The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Whatever. Sounds like you have made up your mind to buy him. Wish you luck (really).
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by jumper528 View Post
    And when he "runs out" I'd say once I didn't get him to the perfect distance
    Can't take a joke, pass

the other time he just swooped out of the jump like a spook out of nowhere.
    Shies out of nowhere, pass

He's stopped 3 times (once at a funny 2'3" skinny and just bam stopped, twice at two different locations to an airy oxer ~3')
    Dirty stops = pain, usually. Pass.

The above is how I would look at it were it my money we were talking about.

4 members found this post helpful.

Definitely haven't made up my mind to buy him!

IMO, at less than 3ft they should NOT just stop if you don't get a perfect distance (unless it's a dangerous distance)! Been there, done that, will never ride one like that again!! Good amature/childrens horses should be able to take the occasional joke/missed distance/whateveryouwanttocallit!!! If a horse needs a perfect distance every single time at little fences, what chance does it stand at bigger fences?

Sorry, but I'd pass on this one, especially at this price, there are way to many nice horses for sale at good prices that don't have stops in them! Plus, if he's not scopy and easy at 2ft3 what makes you think he'll be a 3ft9 horse?

Just noticed I posted before you decided to buy him.........I hope that we will have a sucess story in a few months and not one like many others (including me) where confidence is down the tubes due to a nasty stopper that now you are stuck with!
    Last edited by eclipse; Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Op added another post!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I do like him a lot, and I'm afraid to "miss out" on a potentially good horse and pal... but I'm only just graduating from college this spring, and don't want to use all of my money on an overpriced horse... I was thinking 3,000.
    My other worry, being that you are just graduating college- do you have a job when you graduate? Are you prepared to cover your living expenses, board, any vet bills,etc?

I know it isn't my life but I am 5 years past graduating and I am still about 6 months off from feeling like I can financially support a horse along with my living expenses. I have managed a facility and taught professionally up until about 3 years ago and I understand the unexpected expenses that come up( pulled shoes, colic, stitches needed due to torn eyelids,hives,supplements,etc.etc. etc,) . my opinion-make sure you are stable in your career after graduating before taking on a big expenditure.

Have you sticked him? If he actually measures under 15h and you're thinking of potential re-sale, you might be able to get him to measure as a large pony then train him up and re-sell as a pony jumper. I think that would be a more valuable marketing option than a too-small horse with a spook and a stop being marketed as a jr hunter, eq horse, or adult jumper anything.

If you can get him a large card, then get him solid in the child/adult jumpers (or in the pj's with a jr catch rider, assuming the spook/stop can be fixed and a lead change installed, you're in business. The adult market for such a small horse is equally small, better chance selling to a junior for the pony jumpers.

If you're looking to buy for keeps, if you can negotiate the price down, do what you want and good luck and have fun. But when buying a 6 year old at the age of what, 23? I would always think about resale potential as you never know what will happen in the 10-15 years he has left of his career.

That being said, having ridden an incredibly talented horse with a dirty stop (over anything from cross-rails to 4'), I'd pass on that alone. It's too much of a heartbreak. And I agree that he's way overpriced.
    friend of bar.ka

Pony Jumpers are worth even less then this horse is priced at now. Almost no market at all and what there is only for something that can pack. Not much of a marketing ploy, unfortunately.

1 members found this post helpful.

Stopping 3 times over a length of time does NOT necessarily make a horse a dirty stopper. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. But without seeing the horse (and rider) in person, there's no way of saying whether he dirty stops, or if he was given a bad ride, is a green horse, and opted to stop rather than take an ugly distance, or if he wasn't sure about the jump and started backing off 10 strides out and the rider didn't do anything. Maybe he would have gone if the rider gave a slightly stronger rider. Who knows?

Not dissing the rider (I've obviously never seen you rider, you could be the next Beezie Madden for all I know ). I'm just trying to point out there's no way to say how much the horse is worth or what kind of horse he is without ever seeing him.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Sounds overpriced to me for the description.

I
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Pass. You can find another horse without "potential" problems for that much money and hes/she will be just as sweet and you will love them as much as you love this on. Promise!

I'm in Zone 2 and a quick search on dreamhorse brought up some nice grey prospects with a better resale value in your $3000 range. I'd pass on this one.

He sounds like a fun project. I bought a 14.3 grade mare for that purpose- she was interesting to ride, cute little jump, and we made progress. We had fun for a year and a half- never showed her, but that's not really my thing. From what I understand, her new owner is showing her and having a blast.

In your case, you have actual goals and dreams besides having a fun project. Will this guy realistically meet those goals and dreams? Will you be crushed and heartbroken if he doesn't? Basically, are you buying the horse because you really like the horse and want to enjoy him and possibly resell him once he turns into a dreamboat, or are you buying the slim chance to make your dreams come true? 'Cos, regardless of training, there are a million things that happen to horses each day that makes them really bad investments. Not peeing on your parade, just a truth I had to very harshly face earlier this year.

I bought two fun projects for about $500 each (yes, 500- not missing a zero!) and never regretted a minute. One was the grade mare I mentioned, the other was a papered Appy with a show record. This guy sounds like fun, but you can find them for far less money!

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post

Start with something that will have a more likely chance at getting where you want it to go. Lots sitting on the market right now, start with better raw material. This one sounds like what I'd call a "backyard special" offered at a big barn price.

Sorry.
    OT, but what kinds of places are horses with possible high adult/AO jumper potential sitting on the market for that price range? Not being snarky, I actually want to know for myself! I think I'm mentally stuck in the way overpriced market.

Quote Originally Posted by k_lee85 View Post
    OT, but what kinds of places are horses with possible high adult/AO jumper potential sitting on the market for that price range? Not being snarky, I actually want to know for myself! I think I'm mentally stuck in the way overpriced market.
    I guess I just don't see where the high adult or A/O jumper potential is with this one. It's only shown 2'6" hunters and local puddle jumpers, has no lead change and gets around a 3'3" to 3'9 couse at home in "disheveled" fashion-and, face it, at home courses are nowhere near what the show fences are and there is no worry about time allowed. And it bucks and can be rude about going to and over the jump.

Does not scream success for the OP says she wants to do with it. Thats not even considering it has a tumor on it's neck and is, maybe, 15h.

If it actually had shown it could get around even a 3'6" show Jumper course at a competitive show in a decent time a few times? Might see a little more promise/potential. For now it's over priced, right now it's a local 3' and under horse with bad manners and no lead change.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    I guess I just don't see where the high adult or A/O jumper potential is with this one. It's only shown 2'6" hunters and local puddle jumpers, has no lead change and gets around a 3'3" to 3'9 couse at home in "disheveled" fashion-and, face it, at home courses are nowhere near what the show fences are and there is no worry about time allowed. And it bucks and can be rude about going to and over the jump.

Does not scream success for the OP says she wants to do with it. Thats not even considering it has a tumor on it's neck and is, maybe, 15h.

If it actually had shown it could get around even a 3'6" show Jumper course at a competitive show in a decent time a few times? Might see a little more promise/potential. For now it's over priced, right now it's a local 3' and under horse with bad manners and no lead change.
    I'm not sure where you live that you can find a 6 year old 3'6" jumper for 7.5K, but you definitely won't find that in my area unless it's 'made it around 3'6" once while scaring everybody to death'. Especially one described in the OP as "He is sweet, loads, good overall ground manners", "He has a great jump, very square and cute & frames up nicely." "ribbons in those shows in the 2'6" hunters (3rd at a AA show)", " He is super scopey, adjustable, and lengthy stride. I have jumped him around a 3'3-3'9 course at home, pretty well but a little disheveled. He keeps his ears up and is very cute, I would also do him in the 3'3" adult Eq, and maybe adult or A/O hunters. He's pretty versatile."

The horse is a lesson horse, so some of his 'misbehavior' (ie rumoured buck, occasional stop/spook, green changes) is probably related to being a bit sour.

Obviously I haven't seen the horse, but I find hard to believe this would be only a $3,000-4,000 horse.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Well, a lot of people like to be experts on the internets, so please do not read these responses and make up your mind based on what a bunch of folks say - particularly folks who have never seen you or the horse.

If I was in your shoes, I would ask myself exactly *why* this one appeals to me, what I hope to do with him, and what I would need to do to get him there. I would also want to jump him higher to see how his scope feels under saddle- even just a three or four fence gymnastic with a nice big square oxer at the end would help. If you answer those questions to your own satisfaction you can think about value and (if you want) see if they are willing to take less.

Perhaps you might see if you can lease him for a month or two- the sellers might not go for that (I wouldn't), but at least that way you could possibly figure out if he has potential AND you can do something with it. Good luck- take a breath, test ride a few others if you can, and hopefully you will end up with exactly the right horse for you.
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

2 members found this post helpful.

Default Recent horse search in zone 3

Having recently purchased a horse after a month+ search in zones 2 and 3, I can affirm the opinions expressed above, especially the previous poster: Why do you want to buy this particular horse? There are some great horses available for well below $7,500, although the best ones I saw were in Maryland and Northern Virginia. I lined up prospects and made a few road trips, getting a hotel room for me and my videographer.

It sounds like you may be emotionally attached to this horse. Keep in mind that your final year of college is extremely stressful, possibly not the best time to buy a horse. If you do, make sure you are being rational. There are great horses out there that you can get at your original price point.
    Last edited by djnwv; Jan. 5, 2013 at 09:03 AM. Reason: tmi

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post

Obviously I haven't seen the horse, but I find hard to believe this would be only a $3,000-4,000 horse.
    got to say I agree. I guess I need to move because $7500 sounds like it would be a great deal for a horse like this in my area. The are a few things that are concerning, but I don't really see the talentless, worrisome horse others are seeing. I'd want to have the melanoma checked out, I'd want to analyze the stopping issue, I'd want to see evidence that a lead chang will be there, and that there was a sufficient amount of stride for what I want to do. the only thing that I would find super annoying is the pawing...I HATE pawing (as a former owner of a paw-er, I didn't know how annoying it really was until I got one that didn't).

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I think he's over priced, esp with a spook on him. I pay for brains and quiet over possible talent.
    My TB has a bit of a spook in him. He can look at a jump sometimes, too. He's also got a buck every once in a while. I still categorize him as being quiet and having brains. I would put relaxed beginners on him, no problem (he doesn't like bracing and handsy riders so they would be a no go). Greg Best called him a "sofa of a TB." I think that means I just had to sit up there and look pretty?

I've got to agree with foursocks. OP has ridden the horse and hopefully can tell if it she likes it and has the possibility of doing what she wants. she also has to decide for herself if she would be happy with this particular horse if it turns out not to be able to do what she wants...and take that into consideration. If she won't be, she may have a difficult time selling it on due many of the things that have been pointed out.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

I'm originally from California and good hunter-type horses are definitely more expensive out there. Two of the barns I've shown with here in West Virginia sold and shipped very nice hunters (AQHA appendix) to buyers on the West Coast. A well priced, but not for me, OTTB I looked at in my most recent horse search also wound up being shipped to a buyer in CA.
    Last edited by djnwv; Jan. 4, 2013 at 09:51 PM. Reason: correction

Thumbs up

I agree, too!
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post
    I agree with everything findeight said. Me, too!

Plus, the melanoma at such a young age would really bother me. For the amount of money the sellers are asking, I think you can do much better.
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans