The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Molly99 View Post
    I disagree with those that seem to think this is not an important topic.

What if YOU were the car behind said SUV pulling a trailer (full or empty) that didn't have enough brakes to stop when the car in front of them did something.

Would you feel the same way that it wasn't your business when you were sitting in the hospital because their towing vehicle wasn't capable of pulling their load safely?

What one person does on the road can impact everyone else on that road too.

Goes along the same as drunk driving, texting while driving, etc. We all think we are "ok", but forget that the person driving next to you can have a bigger impact on your life that you do.

Spoke from someone that lost a few too many because of other people's driving...including an awful trailer accident.

Yes accidents happen, but that doesn't make it right for people to tow with incapable vehicles.

The scary part is I see more and more poor towing choices, especially with boats!

Plus, the amount a vehicle to pull is very misleading. You really need to look at the gross towing weight. Total weight of vehicle, trailer and EVERYTHING in it (people, luggage, fuel, etc). You would be amazed how quickly that changes what you can safely tow.
    People like you just need to let this go.

You cannot and you will not control everything people do on the road to your satisfaction or your personal opinion of what is "correct".

You claim you see all these "poor towing choices", yet you have ZERO objective evidence to support your stance. It just becomes your opinion and thus there is nothing you can do.

So yes, people like you need to just go on down the road and mind your own business.

ETA I'm not trying to be difficult, just a realist.

What are you going to do if you see someone making a "poor" (by your standards) towing choice?

1) Call the highway patrol? Nothing will happen unless there is crap falling or about to fall off the trailer. And even then that requires a trooper to be somewhere close and not otherwise busy.

2) Write your legislator? Yours will be the only letter on this topic out of the thousands they get every year. It will go in the circular file and you will get a form reply from a staffer.

3) Take matters in your own hands? So you will roll your window down to give the other driver a piece of your mind. LOL try that and let us know how that goes.

Seriously, just let it go. Either slow down or speed up to get away from whoever offends your towing sensibilities and spend your energy elsewhere.
    Last edited by caballero; Jan. 5, 2013 at 06:59 PM.

3 members found this post helpful.

What if YOU were the car behind said SUV pulling a trailer (full or empty) that didn't have enough brakes to stop when the car in front of them did something.
    Behind them - stay far enough behind that you can see the driver in the their mirror. Hopefully EVERY person towing ANYTHING tries to keep 3-5 seconds between their tow vehicle and the vehicle in front of them.

Regardless of one's rig - things can happen. Tires blow out on tow vehicles. Brakes fail on tow vehicles and few people check to ensure the brakes on their trailer are working prior to loading & leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly99 View Post
    I disagree with those that seem to think this is not an important topic.

...Not be tailgating so I will have a safe distance to either stop or evade if something does happen, just like behind any large vehicle with a potentially unpredictable response to a sudden stop, like a semi that jacknifes when some idiot in a little car cuts them off on a downhill grade? I give all high trailers a long follow distance and do not merge in front after passing as soon as I would with a car, not because I think there is anything at all wrong with THEM, but because they may have to respond to another driver doing something moronic with a vehicle/tow vehicle that has different physics involved, and because I know their visibility is limited and they cannot stop suddenly. If you are the last car in a rear-end collision, you're at fault, not the vehicle in front of you.

You need a tow vehicle that can haul the trailer you have. We use an Explorer for a B'up two-horse. It wouldn't haul a six-horse slant load, but that does not mean it cannot haul any horse trailer ever. (And not all people who use smaller vehicles are going 'durr, I believe whatever the brochure at the dealer says', some are automotive engineers who know more about how tow rating works than the horse owner convinced they need a half-ton diesel for their two-horse trailer or it's not 'safe.')

Most trailer accidents are not about inadequate towing, they're about poor driving, on the part of the trailer driver or another driver who interferes with them. Considering the number of accidents caused by people who cannot understand how to operate an ordinary small car, this should not surprise anyone.

3 members found this post helpful.

Yes, you need a tow vehicle that is safe and appropriate for what you are towing. And "safe" is not the same as "can". "Can" our subie pull my horse trailer? Sure, probably. But safely handle stopping, swaying, etc.? No. And I certainly would not risk anything I cared about in the trailer, let alone anyone else.

And of course public safety issues are just that, public safety. I do not "mind my own business" if I think another driver is impaired and certainly I would let highway patrol know if something looked really unsafe. Maybe not in other places but I have found ours out here to be very helpful and responsive. THey don't enjoy scraping people off the highway either! This is a quote from another horse page, from a medic on the safety issue, "

I would NEVER pull with an SUV. They are not meant for pulling.

I am a medic and more than 1/2 of my roll over accidents are SUV's.

I will never own one and would never allow my horse to be pulled by one.

SUV's are NOT Built to be tow vehicles. ...

The last 2 accidents involving horse trailers on our interstate (both rolled) were both pulled by SUV's. In one accident, a horse was ejected while the trialer rolled and the other horse went for the ride, scraped and beat to a pulp. The other accident, horse was euthanized on the scene

I agree that there is nothing like defensive driving and I sure try to do just that.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    I would NEVER pull with an SUV. They are not meant for pulling.

I am a medic and more than 1/2 of my roll over accidents are SUV's.

I will never own one and would never allow my horse to be pulled by one.

SUV's are NOT Built to be tow vehicles. ...
    Whoever said that has zero credentials to make the statements he/she is making. Anecdotal evidence is worthless.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Whoever said that has zero credentials to make the statements he/she is making. Anecdotal evidence is worthless.
    So ignore it! Just noting that many people do consider it a hazard. And they have all the credentials they need to speak about their own experience.