The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default George Morris coming to Alberta?

I just read that Mr. Morris is going to be teaching a clinic at the Mane Event in Red Deer, Alberta in April!

In part exciting, but curious as to who they will find brave enough to be demo riders for the clinic. They often seem to have trouble finding riders for the clinics...not sure if people will be keen to potentially be humiliated by him in such a public venue? I am hoping that some of the better barns will send riders though, so that the clinic is more useful. I imagine the spots to watch will fill up fast!
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

I was so excited, until I realized the dates conflict with show dates for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabaret SK View Post
    I was so excited, until I realized the dates conflict with show dates for me.
    Really
    Cancel the show & ride with George

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh man that is exciting! I wish I could ride in one of his clinics!

1 members found this post helpful.

There will always be another show. You may not ever get an opportunity to ride with GM again.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

3 members found this post helpful.

I agree with lauriep! I recently audited a GM clinic here in Ontario and was in awe of his ability to read a horse and rider and identify exactly what they needed to work on. Any comments he made were spot on - albeit a tad sarcastic - everyone could see why he said what he did. I witnessed first hand the "tacks on saddle" episode and can tell you that before he put the tacks on the saddle he had told the rider at least half a dozen times to get up off her horses back. Well - it worked - she got up off that horses back right quick! LOL She was a good sport about it too.

I would suggest to anyone that really wants to learn from a master to do whatever you can to get into a GM clinic. Even auditing was well worth the expense and time.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

I applied for the clinic. Hopefully I'm not subjecting myself to too much mental/physical torture!

I rode in the one day session of his clinic here in Ontario with a freshly dislocated elbow and a horse that was way too keen, thanks to not having enough work due to my elbow. I didn't once feel picked on or belittled, even though I wasn't riding up to par and my horse wasn't nearly as prepared as she should have been. Sure, he poked a bit of fun at me, but I didn't feel he meant it cruelly. He lost his temper or got a bit mean when people didn't follow his instructions or kept repeating mistakes. If you tried as hard as you possibly could (even if the results weren't stellar), he could tell and was happy with you. If you get the chance, GO!

Why this year??? why? why? why? (my horse hasn't started to jump yet!!!) ................. I will def go and audit though! I wonder who'll they'll pick and hope it doesn't all go political like these types of clinics usually does! (well I can dream can't i?)
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Oh god, no way would I be riding - just going to watch!

The Mane Event does a good job getting good clinicians, but the format and cost recovery tends to mean a fair number of riders in a short block of time, with the teaching needing to be aimed at the spectators more than the participants. In the past they have had trouble getting good riders and horses for the jumping, and conflicting show dates don't help. I hope some good horses and riders show up, although maybe seeing GM work with the "lower class" might be interesting!
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    I hope some good horses and riders show up, although maybe seeing GM work with the "lower class" might be interesting!
    It's interesting to see him work with riders at any level. It's also interesting to see him with a range of people to see how consistent his concepts are across the board from A to Z.

me too.if only i was living and boarding in alberta.hoping one day he will be in BC

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    The Mane Event does a good job getting good clinicians, but the format and cost recovery tends to mean a fair number of riders in a short block of time, with the teaching needing to be aimed at the spectators more than the participants. In the past they have had trouble getting good riders and horses for the jumping, and conflicting show dates don't help. I hope some good horses and riders show up, although maybe seeing GM work with the "lower class" might be interesting!
    Agreed. I've seen GM and a few other BNTs at the west coast version of the Mane Event, and wouldn't cancel a horse show to go...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."