The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shopping for a hunt coat, grrrr.... help?

I'm looking for a hunt coat but can't seem to find my size. I hate browsing sites, opening every single coat in hopes that it comes in a 16L. And if it does, hey, its a dressage coat. Or its $800.

Any suggestions on specific brands/models that fit longer than others? It needs to be long in the back, long in the sleeve. I'd prefer a trendy color pattern, not the same old boring black or blue, BUT, at this point I need something that fits.

And I tell ya, I've tried the plus size coats. No thanks. Sure, they fit my chest, they fit my hip, and I could smuggle a watermelon in the waist. And the arms are typically too wide.

So, you taller riders who aren't a size 4... what do you wear?

Suggestions are great, links are better
    If forwards doesn't work, go sideways!

You don't have to spend 800 dollars for a custom coat! I know of friends with Marigolds and Hayward Sportswear that were less and more towards 500. Also there is always the option of having the waist tailored
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Try the slim coats. Counter intuitive, I know, but for tall riders that aren't thin as a rail or have a ton of extra of weight in the middle, they work out really well. That way you can go up in size to get the bust and additional length, but not have a bunch of extra in the waist. I got a GP techlite for like $350 in 18slim and it is perfect for me.

Yes, slim helps too! I have a 4 slim tall, RJ soft-shell, and it fits much better than the normal 4 did because it's form fitting through the waist.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, I am a size 4, but I'm tallllll, and I've had the best luck with RJ Classics. They come in long, and usually have a decent amount of sleeve that can be let down if what's there isn't quite enough. Even their lower line is really, really nice - especially for the price.

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

Does the 16 long RJ's not fit ?

Try a local consignment shop. Some of the jackets may have been altered by the oringal owner and are now your size.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875