Oh my goodness... I don't think we share the same definition on "whining."
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Probably not :-) It's ok, my threshold for whining has really increased (or maybe decreased) over the past few years. Which is why I admitted that I am crabby!

I do think that we keep putting in all of these barriers to our sport, and being troubled by things like this is one of the issues. Did you ever see the TED talk about why bicycle helmets actually increase accidents? It's really fascinating.

Well, I admit, I am one who would probably pull a B-up if I had a mid-sized SUV (which I don't), but a 3H+SUV really got my attention-- since I drive that highway every day, it's a VERY heavily-traveled route by tractor-trailers, and if you're not doing 75mph, you're getting run off the road.

I tend to think this board goes a little overboard with urging the most powerful truck to tow even the smallest trailer, but a 3H with an SUV??? Let's be honest, even an EMPTY 3H would pose problems for an SUV in an emergency situation.

As for "barriers to our sport," I think anyone thinking it would be a GOOD idea to tow a 3H with a mid-sized SUV SHOULD have someone sit them down and give them a talking-to... So if that person happens to open this thread thinking, "hmm, I saw a nice 3H on sale, I bet my CRV would pull it!" I hope this thread will give them pause...
    *friend of bar.ka

Again, crabby.

That being said, if you look at this chart, my vehicle with a tow capacity of 3500 will pull one of these home without issue. http://www.fthr.com/userfiles/BP-Horse-Trailers.pdf

It will not pull one fully loaded, but that may not be the reason for being on the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Lyn Farms View Post
    Fifth wheel trailers have the ball on the trailer, where gooseneck trailers the ball is on the truck. A lot of campers are fifth wheels, where most horse trailers nowadays are goosenecks.
    Well, just to be completely compulsive about this -- close description, but not quite.

The fifth wheel trailer has what's called a king-pin (not a ball) which fits into a large hitch mechanism in the bed of the truck. You've probably seen these hitches and wondered what they are. It looks kind of like the hitch set-up on a big rig. It seem to be a very sturdy and possibly safer hitch system - appears less likely to pop open during transit - than the ones we have on horse trailers. I've had both kinds.

Not quite sure why horse trailers went in the different direction from the travel trailer/camper industry - I'm sure someone would know why.
    www.moranequinephoto.com
    "If I am fool, it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom."
    Byron

Quote Originally Posted by cnvh View Post
    Well, I admit, I am one who would probably pull a B-up if I had a mid-sized SUV (which I don't), but a 3H+SUV really got my attention-- since I drive that highway every day, it's a VERY heavily-traveled route by tractor-trailers, and if you're not doing 75mph, you're getting run off the road.

I tend to think this board goes a little overboard with urging the most powerful truck to tow even the smallest trailer, but a 3H with an SUV??? Let's be honest, even an EMPTY 3H would pose problems for an SUV in an emergency situation.

As for "barriers to our sport," I think anyone thinking it would be a GOOD idea to tow a 3H with a mid-sized SUV SHOULD have someone sit them down and give them a talking-to... So if that person happens to open this thread thinking, "hmm, I saw a nice 3H on sale, I bet my CRV would pull it!" I hope this thread will give them pause...
    Yep, sorry but totally agree that while you don't need a F550 diesel to tow a two horse, safe towing does entail using an appropriate tow vehicle. SUVs are not designed to tow. You can pull a trailer with a Jetta but its a bad idea for reasons endlessly discussed in this forum. Tow charts do not necessarily take into account weight distribution. My husband legally used his 3/4 ton work truck to pull a heavy trailer, and that thing started swaying - nearly killed him and his passenger. Legal? Yes. Safe? No. And he is very experienced and does it for a living (just made a very bad call).

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    Yep, sorry but totally agree that while you don't need a F550 diesel to tow a two horse, safe towing does entail using an appropriate tow vehicle. SUVs are not designed to tow. You can pull a trailer with a Jetta but its a bad idea for reasons endlessly discussed in this forum. Tow charts do not necessarily take into account weight distribution. My husband legally used his 3/4 ton work truck to pull a heavy trailer, and that thing started swaying - nearly killed him and his passenger. Legal? Yes. Safe? No. And he is very experienced and does it for a living (just made a very bad call).
    Tell that to my diesel Excursion
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Tell that to my diesel Excursion
    Indeed. Towing ability is not binary and making a comment that "SUVs are not designed to tow" is meaningless.

Many, many SUVs (both body-on-frame and unitbody designs) are fit to tow WITHIN their capabilities. And those capabilities range from a 500 lb utility trailer full of mulch to significant loads.

Someone here also said they did not care what modifications were made to the tow vehicle. Well, those too matter. Legitimate modifications that improve trailering ability include weight distributing hitches, larger diameter anti roll bars, heavier springs, stiffer dampers (aka shock absorbers), replacing metallic springs with pneumatic ones, improved engine and transmission cooling, and brake modifications such as replacing rubber lines with flex stainless, improved pads/shoes, and upsizing rotors in vehicles with four wheel disk brakes.

Sure, they CAN, but safely? Depends. They are not designed for it like a P/U. They are designed to carry passengers. Its not a matter of legal, its a matter of safety. And it only matters the one time you really need it. A lot of it has to do with weight distribution, which is why people use goosenecks to pull heavy loads. But again, the key word is safety, not just "is my trailer hitch rated for this?"

Manufac's recommencations are to sell vehicles. You truly can tow whatever you want with a VW, or whatever, and you may get away with it. More power to you! And sure, some modifications can do a lot to improve safety. But if someone wants the odds in their favor (and the safety of whatever they are towing), they'll consider more than just ratings. The GVW guys have plenty of towing info. I'd talk to them over any manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    Manufac's recommencations are to sell vehicles. The GVW guys have plenty of towing info. I'd talk to them over any manufacturer.
    We'll just agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    We'll just agree to disagree.

There are two kinds of horse trailer pullers:
    Group A is made up of those that want to prove how much they can pull with a non-traditional tow vehicle and Group B is made up of those that want a sturdy rig to haul a sturdy trailer that is appropriately sized for their horse.

We all know who we see when we look in the mirror.

Group A finds fulfillment in the sense that they've outsmarted the traditional hauling theories. The physics of an unstable, top-heavy load in a horse trailer don't apply to them - they've maxed out a factory quoted vehicle tow rating. They're doing more with less!

Group B finds reassurance in the stability of their greater rig. This group feels rewarded by the knowledge that their engine, transmission and brakes were actually designed to tow. Group B knows it's a dice throw every time you put a horse in a trailer and they're working on improving their odds.

These two groups should stop thinking they speak the same language. Or that they ever will.

3 members found this post helpful.

Or group C, who is saying that perhaps this person was just transporting an empty trailer home, and it's not wonderful but for a short trip would probably be ok.

I disagree with those that seem to think this is not an important topic.

What if YOU were the car behind said SUV pulling a trailer (full or empty) that didn't have enough brakes to stop when the car in front of them did something.

Would you feel the same way that it wasn't your business when you were sitting in the hospital because their towing vehicle wasn't capable of pulling their load safely?

What one person does on the road can impact everyone else on that road too.

Goes along the same as drunk driving, texting while driving, etc. We all think we are "ok", but forget that the person driving next to you can have a bigger impact on your life that you do.

Spoke from someone that lost a few too many because of other people's driving...including an awful trailer accident.

Yes accidents happen, but that doesn't make it right for people to tow with incapable vehicles.

The scary part is I see more and more poor towing choices, especially with boats!

Plus, the amount a vehicle to pull is very misleading. You really need to look at the gross towing weight. Total weight of vehicle, trailer and EVERYTHING in it (people, luggage, fuel, etc). You would be amazed how quickly that changes what you can safely tow.

4 members found this post helpful.