The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking For Stabling/Show Barn in Northern Austin

I'm moving this summer to north of Austin, Tx, and I'm looking for a show barn to board my horses. I'm looking for a place that has daily turnout in a field, goes to shows, has some trails accessible and is in north Austin towards Killeen. Or anything like that around Killeen. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Cornerstone

Well there's definitely nothing in Killeen. With those requirements in mind I'd think Caledonia (not 100% sure on the turn out situation there), Cornerstone (but I don't believe they have daily turn out), or Lone Star (not field turn out but paddocks).

Further east, but accessible via the toll road that runs from Georgetown is White Fences, Scattered Oaks (where I ride), and Cameron Equestrian Center.

They each offer something a bit different, so it really depends on what you're looking for.

I just moved from the Temple/Belton area, and there is nothing in Killeen. If you want to go in towards Salado/Belton, there is a dressage show barn called Salado Creek Riding Club that does offer daily individual or group turnout. Horses do receive great care there, and they have some trails along the creek and fields to ride in. I almost never rode in the arena as the fields were so nice. There are a few jumps, but not many now (I just left and took all of my jumps with me Her husband had built some and was going to build some more). That is probably the closest show barn to Killeen. Good luck, there are some barns in Austin, but it is kinda an empty land when you get just a bit north.

I second Cornerstone. Love Jen!

Hi there,

I live just outside of Killeen and will officially welcome you to the wasteland

There are actually several options in the area depending on where you are living, how far you are willing to drive and if you are looking for a private boarding facility or a fancier show barn.

To add to the above suggestions . . . Mark Doig is in Liberty Hill, Sunsetcliff is in Burnet and there is an eventing barn owned by Laura Szeremi just outside of Killeen.

If you are interested in smaller, more casual boarding barns you are welcome to PM me and I can give you a few names.

Quote Originally Posted by Feria View Post

To add to the above suggestions . . . Mark Doig is in Liberty Hill, Sunsetcliff is in Burnet and there is an eventing barn owned by Laura Szeremi just outside of Killeen.
    Mark Doig is Caledonia.

I'd think the trip to Austin would be better than burnet, but I'm not as familiar with those back roads.

Donna Chaney at Step Aside Farms is a great trainer with a winning record, and happy horses & students. I don't know which side of Austin the farm is located; never been there. Just know her reputation through others that have shown and traded with Donna over the years & have seen her gang when in Houston for shows.

http://www.stepasidefarm.com/

Good luck!