The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Yet another saddle question

I've searched but didn't find the answer.

I've found two saddles and wonder which one would be the better buy. An older model County Drespri or a Smith Worthington Mystic CC?

They're both the same price and size but I know brand makes a big difference in fit for person and horse.

Which one has a truly wide tree? It's for a Fjord and he's on the plump side. I'm 5'6 and plump too.

I just ride for the fun - no specific discipline. Trail ride, hunter paces, trail challenges, occasional lesson when I can.

Stephanie

I haven't ridden or seen the County Despri, but I know that County makes a terrific saddle. I do have the Smith Worthington Mystic, and I love it! Mine is the AP, not the CC, but I'm sure the quality & construction are the same. They are wool flocked, so if your Fjord is not tubby, you have a good chance that it will fit. I have a 14.1 pony of unknown heritage who's got well sprung ribs, and I would characterize her as being a "sturdy 6" on the Henneke scale and the saddle fit her well with no adjustments required. It's good quality sturdy leather and will probably outlast me.

If you don't want the Mystic, please send me the details!

Both saddles have their design weirdnesses.

IMO, County builds a saddle to fit around a horse. So the tree will be close to your horse's skeleton, even when it fits correctly. Some horses hate this-- they want some room around the withers. Your stout Fjord might not. But be sure to ask him/her.

IMO, Smith-Worthington builds a great, durable saddle. If this one has a pigskin seat, even better. But if you haven't ridden in one of these is a bit, know that it will feel hard in comparison to modern standards.

The bigger deal is that the (new) SW's I have seen come flocked very full and hard. Not sure why, and Curt Hanks at the Smith-Worthington Mothership in Hartford, CT can reflock for you. He does a nice job.

In any case, the SW might fit more above your horse's back if it has the well-stuffed panels.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Thank you both. GoForAGallop, I will pm you the link to the Mystic. I emailed the seller yesterday and it's a medium tree - definitely not going to work for a tubby Fjord

The seller of the County hasn't responded to my email so it may not even be available any more. The search continues!

I'm riding him in an older Passier with cutback withers (lord knows he doesn't a cutback) and it seems to fit okay - he wasn't sore after an 8 mile ride - but it doesn't have much padding and since I'm heavier I wanted to upgrade for him. I might just invest in a Thinline pad and keep looking locally. I would much rather be able to test it out on him first.

The Passier is on the hard side and it doesn't bother me so I think I'd be okay with a hard seat. A softer seat would be nice though

Quote Originally Posted by rubygirl1968 View Post
    Thank you both. GoForAGallop, I will pm you the link to the Mystic. I emailed the seller yesterday and it's a medium tree - definitely not going to work for a tubby Fjord

The seller of the County hasn't responded to my email so it may not even be available any more. The search continues!

I'm riding him in an older Passier with cutback withers (lord knows he doesn't a cutback) and it seems to fit okay - he wasn't sore after an 8 mile ride - but it doesn't have much padding and since I'm heavier I wanted to upgrade for him. I might just invest in a Thinline pad and keep looking locally. I would much rather be able to test it out on him first.

The Passier is on the hard side and it doesn't bother me so I think I'd be okay with a hard seat. A softer seat would be nice though
    Just as an FYI...if the Passier fits him well, I would be VERY surprised if the County fits him...two very different trees.

Really? Okay, good to know. Is one more of a hoop tree than the other?

I think I'll take some wither tracings this afternoon or tomorrow and send them to Trumbull Mtn. They don't have anything in my price range at the moment, but I'll bet she could at least point me in the direction of which brands I need to look for.

If you're looking for an affordable saddle with a hoop tree (which a lot of Fjords need), look into Duetts. They're reasonably priced, offer very good quality and fit for the money, and have hoop trees. I've fit quite a few Fjords (and Haffies, etc.) with them.

OUt of the two you suggested, it would be the Mystic for a wide pony. The County desprit wouldn't even come up on my radar for your circumstance. Isn't that the one with the 'adjustable flap' so you can have the flap in dressage position, then forward for jumping and then for some undecipherable reason, you can put it in a middling position for Cross-Country. Lol. Who dreams this stuff up ?

Quote Originally Posted by rubygirl1968 View Post
    Smith Worthingtons are fully adjustable by the factory across a huge range of widths. If the saddle is appropriately priced, consider buying it anyway and having it adjusted. SW charges a very reasonable rate for this, less than $200 if I remember correctly.

I agree with others that for a truly wide-load horse, the County Drespri wouldn't be on my radar.

Other possibilities in the lower price ranges: Thorowgood, some of the Thornhills, Duett as someone else has already mentioned. You might talk to COTHer IronwoodFarm, who swears by some cheapie brand of saddle for her lesson program full of Norwegian Fjords.