The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    TRIPLE CROWN! Something for everyone, and they aren't loaded with sugar!
    But some of the feeds ARE high in sugars The textured Performance 14% is 38% NSC. That's their highest, by far, as the next highest is 22.8%, the Training Formula.

There's not a major company out there, that I know of, that doesn't have at least one "crappy" feed, either high in sugars, or low in quality ingredients, or both.

Purinia and Legends

There's stocking the best feeds on the market and then, as someone already mentioned, there's remaining in business for more than two weeks.

To answer the first part, I'd say Triple Crown, Pennfield, Seminole, and Blue Seal Sentinel based on what I've fed in the past. Thereby alienating the 70% of the horse-owning population who has never heard of paying more than $15 for 50 pounds of feed and thinks that Purina feeds are the absolute gold standard. I'd at least have to throw in Blue Seal's "entry level" feeds, as they do tell you what's in them and they're not full of peanut hulls.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

3 members found this post helpful.

I feel like these companies have had consistently good products and have stayed current with nutritional research in the years I have been familiar with them:

Buckeye
    Progressive
    Triple Crown
    McCauley Bros

My caveat, though, is that nothing is black and white. Feed companies change-- they change hands, they change staff, they change formulas, or they change suppliers. Sometimes a "good" feed company has a product in their line I consider mediocre, or an average feed company can have manufacture a specific product that is better quality than their other feeds.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    But some of the feeds ARE high in sugars The textured Performance 14% is 38% NSC. That's their highest, by far, as the next highest is 22.8%, the Training Formula.

There's not a major company out there, that I know of, that doesn't have at least one "crappy" feed, either high in sugars, or low in quality ingredients, or both.
    Sugars & NSC are not synonymous JB. A foodstuff can be high in sugars, but low in NSC like grass pasture: 12.1% NSC, but 10.3% of that is sugar. That being said, nearly all of TC's feed are above 5% for sugar content (water soluble carbohydrates [WSC]).

1 members found this post helpful.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Star Milling (specifically the Integrity line, which is what I feed).
    The Evil Chem Prof

Purina (I only care for 2 of their products, Equine Junior and Equine Senior. Won't feed any other of their stuff).
    Nutrena
    ADM Alliance
    Star Milling/ Integrity line
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Purina!

Having researched its eminent parent companies, Land of Lakes, and Nestle', both top food companies, I have difficultly with the endless bad mouthing on the COTH.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

4 members found this post helpful.

Seminole
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Templeton Feed Company! I moved my boy to a different boarding facility whereas normally he's self cared, didn't want them to go through my personal 20 minute routine so I had to get him bagged feed (just for 3 months.) After being at the feed store for 30 minutes, agonizing over making a decision because I couldnt afford the 2.5 hour trip up to Templeton, I got TC for him. We open it up, find a piece of plastic right there. UGH.

However, I've heard great things about pennfield and blue seal (/Seminole?)

Quote Originally Posted by realrush89 View Post
    Okay, say you were going to open your own feed store and you had the wherewithall to stock absolutely any brand of horse feed from anywhere in the U.S. What do you think are the absolute best feed companies out there? For the sake of brevity, please just say companies, not individual feeds. (For example: Triple Crown. Not TC Senior, Complete, etc, just say Triple Crown.) TIA!
    I haven't read the entire thread yet, but if I were opening a store I would factor in my location and the local availability of the certain best feeds. For example, in my area it's kinda hard to come by Buckeye, so if I were opening a store I'd want to have Buckeye.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Where are you located? That will be the big factor on what you bring in. The only companies that are national are Purina and Nutrena...both are far less in quality than the majority of companies stated previously.

The ultra premium feed companies are:
    Triple Crown, Seminole/Buckeye, Pennfield (going away), Progressive.

So if you live in TX and want Seminole...forget it. They don't distribute there and to UPS or some other frieght will make it cost prohibitive. So you need to investigate the feeds that distribute in your area and then ask the question again with those available feeds.

Also, remember that you need to be able to service all price points. Not everyone can afford or wants the premium feeds. Those people that DO...are there enough of them to make your business successful?

Have you done your market research?

Good luck.

Pennfield, followed by Triple Crown, then, maybe, a distant third, Purina (and mostly because I'm familiar with it).

Keep in mind, a lot depends on WHERE you are located. Some of these brands I've never heard of or only know about because they are sold in states I have wintered in. Pennfield is no longer available on the West Coast, so if you're in Cali, as much as I love the stuff and think it is the best stuff EVER, you wouldn't carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage_Diva333 View Post
    ADM Alliance
    In 40+ years of feeding horses, lots of horses, this is the best all around feed company I've encountered. I've tried and liked TC, Seminole, and Southern States feeds. I've tried and didn't care for Purina (fed it for years because it was convenient), Nutrena, DuMOR, and a few that are only milled very locally. ADM Alliance makes one great feed for the money.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Seminole!! I wish i could get someone around here to carry it.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Tribute all the way! Great feed and not crazy expensive.
    "I have puppies instead of children. I'd rather ruin my carpet than my life."

Purina

Nutrena

Fertrell minerals

I have no experience with other brands so I would carry what I know to be good because I have used them with excellent results.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    LMF - In my opinion it is the best out of my local choices.

I took my mare off of it for a year, tried some different feeds, she didn’t thrive on the competitors.

Put her back on LMF, and she is keeping her weight, feet look great, and coat now glows.
    My gelding had been fed Safechoice most of his life and I sent him to training for 18 months and they feed LMF Super Supplement. Needless to say his coat actually glows it is so shiny. I am a believer and have switched all my horses over.
    Sadly we are limited in the brands of feeds that we can get here...........
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Another vote for ADM alliance, although to be fair, a lot of the feeds mentioned are not available here.

Tribute & Triple Crown