The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Buying a horse- 15hh jumper... is he priced right?

I am looking into buying a 15hh 6yo unknown breed gelding. He is sweet, loads, good overall ground manners (except he paws, nbd).
    I have shown him once in the 3' jumpers. He has shown very minimally locally, but had ribbons in those shows in the 2'6" hunters (3rd at a AA show). He has a great jump, very square and cute & frames up nicely. He has the occasional spook, has run out of two very plain airy oxers with me in the ~10x riding him, and has a rumored buck. Does not know his lead changes well yet.
    Right now he's a lesson horse.
    Because he is young, I am hoping to train him up to the high Adult Jumpers and maybe the low A/O's. He is super scopey, adjustable, and lengthy stride. I have jumped him around a 3'3-3'9 course at home, pretty well but a little disheveled. He keeps his ears up and is very cute, I would also do him in the 3'3" adult Eq, and maybe adult or A/O hunters. He's pretty versatile.
    Has a white horse melanoma on his neck.

They are asking $7,500. This seems a little high to me?
    Last edited by jumper528; Jan. 3, 2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: clarification

15 hand grade gelding reportedly 6 (but no proof with no papers), rough around the edges, can be rude, no changes, jumping 2'6" mainly locally and needing work even there?

Yeah, I'd say 7500 is high. should be half that, or less. You could pull one out of a field for alot less that will not have learned to be rude or "disheveled". Start it right.

I know you didn't ask but...if you want to do A/O Jumpers or Hunters or even the Adults? 15h is problematic because there will be combinations and spread fences set for a much bigger stride then a 15h er will have unless he is a total freak-and those need a terrific rider to manage that freakishly big step. Plus they never look as smooth as a bigger horse.

I wouldn't even care for this one at lower heights and easier step if he is 6, broke well enough to be jumping and still gets rude/stops at 3' or less. Sure not going to pay 7500 to fix somebody elses bad training and the bad habits they allowed to develop. Honestly, he should have a change by now if he was going to have a good one as well. It's not rocket science or some mystical process, it's just being broke and balanced...which it should be before jumping any courses 2'6 to 3' courses at a show.

Start with something that will have a more likely chance at getting where you want it to go. Lots sitting on the market right now, start with better raw material. This one sounds like what I'd call a "backyard special" offered at a big barn price.

Sorry.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

5 members found this post helpful.

I agree with everything findeight said.

Plus, the melanoma at such a young age would really bother me. For the amount of money the sellers are asking, I think you can do much better.

2 members found this post helpful.

Way overpriced. He sounds like a project for a very special person and should be priced as such.

Yes and he's grey. Apparently the melanoma is not a cancerous kind

So more in the $3,000 range? or $4,000? Would be right?

I don't recall ever seeing a true, diagnosed melanoma on the neck of a 6 year old (any horse actually) but have seen a variety of other tumors and cancers totally unrelated to melanoma, some benign, some maligant and some that grow and become quite unsightly even if they don't kill it. Some can be removed, others cannot but I sure would not buy one with one. Lease a proven winner with one for sure (and there are some out there), not buy that potential for trouble.

1 members found this post helpful.

**I'm thinking now I may move on to look at other horses, but still considering so all replies are appreciated!!! I think with work I could make him "something special" and have a thing for small greys, so he really intrigued me. And at a local clinic the trainer said he was a great jumper and should be sold as a small Junior hunter (I don't think she realized quite how small he was though, lol).

Thanks! That's what I thought I appreciate the honesty!

Quote Originally Posted by jumper528 View Post
    ...And at a local clinic the trainer said he was a great jumper and should be sold as a small Junior hunter (I don't think she realized quite how small he was though, lol).
    Good, let her buy and resell him as a Small Junior...even tho is is totally unproven at even 3' has no changes and sometimes has a stop at very low fences.

Beware some random Pro comments when looking to buy a horse-they see $$$ in your purchase for themselves if you come into their barn and allow them to $tring you along chasing false hopes of selling him later as the smallest horse doing the 3'6" Jrs in the nation.

If you like him as he is today? Buy him for that-at about 50% or less of where he is priced now.

I feel like you could find something nicer and with less iffy problems for that price. And I would never buy a horse that young with a melanoma, that's asking for future trouble.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

My grey mare had a melenoma at 4. We froze it off, and it never came back, so I would get a vet's opinion before writing a horse off based on that, or have the seller get it treated.

It sounds like you have been riding/around the horse quite a bit, and know him quite well. My thought is that it is because you have this inside knowledge of him you have seen more of his quirks than someone else coming to try him may. Even good horses display the occassionaly naughty behaviour while learning, but most sellers don't let their potential buyers see the sticky parts.

The fact you have been able to show him, and really know him should add some value to you, as it is not often a person gets that chance.

As for his price? Look around your area and see what similar type horses sell for. See what else is out there as an alternative. If your area doesn't have much for sale, then his price may be realistic as a starting point.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

It really depends on where you live. In my area, he sounds priced about right. In other areas, he would be overpriced.

If you are planning on making an offer, I definitely wouldn't ask any lower than 5K, and even then be prepared to walk away.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Sorry, I completely agree with F8 (as usual.) Tons of red flags here, pretty much from every angle.

I know a lot of people get that romantic, "but I can transform him into a wonder horse!" thing going on, but the truth of the matter is that it is very unlikely to work out that way. And if it doesn't, you have a small, rude, semi-broke horse of unknown origin/age on your hands, with a cosmetically problematic health issue. It is hard to imagine a more difficult horse to re-sell.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I see absolutely nothing in the description of the horse that suggests he could be a small junior hunter.

Maybe the trainer meant only a "small junior" could ride him because a taller junior wouldn't fit him, haha

Without changes he couldn't even be competitive in the 2'6 divisions even at local unrated shows in my area.

We're in Zone 2... right in the middle of horse show country

No offense, OP, but I laughed when I read that you're in Zone 2. He's 15 hands without a reliable lead change and your trainer thinks he could be a successful small junior? Not in that area.

I would pass on him.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    No offense, OP, but I laughed when I read that you're in Zone 2. He's 15 hands without a reliable lead change and your trainer thinks he could be a successful small junior? Not in that area.

I would pass on him.
    I agree with passing or at least paying a whole lot less. In Zone 2 you might find some success in the 3'6'' hunters at local, smaller C shows. But even at bigger C shows competition is very stiff in the jrs.
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

Just remember that you always need more step and more scope than you will use..if it is becoming slightly difficult at 3'6-3'9" then he might be scoping out at 3'9". As a rule, you never want to show at the height that your horse starts to have a hard time. If you make a mistake, he won't recover and a big crash will happen. A jumper will need a solid change (especially if you want to cross over to Hunter or Eq.), and a willingness to jump anything! If you are worried about the scary oxer, he can't be worried about it. Showing is expensive and nerve wracking anyway. I would find something very suited for what I wanted to do. If I didn't have a budget for that, then I would lease or consider new goals. If you don't then you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Best wishes on your horse search! I'm sure you will find the perfect partner
    Certified Spiritual Medium/ Animal Communicator
    www.heatherevebristol.com
    www.meliorastables.net

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    I agree with passing or at least paying a whole lot less. In Zone 2 you might find some success in the 3'6'' hunters at local, smaller C shows. But even at bigger C shows competition is very stiff in the jrs.
    I'm not sure I've seen the juniors even fill at the C shows.

Also, I accidentally gave you a thumbs up when I was trying to click "reply with quote," but I like you so it's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    I'm not sure I've seen the juniors even fill at the C shows.

Also, I accidentally gave you a thumbs up when I was trying to click "reply with quote," but I like you so it's okay.
    Haha well thanks for the accidental thumbs up! I've seen them fill at Old Salem and a few others, but you're right in that it is very hit or miss.
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz