The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

3 or below. You can hopefully double that with hard work.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Sorry, I completely agree with F8 (as usual.) Tons of red flags here, pretty much from every angle.

I know a lot of people get that romantic, "but I can transform him into a wonder horse!" thing going on, but the truth of the matter is that it is very unlikely to work out that way. And if it doesn't, you have a small, rude, semi-broke horse of unknown origin/age on your hands, with a cosmetically problematic health issue. It is hard to imagine a more difficult horse to re-sell.
    If you just love them enough and feed them enough treats you can join up and have that wonder horse you've always wanted. LOL

I saw this moments after it was posted and actually thought it might be someone being silly. Got the same sort of show record reg. TB mare arriving next Saturday that is 16.3, sound, quiet & uncomplicated good mover that doesn't stop but does look hard at spooky stuff and require an intermediate rider (last hard spook was coming around a corner to find Duke Power chain sawing trees)....she was under $6k.

I'd keep looking. And if you have a thing for small greys, my daughter's medium needs someone to take him on a tour over fences! He's supposed to be grey but right now looks like filthy white velcro. He does jump with his knees at his ears and is brave all day long...but precious daughter has morphed into a DQ.

I would keep looking. very over priced, to me more like $1500
    I can explain it TO you,but I can't understand it FOR you

The real question is is he worth 7,500 to YOU? Who cares what a bubch of people who've mever even seen the horse think. Do YOU like him enough to pay that much for him?

2 members found this post helpful.

I do like him a lot, and I'm afraid to "miss out" on a potentially good horse and pal... but I'm only just graduating from college this spring, and don't want to use all of my money on an overpriced horse... I was thinking 3,000.

I think he's over priced, esp with a spook on him. I pay for brains and quiet over possible talent.

Buuuuuuut, if you like him "a lot" and think he might be something nice that you'd enjoy, make an offer. Granted going to college is going to eat into your "training" time, but there ya have it.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Nope. No way. It's easier to train something to never stop than try and convince something that it shouldn't stop anymore. And at 15hh? If it didn't work out I doubt you'd find anyone who'd pay more than pocket change for him just because he's little. Sure, there are pony freaks like Teddy who have the step and the scope for the big stuff but they also are ridden by the best of the best. No offense so you at all. You'd be better off buying a nice young horse and building him yourself. No use buying a trainer's mistakes.

I've got a 15.2 chestnut OTTB with a great race record, easy keeper, sweet until you girth up, really cute mover and jumper, with a spook that I will sell you for $7500!

I think you can find a better fit - size, ability, resale potential, and price.

I've got a 15.2 chestnut OTTB with a great race record, easy keeper, sweet until you girth up, really cute mover and jumper, with a spook that I will sell you for $7500!

I think you can find a better fit - size, ability, resale potential, and price.

I'll be the voice of dissent. Sold a 15.1hh grade gelding. Was 8, but all your other descriptions matched. Proven reliable for older kid. Sold in chester co, PA a year ago. Asked $8.5k, got $7.5k after a week on the market. Prob could have eeked out a little more, but was happy to have it done quickly and easily.

I had LOADS of inquiries. A lot of people WANT to ride something that size.

ETA: Sorry, said horse had changes and was pretty dead honest.

It is pretty hard to say just based on a description with no photos or video. He sounds fun and versatile, and if he's green but still happy to jump around a 3'9" course with you and has scope for more, he may be under priced! As for the stops, that's also a tough call. Sometimes a horse should stop if you get him in badly enough!

Looking on a piece of paper it's easy to say he is overpriced, but only you and your trainer know him and what is best for you. A 15h horse is a very hard sell, though, so if you get him I'd plan on having him a long time!
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

thought OP said the horse ran out, not stopped? Running out is a pilot error so maybe he is braver than we thought? I work with a lot of small horses who do great at fences suitable for their size and step but need to agree with the others, if you are thinking of doing junior hunters at rated shows, you probably need something bigger with the strides. Unless of coure that this guy is a 10+ mover and has that freakishly large stride for his size!

Well, I bought a similar sounding horse for 13k. He was very hot, 15.0hh, supposedly a quarter horse, PITA to clip, otherwise good manners, very difficult ride, with some eventing experience but no real show jumping.

Oh and he didn't pass the vetting. Yes, we paid 13 for him. He was worth it and much more. Went on to do children's jumper finals (and place) at WIHS and Harrisburg, and then up to low juniors at WEF with a winning record. Offers of 40+ for him... But nope, he's retired in my backyard.

A horse is only worth what someone's willing to pay for it. In my case, we were willing to gamble a bit.
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    The real question is is he worth 7,500 to YOU? Who cares what a bubch of people who've mever even seen the horse think. Do YOU like him enough to pay that much for him?
    That's what I was going to say - if you have the money and he's what you want, then he's not overpriced. If you're looking to resell and make money, then maybe it's too high.

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    That's what I was going to say - if you have the money and he's what you want, then he's not overpriced. If you're looking to resell and make money, then maybe it's too high.

OP has posted she is just coming out of college and poor. Was thinking spending around 3k. Sounds like she boards out and that will be her one horse-and she wants to do AA rateds in A/Os or Adult Jumpers , Eq and/or Hunters as a goal with whatever she does buy.

Given that information, this one is probably not going to work and would be about twice her budget target. She could make a low offer if she really wants him and knows she can keep him instead of having to sell if he does not work out...but I don't see him fullfilling her stated goals...plus that tumor is problematic.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    OP has posted she is just coming out of college and poor. Was thinking spending around 3k.
    Ahh! I somehow missed that part!

I dont know - I think if the horse has the scope for the AO's he is certainly worth that asking price. Take the horse on trial if you can, and see what you think when you up the jump with a pro rider.

One of the top meter, 1.10 horses here is a 15hh grade mare. She has been in the top 3 for YEARS in a competitive division of 80+ horses. 4 inches smaller in height doesnt mean 4 inches shorter in stride. Adjustability and ridability is key.

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

I'd say with the market the way it is and the size, 3K would be in order, even less. Horses like that in Ontario right now are even going for under $1000 in many cases.

*not a poor graduating student, I have the money and would board him at full board the show barn he's at now. I just don't want to be "ripped off"/ waste my money.

And when he "runs out" I'd say once I didn't get him to the perfect distance, the other time he just swooped out of the jump like a spook out of nowhere. He's stopped 3 times (once at a funny 2'3" skinny and just bam stopped, twice at two different locations to an airy oxer ~3')