The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Knee problems and the Herm Sprenger System 4 Stirrups

So I had a riding accident almost a year ago,and to make a long story short am slowly getting back to the level I was competing at. One Of my major problems that I have been noticing that is pain in my hips and knees. As well as fatigue. I am in very good shape, and go through physical therapy for my accident. My physical therapist is recommending something along the lines of a flex stirrup to relieve some of the strain on my hip and knees (my knee by the way has a pin in it).

I have heard many good things about the Herm Sprenger system 4 stirrups, Are these really good for things such as this?

I think they helped my knees. Nothing dramatic but I noticed a difference. Definitely worth a shot. You probably already know this but try not to ride with super short stirrups for any longer period of time than you absolutely have to. I did a 2 day XC clinic and I had tendinitis in my knees for over a month as a result. Probably could have been avoided!!

1 members found this post helpful.

It seems to be very dependent on the type of knee problem. My ligaments do not adequately hold my patella in place, causing pain after standing, riding, sitting in chair position, ect, and I've found flex stirrups to be somewhat helpful in alleviating pain while and after riding. I have known people where the pain is worse while riding from the lack of support, but they have had different causes of pain.

I have not seen a huge difference between the HS stirrups and the cheaper types (I have a pair of each, one on mt dressage and one on my jumping saddle, so I've actually compared both in a short time frame). So perhaps if you're unsure, it could be worth buyer a cheaper pair if you can't find one to borrow to test them out. If your PT is recommending them, I'd certainly give them a try!

I had considerable knee and ankle pain when riding. I am usually pretty cynical about gadgets but i was curious enough about these stirrups that I put them on my Xmas wish list one year. As predicted, hubby got them for me and I was really surprised with the difference. I didn't have knee or ankle pain. I take long rides and i rarely have joint pain anymore since switching to these stirrups. I keep them on my jump saddle and keep traditional irons on my dressage saddle. I highly recommend them. They are one of the few expensive gadgets that I bought into that we're totally worth the money.CORRECTION: I have the Herm Sprenger Bow Balance stirrups. I have ridden in the system 4 stirrups before buying the bow balance and my experience was only noticing that joint pain was gone when using the bow balance. Good luck!
    Last edited by zap; Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Correction

I purchased these for the exact same reason. Since using them I have not had any pain anywhere in my leg. I highly recommend them.

I was experiencing knee pain last summer and got the MDC ultimate stirrups. I am happy to report almost zero pain since using them. They have really helped.
    "I am still under the impression there is nothing alive quite so beautiful
    as a thoroughbred horse."

-JOHN GALSWORTHY

They really help me. I shattered my tibia plateau, been in pain for 11 years. They helped me tremendously while riding.

They helped my knee pain a lot. Unfortunately, they also caused my lower leg to slip back and forth at the canter. And yes, it was definitely the stirrups; if I dropped my stirrups the problem would disappear, and when my trainer tried me in regular fillis irons, the problem disappeared.

So sadly, they're now at the bottom of my tack trunk. I ride in fillis irons with Super Stirrup Comfort Pads, and that seems to keep the knee pain away.

I don't like the flexible stirrups, but I have the composite wide track ones. The footbed tips just a bit, but its nothing really noticeable. I can now go on several hour foxhunts with no knee pain AND feel secure in the saddle.

I had the Sprenger Bow Balance. Great for my bum knee, but not great for my leg- left it really unstable at canter and over fences. I've switched to the Royal Riders Evo stirrups an love them. Wide footbed and better angle for the stirrup. No knee pain and a stable leg. I use the HS now for dressage.

I would recommend the MDC stirrups over the HS ones. I have the MDC Ultimates and I have noticed a significant decrees in knee pain when switching between them and other stirrups. I originally got them because I was having a very hard time keeping my toes angled out slightly after going through PT for my knees/hips. I had been riding in the HS stirrups before then but wanted the extra rotation. My mom fell in love with them too (I was away and she started using them) and she too was using the HS stirrups.

Quote Originally Posted by shea'smom View Post
    They really help me. I shattered my tibia plateau, been in pain for 11 years. They helped me tremendously while riding.
    I am 8 weeks post surgery for a tibia plateau fracture. Sorry to hear you are still in pain... Glad to hear the stirrups help.

Justathought, I answered the PM. I hope you get good news at the doctors.