The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Default Diesel on clothing--how to clean safely??

Dear Mr. CC was filling up Tito, the Wee Tractor, yesterday with fresh diesel and apparently spilled it on his favorite ghastly plaid shirt/coat that he lives in and loves (and which I cannot abide). I cannot make it disappear (darn it!) so I need to figure out how to wash out the diesel safely.

What do I do? I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that I shouldn't just pop it in the front loader. There is also a towel that he used to wipe his hands off on that is now fouled.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

If it's just a splash (as in he didn't completely soak it) then just toss it in the washer and run it through it through and extra cycle. I would always get splashed with diesel when filling up my school bus due to faulty pumps and would just throw my clothes in the wash like normal but run it through twice to make sure I got it all out.

If it's more than a splash, have MR. CC soak it and wring it in a tub of water and dish washing liquid and then wash it in the machine. But where to pour out the diesel water tub on your farm, that doesn't make you wince, ecologically speaking?
    That Mr CC. Tell him to figure out a solution, but keep your veto power

We use plain old liquid tide. You must soak it first with the Tide rubbed into the spot for and hour before washing. Works for us.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks guys! I'm sure I could "Google" the answer, but I love tapping the COTH wisdom first. I'll check how much got on the Plaid Monstrosity and wash accordingly. Or, rather, Mr. CC will

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Dear Mr. CC was filling up Tito, the Wee Tractor, yesterday with fresh diesel and apparently spilled it on his favorite ghastly plaid shirt/coat that he lives in and loves (and which I cannot abide). I cannot make it disappear (darn it!) so I need to figure out how to wash out the diesel safely.
    the Plaid Monstrosity
    I'm sorry, I have nothing helpful to add, but this literally made me guffaw out loud at work this morning, my dad has THREE of these items, which are also his favorites and smell of icky-farm-ness
    Quarry Rat

I thought it was a farm man's duty to have some Ghastly Monstrosity of a Thing to do farm work in?

2 members found this post helpful.

See, I love that smell. So I wouldn't wash it. But I'd keep him safely away from bon fires and the like.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

My husband pretty much did the same.

The only result is to toss the item. Hind sight, 20-20, toss in trash.

It was washed (his were his FAVORITE shorts, ok, were, rip dear shorts) 3 times. Then soaked in a bucket of Dawn for 2 weeks. Washed again. Never were they dried in the dryer.

If you sneak the item in the washer, it will make all clothes smell of diesel. Then the next set you wash will smell like diesel, this includes any clothes in the dryer will smell like diesel. I had to wash the clothes after the shorts (which he washed with some other stuff, not many things) 2 times before the smell came out.

I have come to the conclusion, any gas or diesel getting on clothes should be trashed.

He blamed me for him getting diesel on himself. ??? ha ha ha. I was not even there. I didn't see it happen either. The tractor was parked on a slight incline (allegedly, our property if fairly flat everywhere) and he put fuel in it and somehow it spilled on him. Granted I have 1k hours on our tractor, him maybe 100 hours(or less). 99% of the time I mow, get diesel for the tractor, and fill the tractor with diesel. I never ever got any on me. And the tractor was parked at every angle, I am just careful. And I do not wear my favorite clothes when handling the tractor. That is just asking for Murphy to move in. Horses, well yes of course I will wear my favorite clothes/shoes around horses, that is a different kind of dirt. Tractors no, horses yes.

Diesel never will come out. I would not use the item even for dusting, or a dog bed.

I like diesel smell, too, but this Plaid Ghastliness is worn All.The.Time--inside and out, so it must be sanitized occasionally. At least I've gotten him to stop wearing the denim one that I've patched the elbows in twice and is stained and worn out--to restaurants!. You can take the man out of Alaska, but you can't take Alaska out of the man...

You haven't discovered the Plaid Ghastliness that already come with reinforced elbows???
    Quarry Rat

Oh, please, do not enable my Dear Mr. into more Plaid Ghastliness! No! He'd happily put the same ratty, nasty "house clothes" on each day, over and over. I "disappeared" some ancient, ugly tie-dyed T-shirts and he still mourns their apparent loss (Huh? no idea where those went! wink, wink).

He has a "farm coat" and gloves, but he's ruined more clothes with diesel/gas than I can count--apparently filling the tractor is really hard....for him!

I, for one, will hold out hope for Mr. CC that the Plaid Ghastliness can be reclaimed from the diesel fumage!

Sorry, CC, but as the proud and loving owner of my very own Green Ghastliness - an ancient (I'm guessing 30+ years) Woolrich down filled coat that I somehow inherited from my dad, who in years past, wore it duck hunting, I can't be a party to the downfall of someone else's beloved crime against fashion (and perhaps, nature). I've no idea when last mine was laundered, and not sure how it's possible now, as the down has begun to find at least one small point of egress... In the hopes of preserving the GG a little longer, I've relegated it to "really really cold days" use only, and have brought the Camouflage Calamity (an army surplus jacket, complete with quilted liner, of a slightly younger vintage) into the regular rotation, much to the dismay of my mother, who I believe may be the party responsible for my inheritance of the Green Ghastly, in an effort to remove it from her own home.

Long Live the Plaid Monstrosity!

I am so glad to be a member of the plaid ghastliness club. Mine are 3 identical yellow and brown shirts. All 3 belonged to my father, so not only are they ugly, they are 4-5 sizes too big. I wear a ladies small, and dad wore a mens large to x-lg. They mean the world to me as my dad passed in 2005. My sister-in-law regularly mends them for me.

2 members found this post helpful.

Aw...geez....now my overly-developed sense of Catholic-induce guilt is taking over! I promise to try to..gulp..save (sniff) the Plaid Monstrosity for Mr. CC. I suppose I should, since he puts up with my proclivity for wearing my tall, brownish rubber boots with shorts from April to October...though in the height of summer, I've been known to switch out to some pathetically worn out Merrill Moc slip on dealies with the stuffing coming out. Sometimes I forget I'm duded up like this and go into town...so embarrassing...

Lestoil. Hubby drove truck for yrs and thats what I used on his nasty fuel soaked clothes. Soak in bucket for a bit...dump said bucketful off fuel oil nastiness on that burdock ya just cant get rid of. wash twice in a good detergent. hang in sunshine to dry (yes even in the winter...they will eventually freeze dry)

Or use Go-Jo hand cleaner to spot treat (do not wet first) to break down the oil. Hot water and Dawn dish soap (again in bucket...dont forget to dump on said PITA burdock) launder twice if needed, hang to dry.

We still have an ancient Carhart jacket that was soaked....still occasionally smells of fuel oil on damp days. I hate to part with it so we keep it around for nasty greasy oily chores.

since he puts up with my proclivity for wearing my tall, brownish rubber boots with shorts from April to October...though in the height of summer, I've been known to switch out to some pathetically worn out Merrill Moc slip on dealies with the stuffing coming out. Sometimes I forget I'm duded up like this and go into town...so embarrassing...
    Ummm... how about this very morning, I did a last minute "it's just a quick run out to the barn" before work and then got 3/4 of the way to said work before realizing that I was still wearing my ancient Croc Mammoths... I'm lucky that my boss has a good sense of humor!

And...
    Viva la Plaid Monstrosity!

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

A tractor is one item, on a long list of things, on a farm that doesn't mix well with clothes you like.

This what I regret about quitting smoking...one errant lighter flame and this problem would have gone up in smoke! There isn't much that really gets rid of diesel...he may just have to cut the umblical thread..

You know, my Dad was adopted, I'm beginning to think your DH could be my long-lost uncle!!! My mother was NOT impressed when Dad came home telling her about the Plaid Monstrosities with Elbow Reinforcements that his coworker found... :P
    Quarry Rat