The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Coat Enhancers

Has anyone tried both a product such as Blackenall or Black as Knight and compared the effectiveness to just feeding paprika? I already feed 4 ounces of flax per day and horses are on a high fat diet. I would imagine going the paprika route in the most cost effective if it produces results. I have never fed any coat enhancers but have admired horses coats who were on them. Would love to get some feedback from others who have used these products. Thanks!

I have never used BAK, but I do feed paprika. My mare is BLACK in winter, and orange in summer off the paprika. On it, so looks very dark bay in summer-so not truly black, but it does make a huge difference. She also gets flax and cocsoya oil. I feed 2Tbs paprika, 1/4 cup of flax and 2 oz cocosoya per day.
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 4 Cats, 1 Macaw, 6 (Former) Stepkids

Paprika is amazing stuff. I've never tried the commercial formulas, just the old school paprika from costco. My mare was *black* for her inspection (have videos to prove it ) after only a month or so. Apparently it also contains a lot of antioxidants so that is good for them as well. I was initially skeptical, wondering to myself exactly how I will persuade her to eat it - but she licked it up with no fuss!

For giggles we put our ancient german shepherd on it - and he got a lovely darkness and sheen to his coat too. I'm a believer.

Be aware that paprika and products that use it, like BAK, contain capsaicin which can test and are not show legal.

The best product I've ever used for coat is SmartPak's SmartOmega 3. I was just using it for a general flax supplement, but the coat that resulted was...amazing. Literally. I have never seen anything like it. Maybe the fish oil in it, and not just the flax? Whatever it is, it works quite well. Cheap too...less than $15 a month when I used it.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

1 members found this post helpful.

BioFlax 20 from horsetech is very good also.

Smart Omega 3 is amazing, I agree.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Rubber curry combs and elbow grease

Quote Originally Posted by atlatl View Post
    Rubber curry combs and elbow grease
    If you can make a faded black horse dark again with a rubber curry and elbow grease, you may find your elbow quite in demand...
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO