The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default HELPING HANDS: COTHers helping COTHers!

We're providing this thread as a place for COTHers to give each other a leg up. Whether it's finding a local friend to help with stalls while you're sick, someone to call when you're feeling down, a home-cooked meal or help reworking your resume for a new job hunt, perhaps you can find someone to help or who can help you here.

As per our posting policies, we will NOT ALLOW MONETARY DONATIONS to be solicited or organized on this thread, either directly to a person or to pay their vet, feed, hospital, etc. bills. There's just too much opportunity for people to be taken advantage of, and we don't want to attract the people who take advantage of others here.

This thread, or the rest of the site for that matter, is not a place to pool resources for adopting/rehoming horses. The only time we allow "dribbles" to be collected through the site is if they are going to a 501c3 charitable organization.

You can all figure out a formula that seems to work, and feel free to give me a holler via PM or email if you need some technical help with a new thread or input on whether or not something is OK to do. But we're thinking having a thread stuck here in Giveaways would be a good place where people could post a "standing offer" of help available in a given location or of a given kind, that folks who need a helping hand can turn to when they're in a tough spot.

We'll keep an eye on things and see how things go. It may be something that doesn't work and we'll have to take down, but we know there are a lot of generous people in this community looking for ways to help their fellow horse people, so hopefully this will help fill that need.

Thanks!
    Mod 1

3 members found this post helpful.

Yippee! Thank you mods!

Now we have to change our name, as we warmbloods only signed up for seasonal elf employment. And we want to keep giving to people and horses who need help.

2 members found this post helpful.

I can't remember who it was, but someone was asking about some Taste of the Wild for their dad's little chi. I'd be willing to send him a bag of food. But based on your original topic, would he actually use it?

Is this allowable?

I'm in Scranton, PA!

Always available to lend a hand.
    Muck stalls
    Bring you Hay or grain
    Fix fences
    Pet food
    Or some groceries.

Savannah GA and areas from Charleston SC down the coast to Jax. (Lots of relatives in the low country).

Physical labor and other assistance. Been riding since I was 6 months old and had horses since I was 10yrs old. Worked on farm in summers as a kid. I've had 3 ottb mares and one churlish warmblood over the years, in addition to my other horses. So I pretty much know how to deal with some horse issues. Not afraid to get in there and work to help out in emergencies.

Can pull shoes as was shown how to by my farrier (when he had to come for me for another person's horse, not mine.)

Was active/trial prosecutor/lawyer for over 33 yrs. Although some lawyer cothers hate it when I give free legal advice, they say everyone should pay, I was a trial lawyer for over 28 yrs and know the judges and courtroom pretty well.

I've good in emergencies and don't fall to pieces until after the auto wrecks and sick/ill horses are over with. I've been washing horses and dogs all my life, so I can do that as well. And I legally carry, and have run off the occasional roofer-gone-wild and trespasser. I've walked a lot of colicky horses, and pushed horses onto trailers to go to hospital. Available to do all of the foregoing.
    Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Feb. 4, 2013 at 04:00 PM. Reason: typos!

4 members found this post helpful.

Gainesville, MO here and belong to "Hay Neighbor" which assists people going through financial difficulties, help with their horses, hay, feed etc. PM me for information on how to contact the organizations president.

Elaine
    Last edited by Horselover52157; Jan. 3, 2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: punctuation, etc.

I'm in maryland, with an overstocked farm and a bit much on my own plate but can always lend a hand. Also have an extra room and warm place to land if that's ever needed.
    Race training and retraining Thoroughbreds.

In Northern Virginia. More then willing to lend a helping hand for whatever.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you as well!

I only have 2 boxes of Hamburger Helper potatoes beef stroganoff. I have eaten it w/o beef & it's not too bad!
    I have some not-too-shabby and/or unwashed horse turnouts and a stable blanket, as well as other useable horse stuff. I can't wash them, so would just give away.

Thank you, Mods for doing this!
    I want so much to "help back" ~ in any way I possibly can.
    Last edited by nasalberry; Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: First post was somewhat incoherent.

I'm near Lexington....able to help if you need it. I have lots of connections for rehoming dogs...especially purebreds.
    Last edited by LauraKY; Jan. 3, 2013 at 08:08 PM.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nasalberry View Post
    Thank you as well!

I only have 2 boxes of Hamburger Helper potatoes beef stroganoff. I have eaten it w/o beef & it's not too bad!
    I have shabby, but use-able horse stuff. Some I'd like to sell, but can't wash.

Thank you, Mods for doing this!
    I want so much to "help back" ~ in any way I possibly can.

Naselberry,
    My husband works at a beef processing plant. I'd like to get a "chub" of ground beef out to you in Ohio so you can eat a full hamburger helper meal! It's a 20ish pound log of ground beef. We buy them for super cheap and love them. I'm hoping that I could pack it in ice packs and overnight it to you. Let me know if you'd be interested.

9 members found this post helpful.

I am in western VA, right near the WV border so could help in either state. I will be spending a lot of time in Richmond in the coming year so may be able to help a bit there.

Stall Cleaning, groceries for critters or humans, can always find some hay if I have to, anything else that may be helpful.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

I'm in Dallas NC, near Charlotte NC. My barn can be used as a stop over point for a horse being transported to a new home, have a quarantine paddock and stalls (can be stalled if the pasture horses aren't being stalled, otherwise if they are in (REALLY bad weather) then the other horse couldn't be with the others).

Also have a trailer, could do some shuffling of a horse short distances from one way point to another.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Western NC - can help with feeding/mucking/ taking care of other critters too. Help with whatever I can.

Northern VT- Good for people and animal chores, rides, exercising, and I'm always down for an adventure, phone convo, or a cup of coffee. I also have a mare who would enjoy being fussed over . Moving to Ft. Knox, KY in less than 2 months as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Just outside Boise, Idaho. Physical labor, bring you a casserole, groom or longe your horse -- probably not ride; I don't think I'm qualified to actually help there -- bring groceries or a sack of feed, cup of coffee, walk dogs, pet cats, etc!

ALSO! I can help with resume writing! I can also tutor in academics, Spanish language, and test prep. Proofreading, general essay-improving, etc.
    Nanakorobi yaoki: Seven times fall, eight times rise.
    http://reveilleandrinsie.blogspot.com

Stroudsburg, PA (NE PA) I can help with hay in small amounts, feed for just about any animal, possible temporary board for emergency situations depending on the time of year. I should be able to help with labor as well as basic groceries if needed. Even work at home job leads for legitimate companies
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

South Central PA... I have two young children so my time is a bit of a premium but I could probably help with hay, maybe some grain, and whatever extra I have really. Always here to talk and if I can help in any way I will.
    Last edited by magicteetango; Jan. 5, 2013 at 04:36 PM.

Baltimore County

Southern California here. I will happily walk/wash/feed any critter you got. I am available on weekends and holidays just let me know. I can handle horses from ponies to drafties but I do not ride. I can and will temp foster kitties and can handle special needs kitties and dogs. Travel regularly from Here to Texas so if a critter needs a lift I can usually accommodate. (No Horses, the airlines don't like them in the cabin with the rest of the folks.)
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.