The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thoughts on David Copperfield?

Just curious on the Pro's opinions for him as a stallion.

David

He's been around for quite a while with little or no success. Im surprised anyone is still standing him.

Why would you say that? From what I understand he does not have any foals old enough to race.

His first foals were born in 2005. I saw him in 2004 or 2005. He is a good looking, well behaved stallion (or was). I don't have any of his stats, are you looking for a race or sport horse? I don't even know where he is now, CO???
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

We just acquired a filly out of him. I was just curious about him as a racehorse. I don't know much if anything about racing. I did get to meet him when we picked up diva, he was a very well behaved stallion and beautiful too! No plans on racing right now just wondering about our new filly's sire. Do you have the names of his foals?

Quote Originally Posted by snydere02 View Post
    We just acquired a filly out of him. I was just curious about him as a racehorse. I don't know much if anything about racing. I did get to meet him when we picked up diva, he was a very well behaved stallion and beautiful too! No plans on racing right now just wondering about our new filly's sire. Do you have the names of his foals?
    As a racehorse - he was good. As a sire of racehorses, he really hasn't set the world on fire.

I believe he started at stud in Kentucky, and if I remember correctly was put through the Keeneland November sale in 2009, but was an out.
    Last edited by K~2; Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: spelling
    Equine Web Design http://www.tbconnect.net | Kingsgate Stud home of Legal Jousting (IRE)

We just acquired a filly out of him.
    Will someone take this one for me? I don't want to get jumped on again for being a big meanie.

As far as other offspring, you can look at www.pedigreequery.com It lists progeny of stallions and mares, although not the most accurate, or up to date source.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

BY him Foals are OUT OF mares (literally!) (You're welcome, Toadie's Mom )

David Copperfield is a miserable producer of race horses with an AEI of 0.51. He has nearly 100 foals of racing age, so plenty of time to prove himself somehow...looks like that hasn't happened. None of them have earned any blacktype.

Enjoy your mare as a sporthorse! He is a lovely looking horse.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    Will someone take this one for me? I don't want to get jumped on again for being a big meanie.

As far as other offspring, you can look at www.pedigreequery.com It lists progeny of stallions and mares, although not the most accurate, or up to date source.
    I'm not taking any answers personally here. I just want the facts.
    Obviously, I already know about the foal I have, but I was curious about his other foals. Thank you for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    BY him Foals are OUT OF mares (literally!) (You're welcome, Toadie's Mom )

David Copperfield is a miserable producer of race horses with an AEI of 0.51. He has nearly 100 foals of racing age, so plenty of time to prove himself somehow...looks like that hasn't happened. None of them have earned any blacktype.

Enjoy your mare as a sporthorse! He is a lovely looking horse.

Sorry for the newbie comments, but what does AEI mean?

Sorry for the newbie comments, but what does AEI mean?
    No worries - it mean Average Earnings Index - so basically the average of how much purse money one stallions runners have made in relation to all the other runners in a time frame. The AEIs are tabulated each year for every stallion then the year end AEIs are averaged together for all the years stallions have runners.
    There is probably a better explanation out there, but basically 0.51 is really quite low.

I wouldn't breed to David Copperfield for a racehorse (personally, I wouldn't breed to him at all but that is just IMHO) but if you are happy with your filly and have other goals for her (show horse or sport horse) just enjoy her!!! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyTBs View Post
    No worries - it mean Average Earnings Index - so basically the average of how much purse money one stallions runners have made in relation to all the other runners in a time frame. The AEIs are tabulated each year for every stallion then the year end AEIs are averaged together for all the years stallions have runners.
    There is probably a better explanation out there, but basically 0.51 is really quite low.

I wouldn't breed to David Copperfield for a racehorse (personally, I wouldn't breed to him at all but that is just IMHO) but if you are happy with your filly and have other goals for her (show horse or sport horse) just enjoy her!!! :-)
    What is the range for AEI?

I've only had Diva in my pasture for 2 weeks. So far, she is turning out to be full of personality and very smart too. From what I can tell, she is just like her sire (personality wise).

The leading sires by AEI:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...lifetime-a-e-i

Some other AEI info:

http://www.equineline.com/dirreffr.cfm?topic=rfaei.htm

Above 1.00 is better than average, below 1.00 is below average.
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Quote Originally Posted by harvestmoon View Post
    The leading sires by AEI:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...lifetime-a-e-i

Some other AEI info:

http://www.equineline.com/dirreffr.cfm?topic=rfaei.htm

Above 1.00 is better than average, below 1.00 is below average.
    Thank you! This is all very usefull!

The only issue I have with bloodhorse is when I pull up David Copperfield, they only show his earnings at 100k when his actual earnings were over 500k. This makes me wonder if their numbers are incorrect.

Also, I did find out that Diva has a full sister who raced once. Is there anyway to track down thoroughbred's? I know Quarter Horses keep track of current owners and Thoroughbred's do not.

The only issue I have with bloodhorse is when I pull up David Copperfield, they only show his earnings at 100k when his actual earnings were over 500k. This makes me wonder if their numbers are incorrect.
    Where are you seeing that?

Also, I did find out that Diva has a full sister who raced once. Is there anyway to track down thoroughbred's? I know Quarter Horses keep track of current owners and Thoroughbred's do not.
    Track down siblings or owners? You can search for owners on Equibase. It shows who the owner was as of the last race. If it's a claiming race, you can read the chart to see if the horse was claimed and by who.
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Quote Originally Posted by harvestmoon View Post
    Where are you seeing that?

Track down siblings or owners? You can search for owners on Equibase. It shows who the owner was as of the last race. If it's a claiming race, you can read the chart to see if the horse was claimed and by who.

Bloodhorse David Copperfield is #17- http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...s/general/ohio

Equibase- http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...814&registry=T

I would like to track down her sibling. I'll check to see if she was claimed. If not, is there any other way?

Bloodhorse David Copperfield is #17- http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...s/general/ohio

Equibase- http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...22814®istry=T

I would like to track down her sibling. I'll check to see if she was claimed. If not, is there any other way?
    If it's the last column you're looking at on that report, those are the stallions' 2012 progeny earnings, not the earnings of the stallion himself.

Ahh, I see now. Thanks for the clarification!

From what I can tell her full sister, Podium Princess, was not claimed. Any ideas on finding this horse? I'm curious on how she turned out.