The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xtra Charges..wwyd??

Long story short, my one horse is allergic to timothy so I have to purchase his own hay. I was told the charges would be taken off the board (good) for the amount that I purchased. Now after 3 mths of purchasing the hay at a slightly higher price (I found 15-20bales was not lasting a full mth so I upped it to 30) they've decided they're not going to uphold their word and that they only use 15 bales per horse (which I know is BS as I work there too) so decided to charge me the extra amount on back credits!! I switched back to 20 bales now that it's nicer, 2nd cut hay and lasting a bit longer which I told them that price has gone back down.
    They have also told me different prices and then invoiced me more on another thing...not a huge difference but enough to make me raise an eyebrow since there's been no written or signed contracts for anything!!!
    My big issue, as I'd leave tomorrow, is that with 3 horses, it's very hard to find a place to board in town.
    Going to chat with them, but I'm quite furious right now and they've also put me way out financially for something that is half their problem (ie: should've have told me they'd only pay a certain amount for hay etc.)

What would you do??? I don't want to lose my cool with them (the barn has pretty much gone to craps since they took over a few years ago, no one's happy, staff complain all the time...but she's also my coach and helped me out in hard times. Her husband unfortunately is at the barn all day everyday and is the root of every problem it seems.)
    Anyway, sorry for the rant...I feel I work my butt off for them, I'm there everyday looking after my horses 2-3 a day (my board is self board and is $508/ horse
    ....looking at other places but most are full or have 1 spot here and there.
    Anyone else been in this circumstance?? I can understand they don't want to pay the extra but maybe they should've let me know 3 mths ago!!!!

Not sure exactly what you are saying. Do I have this right? You are upset because:
    Your horse can not the barn hay so you arranged with the BO that you would buy your own hay and they would credit your board for the cost of your own hay. While you made this arrangement you did not bother to confirm prices and amounts that you would be credited so now you are mad because they will not credit you for all the hay you bought your horse?

Quote Originally Posted by 3phase View Post
    L(ie: should've have told me they'd only pay a certain amount for hay etc.)
    I think this goes with out saying. And though yes it does make sense that they should have discussed a dollar value with you I can not see how any rational person could assume you have an open check book. Board is determined on a certain hay price. If you choose to go out and buy hay that costs twice and much why would you think they should pay you back for that?

Sorry if I am not understanding correctly.

They should have given you x amount to spend on hay that they would discount you for. Are you saying that for the last 3 months, you have been buying hay and they said that was fine. And now they say that you have to pay full board? Im a little confused.

I'm also confused here.

But since you really don't have any options to move, the only thing you can do is go talk to the owner/manager/whoever is in charge and try to clear up the misunderstanding. Give yourself some time to cool off, and approach it in a "I'm trying to understand, there seems to be some miscommunication" manner.

FWIW, I've never been at a barn that will give credit if there's some reason the horse can't eat the barn's hay or grain. The owner is still responsible for the full board amount PLUS whatever additional dollars are required to feed the horse...

3 members found this post helpful.

Island of Heart Surrounded by the Sea of Intuition

I would ask for a break down of how they came up with the $508. You say it is self board so I am assuming you do all the feeding and stall cleaning yourself. But there should be a break down...

Example:

Base Price: $200 ( for cost of property, barn, land tax etc)
    Feed: $150 (@ no more than 4qts 2x a day)
    Hay: $158 ( x amt of flakes twice a day)

So if the above example was the case I would say that they reduce your board by $158 a month. Whether you buy 30 bails or 10 bails should not matter since you are providing it.

I just recently went down on the amt of grain that was to be given to my mare and my board was not reduced ( I didn't expect it too though)
    The Love for a Horse is just as Complicated as the Love for another Human being, If you have never Loved a Horse you will Never Understand!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    FWIW, I've never been at a barn that will give credit if there's some reason the horse can't eat the barn's hay or grain. The owner is still responsible for the full board amount PLUS whatever additional dollars are required to feed the horse...
    I second this.

What to do - nothing

I board 3 horses at a place that the owner begged me to move to "because they needed the money to keep their horse in training". They board 6 other horses - all outside board but 1. We agree on a price and I buy my own grain and I clean my stalls 4 times a week.

4 months later - I am buying my own hay because my older horse can only have grass hay not straight alfalfa - they said they had straight grass hay - nope all gone. I drag the arena because only me and 1 other person uses it. I use my gas for that 4 wheeler too because it is always empty - also put in 2 spark plugs at my expense. I clean my stalls about 5 days a week and now because they took in an extra horse the turnout my horses were suppose to be in is used. So I need to go out each day and turn my horses out for a couple hours because the only turnout left is small (horses get bored and go after each other if left out to long) so I go out on my lunch hour and then go back after work every day! My horses have been inside for 3 weeks because the hill going down to the turnout is icy - do they salt it - no - I finally threw sand from the arena down the hill for some traction.

Bottom line it is hard to finad a place to board 3 horses so you have to decide what you can live with. If you figure my extra trips to the barn, the extra hay and extra gas for 4 wheeler etc I am paying a shit load of board. Well if I said anything their reply would be well then leave. Unfortunately the barn is really nice, heated and my boys are under lights - which I pay extra for the electricity. The arena is nice and the boys like it there.

So you suck it up and deal with what you need to do every day or you leave. I never trust the you buy I will pay you back deal ever. I know where you are coming from but its your horse that needs something different so you are the one who pays for it.

I'm afraid as much as it sucks... I too have been in the situation where the barn fed cubes and we bought our own hay... and there was no discount on board for not using the cubes.

I would never expect the barn to reimburse you for your hay. If they are so generous as to give you a discount for the cost of the hay that they buy that wasn't fed to your horse, that is more than fair.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Are you buying the hay from them or a supplier? If you are buying from them maybe you should tell them you want to buy hay directly so you know exactly where your money is going, unless they will charge your storage fees.

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    Are you buying the hay from them or a supplier? If you are buying from them maybe you should tell them you want to buy hay directly so you know exactly where your money is going, unless they will charge your storage fees.
    Oh, I forgot to mention that when we bought our own hay we also had to pay an extra charge for the storage space.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

If they are taking anything off for buying your own hay, I'd count myself lucky. I've had to provide my own hay at several barns due to special needs horses and never gotten (nor expected) a break.

But all you can do is talk to them to see how they are figuring the bill. I'm reading this as they buy hay for a lower price than what you are getting it for (perhaps they buy in bulk and you buy at the feed store). I wouldn't expect them to take your whole hay bill off the board, but something closer to what they "save" by not feeding their hay. Hope that makes sense.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 3phase View Post
    Long story short, my one horse is allergic to timothy so I have to purchase his own hay. I was told the charges would be taken off the board (good) for the amount that I purchased. Now after 3 mths of purchasing the hay at a slightly higher price (I found 15-20bales was not lasting a full mth so I upped it to 30) they've decided they're not going to uphold their word and that they only use 15 bales per horse

I have never had boarders supply hay, but I only feed grain from one southern states, and if someone wants different grain, they may supply it, and I take $25 off per month per horse. I keep it that flat rate. I averaged the easy keepers with the hard keepers and don't mess with asking how much the horse eats and trying to keep up with it all. The first time I did that, I took $50 off per month and the horse ate a handful twice a day. I don't want that happening again! So if you look at the BM's position, why should they pay you (basically) to feed fluffy a bale a day when the other horses get a half a bale a day. I would take what my hay cost at a half a bale a day and take that amount off. That seems like the fair thing to do for both parties.

I feel I work my butt off for them, I'm there everyday looking after my horses 2-3 a day (my board is self board and is $508/ horse
    You pay $508 PER MONTH PER HORSE for self care?!?!?!?!? Exsqueeze me???? I hope the barn is made of gold!!

This is why we have a written contract that spells out everything. In situation where the horse cannot eat our hay (this is mostly directed at toothless senior horses who would need to eat soaked cubes or something but would work in your situation too) get x amount of dollars worth of forage ever month. Anything more than that is the owner's responsibility

As long as my horse was getting the desired care I would just pay the extra charges. If I could not afford it then I would have to search for a different situation.

Sorry for the confusion...I was confused myself and mad when writing it.

Yes, I buy it from a supplier (kind of a pain as I have to get it delivered.) I should've said too that the first several mths that I owned my boy, the barn had a 2nd cut grass that had no timothy so I was paying full amount. Then without mentioning to myself and a couple other boarders that cannot use the coarse hay they also had, they ran out. Kinda left us hanging!
    When I found the supplier, the BM said no problem about crediting me the amount that I paid for the hay I was buying. After the first month of buying I realized the hay didn't last as long so I upped the order by 10 bales for the next 3 mths. It's been invoiced 3 times and it was never mentioned to me that the price was different.
    Yes, I shouldn't have assumed and questioned again. The lack of communication is horrific at our barn and I'm half as guilty as well. I wish we had gotten something on paper or discussed it further. When I talked to the BM the other day, she mentioned a different price though then what was shown on my months invoice.
    This too is a problem - that I put out my boys' lunch to be fed everyday,and a few times a month it gets missed I write notes and then I get excuses and bs from the BM.
    It makes me pull my hair out!!! And yes, I just suck it up 99.9% of the time!
    Well, I'll talk to her about it and hope we get it sorted out. I think one of the issues too, looking at it, was that tax was put on the back credit which shouldn't have been.
    I'm surprised by some posts though that if your horse has a medical condition that the BM knows about that you wouldn't be credited for hay that you don't use. That makes no sense to me and seems like you're being ripped off. I could understand if you used their hay as well as your own.
    Thanks for everyone's input! I'm sure it'll work out

And yep, $450 + 12% tax self indoor board (includes a stall, paddock, 3 feedings a day, TI and TO (although I do the TO everyday for all 3 of my horses) and sometimes they feed my 2 boys (which takes 2 seconds) their premade grain inside just in the morning-although this gets missed a lot too ...I clean, supply grain, do my own blankets etc and 100% take my horses out in the am and when I can bring them in. Yeah, I do alot of work, not to mention I work there 3 x a week and help out when I can when I'm not working. I'm trying to sell my one horse so I can just work on my boys and compete them this year. I've known the BM for over 15 yrs but only recently in the last few years taken more lessons and boarded at the barn where they took over the lease 3 yrs ago.
    Anyhoo, at the end of the day, I just want my ponies to be taken care of properly and be happy. I don't even take vacation as I'm too stressed and worried about leaving them full time in the BM care
    Bringing Mexico to me ...thx all if you read to this point (kinda bored at work

I have to say, if my horse was medically unable to eat the hay provided, I would absolutely expect a credit. I don't really know how much would be appropriate and I expect I would not get reimbursed the full amount of my own hay costs. Instead, I think the BO would come up with an amount that would more or less reflect the horse's prior cost of hay *to her*, less some amount for administration, and some amount for labor/storage of said hay. If that doesn't cover my full cost of hay because I buy more/better/more expensive hay, that would be my problem.

I do agree there is clearly a communication problem here, at minimum. It's best to discuss with the BM to understand what they're thinking a bit more. And see if that works for you.

And I agree that price for self board is high, unless it includes bedding and feed. (And I guess it does given the credit for some amount of hay.)
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

OK, well, a few things here:
    The way you have it set up, the bookkeeping on this is an absolute nightmare for everyone involved. Probably part of the reason why they thought you were cheating them, and you got an unexpected invoice (if I'm understanding this all correctly).

So, what is standard practice where I'm from is that the BO has worked out how much each item costs them per horse (Use of Facilities, Shavings, Labor: feeders/stall cleaners, and Hay) and if you opt out of one of these things (if they will let you, I know at some barns there are some things you can opt out of and some you can't) you subtract that amount from your board bill (AFTER clearing this with the BO). If making up for this option on your own costs you more, so be it. You have to decide whether it's worth it for you.

So, at my barn, my BO has decided that hay costs him $60/mo. My mare cannot eat the hay he provides (even though he stocks 4 kinds of hay to try and keep all his clients happy, some of us have horses with special needs) so I went out and sourced my own hay. I ordered 70 bales, stacked them in a corner of the hay barn that was previously used for storing junk (the BOs wife was happy about having an excuse to throw it away, lol) and paid my reduced board fee, EVEN THOUGH this hay costs me $80/mo to feed. My choice. I decided that this option was cheaper than having to feed the hay provided and then feed Ulcerguard, weight-gain supplements, and deal with colics.

You have to make this easy for the BO. As my BO always says, "If you don't like it, leave." Which is very true. Decide whether this is something you can live with, or can't. If you can't live with it, find somewhere else to go.

But wait, you want to deduct the cost that you're choosing to buy from your board? Well of course the BO is not going to go along with that. It should be a set credit each month.

Suppose you decided that Pooky needs $25/bale hay...do you expect the BO to give you a credit for that?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

It's very simple. You ask them what deduction will you give me per month if I supply my own hay. Not on a month by month calculation of how much hay used per month but you just want to know the rate in advance if you don't use farm's hay. This is why I like a standard board rate. So people know what to expect and no one has to argue about how much hay or grain was consumed each month.

If that amount is too much for you, you move.

I would think with three horses you could find a better deal than that but I don't know your area.