The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kadenz View Post
    I think I can make a good guess as to whose FB page this was. If it's who I think it is, this type of activity is pretty common from him. He doesn't mind *some* discussion, but is pretty happy to block people who rock the boat even a little bit. Happened to me!
    That makes me think less of this person. I'll PM you the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Hear_my_echo View Post
    I'm trying not to post anything that will name the BNR. Basically, they post a photo and some test. I've posted a few times before an got a helpful answer.

Today's post basically called all 'now' riders lazy and it rubbed me the wrong way. I expressed my opinion very politely and am shocked at the response.
    This is pretty much what happened to me, too. The person I "conflicted" with has a very tell-it-like-it-is personality (and a bit of a "kids these days" grumpiness); however, he very much sees his FB page as HIS soapbox: HE spouts off, and others agree, or disagree very carefully.

Well, even if it wasn't the same person, I guess the same message still applies: some people just act like that. Probably says more about their personality than their knowledge.
    Whatever.

OP, don't feel bad. AC4H has me blocked because I complained (and reported) that they had one of my photos of my sister on her (long dead) not-rescued horse posted in their "success stories" page.

Class shows.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    OP, don't feel bad. AC4H has me blocked because I complained (and reported) that they had one of my photos of my sister on her (long dead) not-rescued horse posted in their "success stories" page.

Class shows.
    I'm not sure who AC4H is but that sucks.

1 members found this post helpful.

No offense, OP, but given that after one less than satisfactory encounter, you have come onto COTH to tell the world one PM at a time (or one post-each revealing more details-at a time) about this BNR's less than chummy reaction to your criticism, you strike me as someone who could be willing to escalate into saying annoying things on the facebook page directly. Maybe the BNR got that sense from your prior posts and this one tipped it over.
    Last edited by NCRider; Jan. 3, 2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: wrong word

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRider View Post
    No offense, OP, but given that after one less than satisfactory encounter, you have come onto COTH to tell the world one PM at a time (or one post-each revealing more details-at a time) about this BNR's less than chummy reaction to your criticism, you strike me as someone who could be willing to escalate into saying ugly things on the facebook page directly. Maybe the BNR got that sense from your prior posts and this one tipped it over.
    Eh, no. I've told one person the name so far and that'll be it. I could have come in here and posted the name/page. I didn't. I'm not vindictive and I really wouldn't post nasty comments on -anyone's- facebook page. I think I've posted on their threads a total of three times.

It's also not very nice to accuse me of things that I'd never do.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRider View Post
    No offense, OP, but given that after one less than satisfactory encounter, you have come onto COTH to tell the world one PM at a time (or one post-each revealing more details-at a time) about this BNR's less than chummy reaction to your criticism, you strike me as someone who could be willing to escalate into saying annoying things on the facebook page directly. Maybe the BNR got that sense from your prior posts and this one tipped it over.
    I don't see that at all.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

10 members found this post helpful.

Some folks feel that the only comments that should ever be made on their "wall" are ones of complete agreement, and kudos. I for one, enjoy hearing thoughts and opinions from others, even if I don't agree with them. It has really opened up some very thought provoking discussions, and helps me not to forget that there is more then one road that leads to Rome.

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    I don't see that at all.
    Thank you. I'm going to log off the internet now and go and hug my dogs.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm not sure who AC4H is but that sucks.

Try doing a search here....

So if I'd posted something that agree with him, that would have been okay? What's the point of having a discussion if other viewpoints can't be discussed?
    You are making the assumption that it is meant to be a discussion.

A Facebook page for a BNR is _advertising_. Just like their farm website. As such it needs to reflect a positive public image.

How they go about doing that is up to them. If it had been a blog, comments would probably have been moderated and not displayed until approved. On Facebook, they can only delete them after the fact.

:::shrug::: By the time someone attains that 'B' in BNR, chances are they're somewhat... opinionated.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I guess I just don't understand that. What's the point of posting something if all you want is for people to agree with you?

Because probably, for him, most people do agree with him or would never hint at contradiction and it strokes him. You? Not so much so be gone with ya!!

Some people don't stay *nice* when they get *big*.

I had a BNT that I have been acquainted with for years ask to friend me on FB. Okay. Cool. Then she started hounding me about my political posts, which of course were opposite hers. She actually expected me to censor myself so she didn't have distasteful stuff showing up on HER page. Ummmm...BIG FAT NO!!

I saved her from my posts by unfriending her. I hope we can have the same genial-in-passing relationship that we had before. It's up to her.

This is all a bit silly really... I saw the original Facebook post and the trainer's response. For what it's worth, this is an individual with no need to advertise, who is simply trying to promote certain disciplines. The post he made was not a discussion topic, but a statement intended to entice new riders to a particular sport by emphasizing its challenges and applicability for modern riders. This would have been clear if it was taken in the context of several other similar posts.

I believe the OP of this thread simply took one aspect of the trainer's comments out-of-context, commented as such, and was subsequently deleted - possibly in the interest of maintaining the promotional nature of the topic, and the focus on the usefulness of the particular sport. IMO, we should spend more time thanking those senior riders and trainers who make an effort to promote and enhance their disciplines, long after it serves any personal gain.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

I am not a big name rider or trainer but I do delete some comments from my facebook page. I feel like it represents me and my business and I don't want things there that I disagree with. A couple of times I have mentioned how stupid I think the lasix ban is and people disagree and think it is a great thing which is fine but since I don't feel that way, I don't want that on my page. I haven't had to ban anybody yet though.

Public places.....public comments....people ought to take a course in journalism or public relations before they ignorantly set up FB pages and websites.

I have to say that most BNR's have pathetic PR skills. Smart ones hire professionals, thank goodness, or they'd be torpedoing the sport regularly with lunatic comments and stupid pet tricks.

I think this attitude goes along with the "I'm a great rider and don't need to learn anything" that DOC was describing at the convention. Change your tune, or no team, baby.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

2 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I don't friend anyone I don't know on FB. Having said that, I also never post something I wouldn't want a potential future employer to see.

In this situation I think both you and the BNR probably overreacted a little bit. I can understand why he would delete your comment but I think banning you is a bit unnecessary, considering you have posted comments in the past which have been acceptable and added to the discussion. I think you've probably overreacted in your reaction to the situation. It's really not that big of a deal and if it matters, I would send the BNR a message explaining your position, apologizing, and asking if you could be unbanned.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

That person's FB page. That person's rules.

Period.

4 members found this post helpful.

And a basic truth of humanity is that when grumpy old men start ranting, don't interrupt them if you are unprepared for consequences! ;-P

12 members found this post helpful.

It's on facebook though. Surely posting a comment on there, on a thread that is public isn't the same thing?

I have learned a lot from this person, but some of the comments didn't sit right with me. I chose to comment on this one, and got swatted for it.

Well, the fact that they retain the password to the page and also the administrative power to delete what they choose is pretty indicative of the fact that it is THEIR turf which you are CHOOSING to visit.

So for example:
    If someone wants to go post anti gay hate speech on some website out there that has nothing to do with me and over which I have no control or jurisdiction, then I guess that's a corner of the web they choose to visit.

If they try to post that same shizzle on MY wall? Nuh-uh. This particular corner of the web is MY corner of the web, not everyone else's.