The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default preventive joint supplement for jumping draft cross?

Would anyone recommend this, or not? I've been wondering about putting my 9-year-old 16.2 Percheron/TB cross (who tends to more the Perch. side) on glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM or some such as a preventive measure since he's such a big lug and we jump. Only up to about 3' or so, but I worry about the wear and tear on his joints since he's so big. Thoughts?

Platinum Performance CJ...
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member TROT www.trot-md.org, Mt Airy Saddle Pals https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mount...70438446334624 & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

Platinum Performance seems like a great choice but pretty pricey. Cosequin is a good choice for preventative if you're trying to manage your budget. Also, talk your farrier about shoeing options. Mine adds gel under pads on mare's front feet to add shock absorption- think high end running shoes. Only runs about $40 per shoeing and is a great step up when ground is frozen or we're showing a lot.

Yeah, that stuff seems pretty pricey! My gelding is actually happily barefoot at the moment, so I'd like to keep him that way. He's on a hoof supplement though to help keep them hard. I've thought about putting him on Smartpak's SmartCombo and taking him off the hoof and probiotic he's on, and letting him get everything all in one. Anyone used SmartCombo before? Thoughts?

I love the smartflex senior, and not just for old horses! It's one of the best oral joint supps for the price that I have found.

Honestly I don't bother with oral joint supplements. It is by far the least effective way to deliver the necessary ingredients. I do an Adequan-like IM shot once every other week instead. Adequan doesn't technically have a generic but what my vet prescribes is exactly the same ingredients with a different molecular weight. It's fast, easy, and when I calculated it out it costs me way less than any of the oral supplements I looked at while being much more effective.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    Honestly I don't bother with oral joint supplements. It is by far the least effective way to deliver the necessary ingredients. I do an Adequan-like IM shot once every other week instead. Adequan doesn't technically have a generic but what my vet prescribes is exactly the same ingredients with a different molecular weight. It's fast, easy, and when I calculated it out it costs me way less than any of the oral supplements I looked at while being much more effective.
    What does your vet prescribe?

We have a perch cross (Perch/Arab) jumper and have her on Absorbine Flex + Max. She is 15 years old now and going strong. No issues at all.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/absorb...x?cm_vc=Search

here is what we use - all our working horses are on this

http://www.pureformequinehealth.com/...x?PRODUCT_ID=2

I wouldn't waste my money on delusions of "preventing" anything with a supplement. Invest in the best hoof care you can get, avoid bad footing like the plague, maintain excellent weight, nutrition, and fitness and ice the feet and lower legs after hard workouts, and keep the horse outside as much as possible. I daresay all of that is HUGELY more helpful than a tablespoon of some crummy powder with a marketing budget that is 1000x the size of the research budget.

Injectibles may be helpful, but that is largely UNPROVEN. I've not much faith in N-A-glucosamine (the so-called "just like Adequan" product which is not in reality) but do think Pentosan (quite affordable) is a decent product. I don't use it for "prevention", however, only on horses with documented arthritic joints. Every injection carries a risk and I only use drugs when the benefit > risk.
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffani B View Post
    What does your vet prescribe?
    I use Sac-A-Red. It's $80 for 10 shots/20 weeks... Very affordable and so far it's been very effective with my horse. There is also another sub for Adequan that others at my barn use... I believe it is Ichon. That one is less expensive than Adequan but more than the Sac-A-Red. Since the Sac-A-Red is working just fine for me for maintenance I've stuck with that for now.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I wouldn't waste my money on delusions of "preventing" anything with a supplement. Invest in the best hoof care you can get, avoid bad footing like the plague, maintain excellent weight, nutrition, and fitness and ice the feet and lower legs after hard workouts, and keep the horse outside as much as possible.
    Outstanding advice. Well said and spot on. The only ones who truly benefit from those types of supplements are the manufacturers and retailers.

1 members found this post helpful.

My Dad's 17hh percheron/tb (who definitely is more percheron-like than tb-like!) is 24 years old. We bought her as a 4yo and she evented for 14 years at the 3' level with no supplementation of any kind (other than vitamin E/selenium, which is necessary in our area) and nothing more than an abscess or two in all those years. We did take care to do the things deltawave recommended as part of good horse management. At 18yo she developed shoulder arthritis and was definitely uncomfortable (especially going down hills while trail riding and on landing from jumps). We put her on Recovery EQ and saw significant improvement in her comfort level, but we did decide it was time for her to stop eventing. She occasionally jumped for a couple more years, but her heart (and my Dad's) was no longer in it and we didn't want to accelerate the arthritis development/progression. She is now, at 24yo, starting to show shoulder discomfort again and we are now considering trying IM injections (Adequan or Pentosan) to see if we can get her comfortable again. I have also used specific oral joint supplements for dogs with arthritis, but only when they started showing signs of discomfort, and I also saw significant improvement in their comfort level.

I don't think there is any evidence truly supporting "preventative" oral joint supplementation and I think on-going use of such supplements may eventually lead to some level of "tolerance" and ineffectiveness, so I will always "save" them for when an animal truly needs them.

This is what my vet says also. Oral supplements generally do not contain enough of the *good* stuff to be effective. If they did, you'd need a prescription. We went with Adequan. Pricey yes...results are priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post