The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NCRider View Post
    1-Debbie MacDonald is a professional dressage rider who had an Olympic caliber large horse, not an adult amateur with one horse. The option of trading in Brentina for an equivalent smaller model didn't exist. Even DM took horse size into account when shopping. From Flying Changes article "Sometimes Debbie might look at a horse and think it's too big for her, but then Bob might point out that it has a narrow build, or a certain flexibility, and she'll try it. "I can tell usually in one ride if it will work," she says."

2-DM may have conformation that made riding a large horse possible even though she herself was short.

3-AFAIK Margie Engle isn't a dressage rider.
    Oh right, because the forces involved in landing off 5'6" square oxers are totes ladida, certainly in comparison to sitting pirouette canter.

And OP appears to be a hunter/jumper rider.

3 members found this post helpful.

Margie Engle has enough experience with enough horses that she knows whether it will work or not.

OP does not.

Why, you ask? Because she also doesn't know that horses can grow unpredictably. Betcha $100 that Margie does.

The only way you learn that is to do it. To ride and ride and ride and ride and ride imperfect horses and bad ones and wide ones and skinny ones and...

The OP is uncomfortable, yes, but the only way we grow is through discomfort. She has to decide whether she wants to grow or not. I'd always advise growth, but I'm a PITA like that and I have watched far too many people decide to sit in "comfort-land" both personally and professionally.

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post

The OP is uncomfortable, yes, but the only way we grow is through discomfort. She has to decide whether she wants to grow or not. I'd always advise growth, but I'm a PITA like that and I have watched far too many people decide to sit in "comfort-land" both personally and professionally.
    Well, the OP also has a horse that I bet 90 percent of us would kill for. Yet, she'd rather fantasize about "chopping his head off." Seriously, where's the fruitbat?!

1 members found this post helpful.

Margie Engle has enough experience with enough horses that she knows whether it will work or not.

OP does not.

Why, you ask? Because she also doesn't know that horses can grow unpredictably. Betcha $100 that Margie does.
    Betcha anyone that got through middle school science classes knows mammals can grown unexpectedly throughout their youth/adolescence.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I do agree, Tha Ridge. My initial gut reaction to the OP's posts was not kind.
    Last edited by OneGrayPony; Jan. 4, 2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Mixed tenses.

I'm not saying that the OP shouldn't know.

I'm saying that she doesn't, ergo she's no M. Engle and really perhaps may not be judging accurately whether she's uncomfortable and should sell vs uncomfortable and needs to learn.

I vote for learn, but that's because I tend to be "for growth".

The Cave of Caerbannog in summer, Castle Aaaargh in winter

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Well, the OP also has a horse that I bet 90 percent of us would kill for. Yet, she'd rather fantasize about "chopping his head off." Seriously, where's the fruitbat?!
    Quote Originally Posted by ponyrider212 View Post
    I might have to do some major forgiveness work when I think about how I ended up with him, though. Talk about a spiritual challenge!
    OP, if this horse drives you to such fantasies and you seriously believe that forgiving your trainer is a major spiritual job for you, then it tells me a lot about your comfort zone and your ability to roll with the punches so to speak. You are probably better off selling your horse, for his sake as well as yours, and getting something much more predictable.

Seriously, there are 26 families of little kids and teachers in Connecticut who can tell you what a real spiritual challenge is. Or Izanalter or Tamara in TN or so many others. A trainer who didn't accurately predict a yearling's eventual height is something you should simply.get.past.Sell your horse and forget your anger.

I like logical people---they provide a nice contrast to the real world.

8 members found this post helpful.

Meh, I raised a filly from a weanling that ended up 16.2 and gawky and gangly. There's handy and adjustable 16.2 and there's aw geeez where'd my hoofies go aww jeez sawwy 16.2.

I ride some coocoo trails, I didn't do as much flat landing as I used to, so MooMoo was not a fit for me.

So I sold her.

I didn't think about cutting her head off or suing anyone, I just flipping SOLD her. Now she's with a lady who digs her like she's the cat's pajamas, and she is over 6' tall herself and looks amazing on her, and the mare is headed toward a career in law enforcement, too. Her upheaded carriage and sweetness of temper are a perfect match in her new career. It's a win for everyone, and I didn't even have to cut her head off.

I'm not saying that the OP shouldn't know.

I'm saying that she doesn't, ergo she's no M. Engle and really perhaps may not be judging accurately whether she's uncomfortable and should sell vs uncomfortable and needs to learn.

I vote for learn, but that's because I tend to be "for growth".
    Sell or keep, either seem like paths forward. Blame and contemplate suing the trainer for selling you a bill of goods no 5th grader would swallow? THAT'S unproductive and not a path forward.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

5 members found this post helpful.

I also agree with that V. I've got my choir robe firmly on.

Have skipped most posts so apologize for any redundancy but:

Understandable that you might be upset with deception. Get over it. To do otherwise is to colossally waste your time. The issue is, you own a horse, do you like the horse, or not? If the only thing wrong with the horse is that he is 'too big,' well, the size you list is insanely marketable, so you shouldn't have any trouble selling at a profit and buying something you like better.

On the other hand, if you otherwise like the horse, why not challenge yourself as a horseman and learn to improve your riding on 'that' horse?

This is where I think about how lucky I've been to ride all different breeds, sizes, and shapes over the last half century. I can just get on and go and enjoy a horse for what it has to offer- any horse! Okay, I do need a mounting block for an 18 hander. Probably even a 17.2h. But in my experience size doesn't matter- I have ridden some terrific horses from 14 hands to 17.3 (the 18.1 h was okay, middle of the road on the spectrum).

Sadly, my trainer did not tell me exactly how tall the horse was when I bought him. As I said before, she forbade me to speak directly to the breeder, so all my information was coming from her at the time. I had seen several of this breeder's horses come through our barn, and none of them matured to over 16.1. I was told by my trainer that what I was getting would be similar to what I had seen--and helped my trainer start under saddle, even--but she told the breeder that I wanted something taller.
    So you bought the horse sight-unseen? What about a PPE? I purchased a new mare this summer and one of the first things the vet did was stick her. And I was standing there and had tried the horse twice!!! Seems to me that more questions should have been asked at the time of purchase and I'd be angry at myself for going along so blinded and trusted without covering the simplest of bases.

2 members found this post helpful.

ponyrider, I'm a nervous junior who's 5'9" and growing... you can send him my way!

But FWIW... and please don't misinterpret this... I think you're overreacting a little bit. This is an alter, right? So hopefully you've been around a while and have realized that COTH is just a very sarcastic, snarky bunch (which I personally love) and that they're all brilliant horsepeople that I would trust. And to a person who loves horses as much as this group does, it can come across as "off" when you mention Godfather-like fantasies about your horse who didn't do anything wrong. I'm very sorry you were misguided by your trainer, but (echoing others) he is very very marketable and I'm positive that someone will be willing to take him on. In fact, maybe you can find a horse just like him, except smaller, and perhaps propose a trade?
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

4 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

QUOTE=
    Multiple blank posts

Appears heat in this kitchen got too much for OP.
    Packed your ball and went home?
    Um...you can delete a post rather than just edit out all the verbage - unless you wanted to say nothing....

Oop, I stand corrected.
    Post History shows from 7:28P last night:
    "Thanks all, for the suggestions. Got just what I needed tonight from a lovely non-horse friend who helped me find an answer."

Gee, not wanting to share The Answer?
    Dang, all this popcorn, for nothing!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

The OP needs to "suck it up," be an adult, and get on with their life. If that means sell the horse then for God's sake sell the horse. If that means that she needs to take some lessons and improve her skills so she can manage the horse then take the lessons and get on with it.

When did we become such a nation of spoiled children???

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

8 members found this post helpful.

Anybody else think this was an ad? I mean don't we all want this horse now!? Poor thing, I want to take his big, beautiful self away from the mean lady who doesn't appreciate him. I am sure I am not the only one and he will find his next home right here on this thread. Asshat.

4 members found this post helpful.

I don't know why people have to be so nasty. I think you can say what you think without being hateful.

6 members found this post helpful.

Post History shows from 7:28P last night:
    "Thanks all, for the suggestions. Got just what I needed tonight from a lovely non-horse friend who helped me find an answer."
    Can't wait to see the lawsuit.

*sigh*

Darn, I was too late to the party! I have a lame, retired 15.1hh QH I'll trade! I love the big boys (and I'm only 5'1").
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Gah. I missed all the fun. Thanks to the poster who quoted the OP for the record. SMH. When I was horse shopping, my trainer told me I wasn't allowed to look at anything over 16h (I'm 5'3 in the morning)... I ended up with 17.1 Herself. I love it!

Get over yourself OP. You'll find that it'll probably be quite fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.