The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct. 25, 2008
    Posts
    2,143

    Default Trailer FAIL!!

    This morning on my way to an appointment, I passed a nice 3-horse BP trailer, traveling south on the interstate, being pulled by what looked to be either an Acura MDX or a Honda CRV. *gasp*

    That is all, carry on.
    *friend of bar.ka

    "Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2002
    Posts
    1,213

    Default

    Yikes.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr. 15, 2008
    Posts
    2,701

    Default

    empty or loaded?



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2012
    Location
    Fern Creek, KY
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    *sigh*

    Although I have seen pictures of cars pulling trailers over in Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb. 15, 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    7,703

    Default

    Yes, in Europe, cars pull trailers all the time, but I believe the trailers are lighter and smaller. Mercedes, Volvo wagons... Europeans cannot afford the big trucks and the fuel ...


    1 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct. 25, 2008
    Posts
    2,143

    Default

    I have no idea if it was loaded or not. Even empty, it was probably over the tow rating for the vehicle.
    *friend of bar.ka

    "Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov. 28, 2009
    Location
    Garden Prairie, Illinois
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cnvh View Post
    I have no idea if it was loaded or not. Even empty, it was probably over the tow rating for the vehicle.
    According to Edmunds.com "When properly equipped, the MDX's maximum towing capacity is 5,000 lbs"
    Inese



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov. 28, 2009
    Location
    Garden Prairie, Illinois
    Posts
    203

    Default

    I towed a Brederup trailer with my Volvo Sedan for 10 years ~
    Inese


    3 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec. 10, 2012
    Posts
    689

    Default

    Without knowing exactly what vehicle this was (and there is an enormous gap in capability between a Honda CRV and an Acura MDX), what additional upgrades the owner has had done to it, and the tongue and GVWR of the trailer, I see absolutely no reason to criticize something that

    A) I don't completely understand due to lack of information and

    B) Is pretty common and safe in Europe where the laws of physics work the same as they do here.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2012
    Posts
    1,879

    Default

    This being the case, I don't want to be like them. I like our F250 for trailering! Featherlight 3 horse slant with dressing room...what do you call those with the hitch in the truck bed. My brain has left the building.

    Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    Yes, in Europe, cars pull trailers all the time, but I believe the trailers are lighter and smaller. Mercedes, Volvo wagons... Europeans cannot afford the big trucks and the fuel ...



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2009
    Posts
    381

    Default

    It isn't so much the actual TOWING I worry about (as lots of vehicles could pull a trailer) - it is the trying to STOP said vehicle and trailer in a hurry if needed. Especially if electric brakes on trailer fail for whatever reason... then the vehicle is left doing all the braking. Not a good situation!

    But to each his own I guess!


    8 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr. 15, 2008
    Posts
    2,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    This being the case, I don't want to be like them. I like our F250 for trailering! Featherlight 3 horse slant with dressing room...what do you call those with the hitch in the truck bed. My brain has left the building.
    gooseneck. (although i think i've also seen them called "fifth wheel," which i frankly don't understand? )



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2002
    Posts
    1,213

    Default

    I don't care what upgrades it has, even if it was the Acura, that wheelbase is much too short for towing a trailer that big, even empty. Try steering that thing around a corner.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns



    3 members found this post helpful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep. 15, 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charismaryllis View Post
    gooseneck. (although i think i've also seen them called "fifth wheel," which i frankly don't understand? )
    Fifth wheel trailers have the ball on the trailer, where gooseneck trailers the ball is on the truck. A lot of campers are fifth wheels, where most horse trailers nowadays are goosenecks.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr. 15, 2008
    Posts
    2,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Lyn Farms View Post
    Fifth wheel trailers have the ball on the trailer, where gooseneck trailers the ball is on the truck. A lot of campers are fifth wheels, where most horse trailers nowadays are goosenecks.
    thank you!! i've only ever seen balls in truck beds; i was wondering why, when i googled "fifth wheel," i was getting pics of house trailers.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr. 2, 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    *sigh*

    Although I have seen pictures of cars pulling trailers over in Europe.
    Those trailers are not long 3 horse trailers and weigh much less. *resigh*


    4 members found this post helpful.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr. 2, 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    *sigh*

    Although I have seen pictures of cars pulling trailers over in Europe.
    Those trailers are not long 3 horse trailers and weigh much less. *resigh*


    2 members found this post helpful.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2007
    Location
    Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,470

    Default

    Spotting a midsize SUV towing a possibly empty trailer is the most exciting thing that happened to you this week? I'm sorry.

    Maybe you should sign up with these folks. They sound like they have a quirky Canadian outlook on life. They could give you back some excitement. http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/pet/3520243882.html


    4 members found this post helpful.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2012
    Location
    Fern Creek, KY
    Posts
    3,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tangledweb View Post
    Spotting a midsize SUV towing a possibly empty trailer is the most exciting thing that happened to you this week? I'm sorry.

    Maybe you should sign up with these folks. They sound like they have a quirky Canadian outlook on life. They could give you back some excitement. http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/pet/3520243882.html
    This cracked me up...maybe I should forward it to my BO, since she'll be looking for a new Superminion. People would actually pay HER to clean stalls. Interesting marketing strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2007
    Location
    Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    This cracked me up
    Sadly I can't claim credit for finding it. Mike M already posted it: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...trian-Bootcamp!



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct. 6, 2012, 06:13 PM
  2. If you are gound to Fail, Fail big
    By 5 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul. 5, 2012, 05:28 PM
  3. Wardrobe Fail....
    By Char in forum Endurance and Trail Riding
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Aug. 8, 2011, 05:13 PM
  4. CL FAIL -again
    By moonriverfarm in forum Off Course
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jul. 19, 2011, 12:29 PM
  5. Proofreading FAIL
    By To the MAX in forum Off Course
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Aug. 5, 2009, 04:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •