The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Hmmm...if it helps... I often rode like a hunter, longer reins, a bit forward. But I needed more control with a powerful, green, strong horse. My trainer has me sit deeper with shorter reins and consistent contact now. It really comforts the horse and gives me more control over such a large ride.

Oooh, what does your current trainer think about him and the fit?
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Oh, crikey, you bought the horse as a yearling - your guess was as good as theirs (breeder and trainer) as far as how tall he would get. Did you not measure him or inquire about the height of the parents before you wrote the check??
    If he is too big, sell him and get thee a more appropriate mount. If he 's not, enjoy him!
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

2 members found this post helpful.

Let me tell you my little story. My young guy is 6 and he is the third foal from my one mare. The other two are both 16.1. He is right now 17.3. What changed? I have no idea. He just didn't stop growing. Mom was 16.2 and dad was 16.3. I am happy with horses 15.3 -16.2 anything over that is hard for me to put together.

He is a love bug, so easy going, laid back and takes things as they come. Very lazy when it comes to jumping, but last week I jumped him 3'9" for the first time and he was so good. I have the hardest time staying with him some times and he can be hard to put together but I love him and wouldn't let him go for all the gold in the world.

Here he is jumping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyg3x...ature=youtu.be
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

1 members found this post helpful.

I can not believe this thread has gone on for 3 pages. I guess I'm the only one who read the 1st post, and just thought WTF?
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

15 members found this post helpful.

I love my Antares with big knee blocks!! It really helped my position and made me feel more secure over jumps.

How old is he? A 2007 would still be growing up and out...

My mare grew up until sometime between her 7th and 8th birthdays. At 8, I think she's filled out.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    I can not believe this thread has gone on for 3 pages. I guess I'm the only one who read the 1st post, and just thought WTF?
    Good, I'm over here!! **waving hand in the air** I made it through most of the first page and then cut over to the last, just to see if anything big had happened, like a good trainwreck goin' on, and nuthin'.

I'm so dense, I guess, I don't see the problem. You have a horse who is too big. You think trainer lied to make more money. You aren't comfy on mountain of horse. Big, big horses sell for lots more money than a smaller horse.

Sorry, I don't see the problem. Sell Mr. Mountain, take the $wag, find a horse you feel a suitable size, then proceed to train to hearts' content.

Am I missing something here??
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ponyrider212 View Post
    He's 5 now...
    He could grow another inch easily, even 2. And out.

Is he adjustable yet, pony rider? Being a big boy like that at 5 would have me guessing that he's probably going to change a lot in the next year or two as far as balance and adjustability goes. Do you think it's possible as he develops more that way that your comfort level on him might change?

I know that's a lot of "what ifs" but he sounds really nice with so many good qualities for you that it just might be jumping the gun to decide he's not "the one" for you. Then again, as someone else said upthread, if you don't enjoy riding him, he sounds VERY sellable for a price that would get you something you're really comfortable with.

Good luck with whatever direction you decide to go.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I'm going to go out on a limb and say your trainer and the breeder may have thought they were doing you a favor because *most* people want the taller horses. They may have thought you would grow to appreciate him and his size since it sounds like otherwise he was well represented. When it comes time to sell his size will be a huge help..jmho
    Race training and retraining Thoroughbreds.

A knowledgeable breeder can tell something about how tall a horse is expected to be, and the breeder did accurately predict how tall he would be, At the time of the sale, she told my trainer that he would be tall. My trainer told me he would be the size I wanted.

Ha! I bred my 16.2 had mare to our 16 hand stallion and got a 15 hand mare.

Bred our 15.1 hand mare to same stallion and got my 16.3 hand gelding! His 1/2 brother topped out at 16.

Great, I do distance riding and the majority of horses suited to this are around 15 hands and under!

I'm only 5'5" so I try to find rocks and stumps to remount out on the trail. But I would't trade my gelding for ANYTHING. Love my big guy.

Quote Originally Posted by certifiedgirl View Post
    I'm only 5'5" so I try to find rocks and stumps to remount out on the trail.
    Do you know "easy mount" stirrups? There is two types (one is metal and part of the stirrup itself and the other one is nylon and you can put it on or off.)

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    Do you know "easy mount" stirrups? There is two types (one is metal and part of the stirrup itself and the other one is nylon and you can put it on or off.)
    like this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

One last question, have you actually sticked him and got a measurement of 17.1 or do you just think he is that big? Most people think their horses are bigger than they are....

If he is only 5, he still has a ton of growing to do, so if you aren't comfortable on him now then I would agree with people that you are better off selling him. If he is as sane, sound, nice, and as big as you say than it should be an easy sell. Then go buy a 7/8 year old thats the size you want!
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

and only found out today about the deliberate deception. I am shocked by it, and really don't know what to do.
    Just let it go, seriously. What on earth would you achieve in the positive with all this handwringing over what happened four years ago?

You were not materially harmed and the difference between 16.2 and 17.1 is what, 3 inches?

7 members found this post helpful.

I am wondering if the OP has had lingering doubts about him for awhile, and this has triggered all of those doubts at once. Somehow it's more than just height. I do not wish to speak on the OP's behalf but I hardly think anyone would care so much about 3". If it was me, and I had bought a horse that I ended up uncomfortable with, but it was nobody's fault and I was trying to make it work... and then I found out that the years of discomfort, doubts, and insecurities surrounding the horse could have been prevented had I not been lied to I'd be feeling a little shocked too.

Given his height, he should fetch a handsome price. Use the money to buy a horse that's truly right for you. No horse should ever make you feel insecure or uncomfortable. If you do want to make it work with him OP, then kudos to you. In the end, it's what you decide is best. But please, sometimes it can be extremely tempting to play the blame game. Now that you have someone to blame for your situation it's easy to direct negative feelings and fuel them. Everyone has issues with it--it's human nature. We want to be angry at something--anything--as if it will somehow make us feel better or right the situation. It won't.

Keep your chin up, watch a few sappy or happy movies and try to decide what's best for you.

First, go get a ruler and mark 4in on a piece of paper, look at it, and realize this is what you are complaining about.
    You keep saying "tall horse" well what is"tall" to one may not be "tall" to someone else. There is no way to predict how tall a horse is going to get. And after I read that he was 15.2 when you got him, you should have known then that he would probably be close to or above your max height.
    Again, 4 inches, seriously write it down, looking at it on paper may make you feel better about it.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

6 members found this post helpful.

Really? Just inches? There's also length and substance. Sometimes it's not just the few inches. (That sounded rather weird). One of my mare's is only 16.2. She doesn't even look that big til you get on and realise how long her neck, shoulder, back and pelvis are. As well as being substantial in the girth and rib cage. We have a 17 hand ISH that doesn't feel as big once you're in the saddle. So I don't think it's just a few inches at the either. And I haven't sticked my mare in a year and being as how she outgrew her 6.9" rug and is now in a 7ft I'd say she's taller too. Only just starting to put it all together. I've got my just turning 3yo coming up. Will start her later in the year. She is now just at 15.2 but short coupled and super athletic. I'm hoping she just stays where she is but probably will make just under 16. I bred her to be small and so far so good. She will be much easier for me to ride. I'm only 5ft. So I get where OP is coming from. Surely we all get it may not just be the actual height.

However, I would not be fretting about being lied to. Sometimes genetics can be tricky. I've seen big mares throw under height consistently no matter what stallion and smaller mares throw larger than they should consistently. What you have is probably more valuable than what you want to buy. So it may end up a really good situation for you in the end.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    Really? Just inches? There's also length and substance. Sometimes it's not just the few inches. (That sounded rather weird). One of my mare's is only 16.2. She doesn't even look that big til you get on and realise how long her neck, shoulder, back and pelvis are. As well as being substantial in the girth and rib cage.
    Based on what I get from the OP's posts, it seems she believes that if her horse had stopped growing in height, he wouldn't be as "challenging" to ride.

In reality, as you describe, her horse could have stopped growing at the magic height and still be a strong, stridy, challenging ride.

All the more reason to forget all that happened in the past and concentrate on the present.

Ride or sell seem to be the only productive courses of action left.

9 members found this post helpful.

Talk about a first world problem...

All this trainer stuff is water under the bridge. Seriously if this is the worst you ever get screwed by someone in this industry then count yourself extremely lucky. He sounds like a nice horse, sell him and buy a fully grown horse next. Even if the trainer had not misled you, this horse easily could have would up bigger than they anticipated. It happens.

I do get it though... I am under 5' myself with short legs and a long torso so I am not a fan of the big guys myself either. Plenty of fish in the sea though, put him on the market and find the right one.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    like this?
    Close!