The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    like this?
    You've been watching me get on my horse, I see!!!! Sometimes I think this one's more appropriate!!!

This is my best friend.

So is any available stump, log jump, grain can, etc... I throw my back out almost every time I try to mount from the ground. Dolly's an inch or so shy of 17-1, and Ally's 17-1 on the money.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

To me the length of the legs has zero to do with the ride you get. I ride everything from a 14.3 welsh cob to a 17.1 draft cross and at 5.4 you'd thing the big one would feel too big. But actually the little one has a loftier stride, tons more suspension and is way harder to ride! Now that the 17/1 hh guy is schooling 2nd/3rd level, he's a joy to ride and I forget how big he is...until I'm grooming him! Stop focusing on the size and enjoy the horse.

3 members found this post helpful.

I just don't see really what the problem is. Like many have already said... He's nice in every other way and people WANT big horses. If a big but otherwise really nice horse bothers you so much, I bet you anything you can sell him and get an equally nice horse a hand or two smaller for less money. Sell him, buy something different, and pocket the difference. It really shouldn't be a big thing.

My last gelding matured to 16-2. He had a full sister a couple years later who looked like she also was going to be a nice sized horse when she came in to be prepped for futurity classes as a yearling... However, she stopped at 15-2! Plenty of body but didn't get the height.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ponyrider212 View Post
    The trainer would benefit from the commission from the sale from the breeder, the training rides she thought she would be putting on him, and then the inevitable sale when I realized he was too big for me. I would LOVE to give her the benefit of the doubt, but from my experience with her, she doesn't deserve it.

She would not get a commission if I bought an older horse from another source that she had no involvement in. No commission on that sale, no need for training rides, and no commission on another sale. So yes, there was the potential for a fair amount of money for her involved, and for a long while at that.
    This post here made you lose a bunch of credibility in your complaint session.
    So now the trainer made you buy a baby that required training just to make a buck off you too?
    You bought a yearling. No one pulled the wool over your eyes that you were buying a yearling. Trainer did not make you buy a yearling. You chose to buy a yearling.
    You could have easily said 'no thanks I would rather buy an older horse from another source'.

You are getting yourself angry and worked up about a conversation from four years ago that the breeder claims to remember a certain way.

If you simply want to be angry that you bought the wrong horse then be angry. No reason to point fingers at everyone.

BTW, there are short really athletic hard to put together horses too.

16 members found this post helpful.

I'm still just amazed, OP, that you're so very convinced that final height is so easy to predict at 1 year. Who knows what variables kick in?

Geez, my parents--both 5'8".
    My sister--5'8".
    Me--5'4".

Wholly crap, I'm a whole hand shorter than the rest of my family! I wonder if they knew when I was one that I'd be short?

4 members found this post helpful.

Forget what the trainer did/didn't tell you. Unless you just started in the horse world recently, what made you think you could buy a yearling projected to top out at the tippeetop range and be safe the horse wouldn't grow taller?! That's what young horses do, right? Sometimes unpredictably.

If he's too tall and you're not happy, sell him and find something else. No big deal. It happens. Young horses turn into all sorts of things-- a dressage prospect turns out more like a hunter, a pony measures over, etc. If the growth makes him not suitable for you, that's life. Sell and move on.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

2 members found this post helpful.

Ponyrider, I understand being unhappy with being lied to. But is it just a hunter thing that people accept being told who they can talk to by their trainers? WTF? No one tells me who I can contact. Why would a breeder not want to talk to a potential buyer, one who can clearly afford a nice horse?

Dear horse people: the second that your trainer tells you who you are allowed to talk to, particularly as it pertains to horse purchases: WALK AWAY. FAST. I can't imagine accepting that from anyone for 10 seconds.

Buying any young horse is a crapshoot, but I am getting that if you had known that your horses parents were big, and had a history of throwing big foals, you would have gone a different direction.

Since we know that horses are a huge investment of $$ and mental health, it's bananas to let anyone limit your information before you make a decision. Trainers are not doing you a favor to do business with you. You are writing the checks, and if they don't answer reasonable factual questions, you just fire them. Done.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

14 members found this post helpful.

It's really not unheard of for a horse that is still of growing age to add more (or fewer) inches to its height than expected. If it was 16hh and three years old and your trainer was guaranteeing you it wouldn't grow two more it is really on you if you believe it after you have had any kind of experience in the horse industry. It could grow a half inch or another hand. That is life, not a misrepresentation.

Suck it up and learn how to ride it. The pros have to learn how to ride all sizes and temperaments and they have two arms, two legs and one @$$ just like anybody else. If you go buy something that is 15.3 that is snarky and bucks then what? Get yet another? At some point every rider has to learn to ride what they're sitting on.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ponyrider212 View Post
    He was around 15.2 as a long yearling. I did ask about his parentage, and was told by my trainer that the information would be forthcoming. I never got it. The horse wasn't registered, but I found out today the breeder does keep all the records and DNA samples, etc, and I finally have all the information I've been waiting for.
    That's a darn leggy long yearling.

OP, you bought a baby who was already only 2 inches away from your preferred height and you're calling foul?

Face it. You're pissed about the breeding info being withheld and you're just attaching your emotions about the big horse being a bit intimidating to ride to the whole mess. Plotting revenge on a former trainer is just unconstructive and won't make the horse less of a challenge. Sort it out and ride the horse in front of you. Before he gets any BIGGER.
    Last edited by SmartAlex; Jan. 4, 2013 at 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling

15 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

OP:
    I read through all 5 pages and I still fail to understand how you felt you were guaranteed a long yearling would not go over your ideal height.

I'm sure you realize horses are not assembled from parts in a factory, they are living things that grow at their own rate.
    Nature does not care what your schedule says.

Your former trainer may be the World's Largest Sleazeball, but she is not responsible for the horse growing larger than expected.
    Neither is the breeder.

OTOH, you have to shoulder some ofthe blame for being so wishy-washy when it came to buying through the trainer without any input from you as Buyer.
    You agreed to the terms - now you have to deal with the consequences.

It doesn't sound like the horse is a total loss.
    You say yourself he has a decent foundation - thanks to you, right? - and that this has been acknowledged by your current pro.
    If you are truly uncomfortable with his size by all means SELL and get something you are happy with & enjoy riding.

FWIW:
    My just-shy-of-16h TB was a far more complicated ride than my 17.2 TWH.
    Talented as all getout, but no pushbutton packer O/F or on the flat.
    Now I have a combo: 17h+ WB with the talent & edge of the TB, all he has in common with the Walker is size.
    He's no baby - turned 18 this Summer - but I am learning to ride him and expect to fully enjoy him as much as I loved my little Porsche of a TB.
    And I am no kid, 60 is in my rearview
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

4 members found this post helpful.

The taller the horse the smaller the jump feels IMO
    Race training and retraining Thoroughbreds.

Is no one else weirded out by the OP? She said in her fantasies that she wanted to CUT HIS HEAD OFF. Creeps me out.

But, in reality, OP, suck it up.

20 members found this post helpful.

I wish that was the worst my trainer ever did.

Giving OP the benefit of the doubt...whether the trainer and breeder could have predicted the size or not, they seemed to be trying to do just that. If it's such a crapshoot, why were they trying to assure her that the horse wouldn't get this big? As pros, shouldn't they have known a 15.2 yearling is going to be a big 'un? The client is paying for advice, and yes she should be able to rely on that advice. Maybe the breeder really isn't one who talks to know-nothing rich clients, half of whom are minors, and only deals with their trainers. Not so hard to imagine.

OP, you've spent four years waiting for the baby to grow up, and now he's not what you wanted. I can see why you would be upset.

I think after you sleep on it you will see that it isn't so bad though. I do think he will grow more, IME with warmblood babies. If I was you I would test the water a bit to put my mind at ease. Put an ad up on dreamhorse, represent him fairly, but price him as high as you think he could possibly sell for. And see if you get any calls. He might be worth a lot more than you think if he's that nice and big to boot.

And look at what's out there in your size range while you're at it. I'm sure you can find a nice horse that is the same value or less than the big baby you aren't so happy riding. Same kind of horse, but smaller? Yeah I think you'll find that.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

Since you are in contact with the breeder and love the horse otherwise, why not ask if she/he has something shorter that she is willing to trade? Please choose a mature adult for whom there will be no guessing as to finished height

6 members found this post helpful.

Wow, I never thought of suing my trainer and horse's breeder, but maybe I should?! Bought a 2 year old that was scrawny, maybe 15 hands as a 2 year old and both trainer and breeder thought he'd end up my ideal 16.1 or less size. Wrongo...he grew and grew and ended up close to 17 hands. I better get an attorney!

I can understand being mad about the perceived deception, but I think at this point the OP should chalk it up to a life lesson and move on. Sell the horse or deal with it. You aren't with that trainer anymore, so no point dwelling on the past...if you aren't enjoying the horse, let him go to someone that will and find yourself something you have fun riding. Good luck.

So what would you do if you didn't know the trainer lied to you and in your name? Are you wanting to sell him or feeling confused over it all because he isnt what you wanted? You've have the horse four years already. If you've been unhappy with him the whole time, regardless of what the trainer did or may have done, then sell him. He isn't what you wanted and you're not having fun. He isn't and has not been the horse you wanted. Your options are: keep him and get over it, sell him and get the horse you want.

It's simple. If the height bothers you THAT much, sell him and buy a smaller horse. I have to admit I don't get it (is it a fear issue? What?) but to each their own.
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

From what I've read, it's not that the OP is angry that the horse grew to be taller than what the trainer told her it would be.

It's that the breeder told the trainer it would top out at around 17.1 because the trainer told the breeder OP wanted a tall horse when OP emphatically did not and then trainer turned around and told OP that the breeder said horse would grow to be within OP's desired size range. I would be upset too, if I found this out, whether or not you can predict a horse's final height at whatever age, it doesn't change that, according to the OP, the trainer blatantly finagled facts so that OP would buy this horse instead of one that suits her better since size seems to be such a sticking point.

OP has also said that at the time she really trusted trainer, and presumably really wanted a horse from this breeder's program and was thus willing to go along with what trainer said in order to get a nice horse from the breeder. She's not the first person to let a trainer determine how their 'horse life' is run and she won't be the last and it sounds like she's also learned her lesson in that respect.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Suck it up, ride your horse or sell him. Those are the two options really.
    I'm still sort of stuck on someone telling me "Hey, here's a great horse but whatever you do, do NOT talk to the person who knows him best".
    Really?
    Kerri

2 members found this post helpful.