The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post

I'll look into poodles. I've never been around one and they have never made any lists that I've made- do they have to be groomed into the very fancy hairdos or can they have a more natural look?
    You can groom poodles pretty much however you want. My male is currently in a show coat and will be until he gets his last major win. My girls are in modified German cuts (see link below).

You don't *have* to shave their feet and face. I like the look and its WAY easier maintenance wise. They don't have hair on their feet to track mud and muck into the house and their feet wipe clean easier that way. I like the shaved faces for similar reasons. I shave my guys tails down to 1/4" just like their bodies. I like their legs left a little longer, but I do a lot of client dogs in that 1/4" all over. I shave everybody's ears down pretty short. I do a modified German cut. This, but shorter. http://www.poodleforum.com/9-poodle-...rman-trim.html.

If you like the "goldendoodle" look, you can cut a poodle to look like that also. Don't shave the feet, don't shave the face, just do one longer length (generally you'll get the look with 1-2" hair on the body) all over and what we call a "teddy bear head" (google 'goldendoodle teddy bear').

I groom for a living, so I groom everybody myself. Expect a standard poodle to be around $60 and a miniature to be around $45 if you're in the midwest. I imagine it goes up in areas with higher cost of living. Poodle hair WILL mat and you will have to either brush the dog between grooms, or get the dog groomed often enough to prevent matting. I can generally wait about 8wks before the girls start looking like fraggles and start to tangle. My male is a blue and his hair is much softer which means its a whole lot more obnoxious to maintain. In show coat, grooming is a weekly thing. Shaved down in the German cut, he needs to be done once a month. The girls are black and cream and have way better hair than the male. His sucks. I would recommend black or cream if you want low maintenance. Blue, red and chocolate all tend to have much softer, wavy hair (as opposed to curly) that mats more easily than the blacks and creams.

If you want to learn to groom yourself, this is the place to do it. The Notes from the Grooming Table book is regarded as a grooming bible of sorts. http://www.learn2groomdogs.com/groom...rman-trim.html

If you want an adult dog or older puppy, I recommend contacting breeders. A lot of them place retired show dogs for free or close to it. They're usually finished by the time they are 2 or 3. The minis' breeder doesn't ever keep males long term. She'll raise them, show them and then pretty much just give them to a good home when she's done showing them.

Well, I have had mini poodles for over 30 yrs and I did not recommend one to the OP after reading her list of criteria, mainly because they are very attached to their person and don't do well spending a lot of time by themselves. Mine spend 8-9h by themselves while I'm at work, but once I come home we go to the dog park, or trail riding, or to agility class, or they simply go in the car with me if I have to run errands. If my daughters are home, they will take them jogging, canoeing, boating, or simply for a good run in the snow. They are super smart and love the mental and physical stimulation, but mostly to be with their person. Once tired, they will curl up on your lap. If OP is more into a velcro dog, poodles are perfect. If not, look at other breeds.

Quote Originally Posted by quikchik View Post
    Corgis are great, but I have had Corgis & JRT, and to me they have similar personalities, both a little stubborn. We mess with ours a lot, so didn't have any issues, both well behaved & smart.
    I would say Border Collie. Mine is friendly, agile and freakishly smart. She weighs about 35lbs. I can take her anywhere and never worry about how she will act around others. They are a little high strung, and you can make one a nervous dog if you aren't careful. She stays inside all day, loose, and very rarely makes any kind of mess. (We do occasionally find a napkin that she has pulled out of the trash & shredded!)
    No way will OP begin to provide enough exercise for a border collie. Mini poodle is a great choice. Since she wants one older than two, I'd go to breeder websites and look for retired show stock. I'm assuming OP will know how to tell a puppy mill breeder (Puppies always available! Will ship anywhere!) from a reputable breeder (who will ask you more questions than you ask her).
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by candysgirl View Post
    There are 3 AKC recognized sizes of poodles. Toy = under 10" Miniature = 10-15" Standard = technically anything over 15", however, they're generally in the 18-24" range if you're talking about a true standard and not just a mini that went over size.

I believe the 'moyen' size you are referring to is the equivalent of AKC's miniature. I forget which kennel club uses the 'moyen' term.
    This is what I'm referring to - I guess the "moyen" is not a recognized size in the US? Too bad.
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/k/kleinpoodle.htm
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I'll look into poodles. I've never been around one and they have never made any lists that I've made- do they have to be groomed into the very fancy hairdos or can they have a more natural look?
    You can have any cut you want. I've never had mine into a fancy haircut (much to my groomer's chagrin - she would have LOVED to play with my dog, lol). My dog is an apricot and has soft hair. Before owning a poodle I never knew that the hair type varies depending on the color (coarse / rough / soft etc).
    I don't brush her in-between grooming sessions because she really doesn't like it, and her hair stays relatively mat-free.
    She's a great dog with a great sense of humor. Before her, I've always had mutts from the SPCA, but she sold me to the Std poodles!

One more tip - I was careful and did some research before deciding on a breeder, because some of them in-breed their dogs too much which results into altered temperement (aggressive etc) and bad health.

ps - my dog is 13 in the above picture, and going strong, still running around like a pup!
    Last edited by sophie; Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:10 AM.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I posted on off topic day about miniature Australian shepherds and now I'm not sure they are the right breed for me, as much as I want one. So I decided I'd post my dream list for a dog and see if anyone can advise me on what breed (s) to look at- I'm perfectly fine with a mutt but still want to know what kind of crosses to keep an eye out for when I scan the shelters and rescues looking for a 2 year old or older dog. This will probably be long, but here goes.

1. I live in an apartment. I'm moving in June, hopefully to a house with a fenced yard, but till then the dog needs to cope with apartment life.

2. I'm gone from about 8:30-3:30 most week days so the dog needs to be able to cope with that.

3. Needs to be good with other dogs.

4. I do some of the find a dog surveys on the web but they keep suggesting terriers and I'm just not wild about them. I've been around several JRT and their manners and recall has not impressed me. Besides, I don't like the looks of most of them. A West Highland terrier or Australian terrier might be okay looks wise.

4. Needs to be under 40 lb. But, I've been mostly around medium/large dogs and so don't want a tiny dog.

5. Cannot have pitbull or other supposedly dangerous breeds in it.

6. I can do a morning on leash walk/jog and about an hour at an off leash park in the afternoon walking and tossing a ball, but that's it for exercise.

7. I'd really like to try agility.

9. I like the intelligence of herding dogs.

I think that's it- Is there even a chance that anything will meet my requirements?

Thanks!
    Pembrooke Welsh Corgi.
    They are the big dogs in a little body. I got mine when I lived in an apartment. Every weekend I would take him to the dog park along with going to the barn every evening. If we didn't go to the barn I would take him on a run/walk with me. He does fine with me gone from 8-5 daily. Awesome with other dogs, horses, cats, and even children! Corgis are a herding dog, so you get everything your looking for, but much smaller package. I highly recommend corgis!

looking at your list of traits, I translate them into: moderate exercise/ small to medium size/ friendly tendencies/ easy to train, no preference on grooming needs.
    Looking through my favorite breed rater, this produces the following rather short list of breeds:

cocker spaniel
    field spaniel
    american eskimo
    cavalier king charles spaniel
    lowchen
    minature schnauzer
    poodle
    shetland sheepdog
    swedish vallhund
    corgis (either type)

shelties, corgis, vallhunds are all herding dogs obviously; poodles and cavaliers are all fine choices for anyone. If you decide to look at spaniels or schnauzers, be aware that poorly bred specimens are common.

Interesting. No we don't have that as a recognized size here. They'd just be called small standards or over size minis. I kind of wish we did though! They're a nice size!

I think you're making more work for yourself by trying to narrow it down to what breeds you should look for in a mutt. Most of the time the breeds in a mutt at the shelter can't be accurately identified, so you might be expecting your Chow/Lab mix to act like this, when it's really a Newfie/Beagle/etc mix, and won't act like any breed profile anyway.

Just check out local shelters/Petfinder and see what they have that might fit the bill. I have three mutts and while they are on the large side for what you want, they would otherwise fit your criteria. Except for the Chow/Lab?? cross, not sure he'd go for the agility. I don't think it will be that hard to find something at a shelter. About the time you go there looking for a poodle cross, you'll find something totally different.

I think the most important factor is to get something with an energy level that matches the time you have, because that is where a lot of issues come into play. Lots of non-herding dogs are smart, yet not so smart as to cause you problems. And the dog surveys online are a joke. They always suggest some off the wall breed when all I really need are my goofy mutts.

I think I commented on your other thread...my vote is still for a greyhound. So many need homes and they are great dogs, and fit all your criteria except for the weight.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

^^ This.
    Retired greyhounds make awesome apt dogs
    Just check for greyhound rescue in your area - you can go out & meet the people & dogs & try fostering too

I lucked out when I adoped my dog years ago. She was some sort of herding mix, looked like a lightly-built small black GSD, about 25 lbs. Great at beginner agility, ready to run and play at the drop of a hat, and happy to lay around the house all day. Smart, sweet and a looker. Can't count the number of times strangers came up to us and asked what breed she was (love mutts for that). I never had a fenced yard, but was able to give her plenty of exercise on a retractible Flexi-Lead---lunge a horse, lunge a dog.

Why not some sort of Cockapoo type mix? They're a bit sturdier than poodles and Yorkipoos, don't shed much, and are really cute. Or a Border Terrier (if you are able to exercise), which aren't as terrier-like as others.

You may go to a shelter with your heart set on one type, and fall in love with something completely different. Like I did. I wanted a greyhound but was told that the winding stairs in our Cape Cod house would be difficult for one.

Regarding poodles...we have a standard. He's about 29" at the shoulder--quite a tall dog. Not much of a barker. Very snuggly and lovey. Needs exercise.

As for grooming, typically costs about $100. Did it ourselves for several years, but don't have adequate space to do it ourselves in the new house. We do the same length all over--keep him at about 1/2 inch. No poof on the head, ears or tail. I do close clip his feet and muzzle/eyes just to keep things a little cleaner. Someone mentioned clipping a few times a year. I personally couldn't go that long. We normally clipped him every other weekend when we did it ourselves, have him done every 4-5 weeks professionally. If you don't keep up on the brushing between grooms and especially if you give baths in between without brushing, you can end up with matting.

Our poodle is very smart, very obedient, pretty awesome dog. But he does require exercise.

i know there's no genetic difference between the 3 classifications of poodles but I have never enjoyed any of the smaller poodles I've been around. Have liked the standards though. Maybe it's just how people raise/treat the smaller ones? Not sure, but have only ever felt like kicking the small ones into the next county for all the yapping, biting and humping. (joking, I would never do that, but I generally feel that way about most smaller dogs. I think it's the people, not the dog though.)
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

While I like the idea of you going to a rescue, the reality is that you will be rejected from most if not all rescues. I was disqualified because I didnt have a house with a fenced yard, and I know many other people who were rejected for the same reason. They ignored the fact that I am a runner and take the dog as often as she wants AND have a fenced dog park down the street.

Shelters usually have lower standards for placement but you may need an experienced dog friend to make sure you come home with something suitable. It is easy to fall for the sad eyes.

Just go for a mutt is my advice. I know many lab mixes who are about 40 pounds, including my munchkin. I had to rule out pitties because of house insurance but otherwise a pocket pittie would have been at the top of my list. Boston terriers are fun. A bit of hound mixed in makes them slow down a bit. Lab or golden is great for social dogs. Shepherd mixed in adds intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Abberlaze View Post
    While I like the idea of you going to a rescue, the reality is that you will be rejected from most if not all rescues. I was disqualified because I didnt have a house with a fenced yard, and I know many other people who were rejected for the same reason. They ignored the fact that I am a runner and take the dog as often as she wants AND have a fenced dog park down the street.

Shelters usually have lower standards for placement but you may need an experienced dog friend to make sure you come home with something suitable. It is easy to fall for the sad eyes.

Just go for a mutt is my advice. I know many lab mixes who are about 40 pounds, including my munchkin. I had to rule out pitties because of house insurance but otherwise a pocket pittie would have been at the top of my list. Boston terriers are fun. A bit of hound mixed in makes them slow down a bit. Lab or golden is great for social dogs. Shepherd mixed in adds intelligence.
    It depends on the rescue. Just put your limitations out in the beginning. Most will be very honest with you about their requirements.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I have 6 dogs
    2 German shepherds who need a job or all hell breaks loose
    1 JRT best farm dog ever, perfect recall. Never needs a leash
    1 Parson russell terrier. Laziest dog on earth. I forget she's even here. Fat as a tick.
    1 Corgie/Border Collie who just came in the house one day and never left. This would be the perfect dog for you. Portable. Happy to just sleep on the couch when no one is home. Loves to play when people are home. Loves all people and animals. She is awesome. Happiest dog ever and loves cuddles at night.
    and
    1 4lb chihuahua who is the neediest thing on earth.

I would take 6 of the border/corgi's over my 5 purebred dogs anyday. No health issues. Just a happy healthy fun dog.

I think Mutt is a dog who belongs to no single organizationally recognized breed. And that will be the good option for you.

the problem with "mutts" is you don't know what you are getting. At all. If that doesn't matter to you, they are fine; but if you have any kind of specific needs/desires, or ambitions to compete in a particular sport, you are more likely to end up with what you want if you stick with a particular breed. Attempts to guess the breeds that go into mutts are usually quite wrong, and it's very hard to accurately evaluate the temperament/behavior of a dog in a shelter situation. Immature mutts you have no idea what size they will eventually reach, which is problem if you have an upper size limit. You also have no health guarantees- and yes, mutts have genetic diseases. In many areas, mutts are more likely to have genetic diseases than are well-bred purebreds, because no one carefully screens their parents for problems.
    Then there is the problem of puppy raising- what happens to a puppy between 5 weeks and 16 weeks of age has a profound impact on how the adult dog behaves. Many "mutts" in my area are puppy-mill products that spent that critical time period living in tiny cages followed by living in cages in a pet store, and as a consequence they have very abnormal adult behaviors that can make it challenging to live with these dogs, and forget about trying to do any kind of sport with them.

I'm the last person to recommend a specific breed to you since the heart tells you that and many are mixes. But if it has to be alone most of the day until 3:30 a more mature dog would fit - puppies who are left alone too long develop destructive tendencies (unless crated ). There are breeds that are not too energetic that would fit, or you could use doggie day care. dog is a dog first, and then your pet.

...too bad greyhounds are too big. They like sleeping. Miss mine a lot, after her being gone for years.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I have a mini schanuzer and I LOVE HIM. he's super mellow and has been since the day I got him, he was supposed to be 12 or so lbs but is currently around 25 (just because he grew not because he's fat) he's an easy keeper and happy doing whatever makes me happy.