The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default OMG, freaking out over horse surgery next week

My horse has chronic mineralization and a medial meniscus tear in her right stifle. We did IRAP on her and now next week is the surgery.

I am freaking out. This is a general anesthesia thing. Never had to do anything like this for any of my horses. It's some weird freak thing that she shouldn't even have. Usually sport horses or horses started too young have it. Which is DEF not her. I didn't have insurance because she's pretty much a pasture pet with light riding, so what could possible happen. UGH. Luckily a friend of mine is helping with the bills.

Anyway, I'm going to go watch for sure and try to get pics in case anybody is interested and if I can keep from fainting. I was hoping it would take my mind off of what's going on if I'm looking through a lens. We'll see.

PS did you guys notice we got some new smilies??

Default Don't freak out

Freaking out is not good for you or your horsey, so just keep breathing. Surgery is usually uneventful, it's your rehab plan that should be keeping you up at night! It was disconcerting to see the way my horse friend "collapsed" when anesthesized, and I made a point not to be there in recovery because that can be scary when they get up and are confused/tipsy.

You will be fine and your horse will be too.

I agree, don't watch the recovery. Everything will be fine.