The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thinking of Breeding this Year or Next? (Crosspost)

If you are thinking of breeding a mare this year or next, would you please check out this link and consider the stallions listed within?
    http://www.leg-up.org/marin-county-f...tion-page.html

Thumbnail of the backstory: A large number of horses are likely to be seized by the Marin County SPCA from an apparently well-known breeder for the hunter/jumper market. (Some seizures have already occurred.) The generous stallion owners and other talented people of the COTH Sport Horse Breeding forum have, within only days, organized an auction of breedings to an array of fabulous stallions. Except for collection and shipping fees (where specified) all proceeds are going to a fund to help offset the care of the horses.

So, if you're thinking of breeding, shop there first and in any event consider supporting the generous people who are making this happen.

I hope this is OK, mods!
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Thank you so very much for posting this! Many very nice, high-quality stallions available. I have three, possibly four (yay welsh pony) broodmares who should match quite well with a couple of the stallions. Incredible opportunity for a great cause!

Also, FWIW, I highly recommend Gatsby (just added to the stallion selection) as a sire for the personality component. I have a very-slow-growing four-year-old RPSI gelding by Gatsby, and this youngster has the most gentle, laidback, go-with-the-flow personality I have ever encountered. He has already been used for a couple short-stirrup lessons with kids, and also as the resident "guest horse." Given his brain, use of body, and tightness of knees over fences, we're hoping he'll develop into quite the little superstar.