The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default BNRs posting on Facebook... might be long, sorry.

I liked a BNR/farm on facebook a while ago. I have been reading the comments with interest, and I've learned a lot.

Today that BNR posted something that didn't sit right with me, so I commented on it. I wasn't rude, or abusive but put my thoughts across.

They deleted my comment and blocked me.

To be honest, I'm disappointed. Until today, I've been enjoying reading the posts. They were by someone I looked up to and now this has spoiled the way I think about them.

I'm not sure why I'm posting on here... I needed to vent, I guess.

2 members found this post helpful.

FB has allowed me to get to know people "on a deeper level" as the tv ad says. But sometimes I find out things that were better not known. And that makes it hard for me to see them in the same, favorable light. Sometimes staying on the surface is the best way.

I'm sorry you got locked out of a place you enjoyed. Apparently, discussion and counter points is not wanted.

5 members found this post helpful.

There is a reason why corporations, politicians and celebrities hire PR/Communications firms to handle their media and comm. When you are in a business where you need to have public goodwill, you need to scrutinize every message you send out to the public.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

Thanks. One of their posts says 'My page, my opinions. Don't like it, go elsewhere, not kidding.'

Just seems like a terrible attitude to have. Like I said, I have learned a lot from this person, but now I'm questioning if any of it is... worthwhile. (Not sure that is the right word, but it's the closest I can get.)

Surely frank discussion is better for everyone?

Not everyone has good people skills, some don't have them in person, and others don't have them online. It doesn't make them a bad rider or a bad teacher necessarily.

I guess that I just can't get past the fact that they deleted my comment because it didn't agree with what they said. That's not bad people skills, it's just arrogant. I don't mind blunt. I really don't. I just can't understand removing a comment because it's posting a different opinion.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hear_my_echo View Post
    I just can't understand removing a comment because it's posting a different opinion.
    It makes sense when you consider someone's website/webpage/forum to be their virtual private property. Just like on real property, you can be silenced, censored, or trespassed if the owner does not like what you say.

7 members found this post helpful.

It's on facebook though. Surely posting a comment on there, on a thread that is public isn't the same thing?

I have learned a lot from this person, but some of the comments didn't sit right with me. I chose to comment on this one, and got swatted for it.

It's on facebook though. Surely posting a comment on there, on a thread that is public isn't the same thing?
    No, it isn't. That is a common misconception.

It's no different than a private business open to the public. You can be made to shut up or leave if the owner does not like your conduct or speech.

That page is their public persona. They get to decide what appears there.

No, you don't have a right to be heard on someone else's 'property'.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

7 members found this post helpful.

So if I'd posted something that agree with him, that would have been okay? What's the point of having a discussion if other viewpoints can't be discussed?

Echo, I also would have thought it rude if you were polite. Why not take that question or comment as an opportunity to further explain what they meant/their method? FB is very enlightening... for a long time mine was only people I actually knew IRL but more and more horse people I respect are added for networking purposes. I have always been careful what I post (I have two 12yo cousins for example that are added) but I am especially careful now. Some of the things I read from professionals are shocking to say the least.

At least you now know how this person acts when questioned before you actually did business with them.

1 members found this post helpful.

I know exactly which discussion you were talking about. I saw nothing disrespectful in your comment and noticed it got some "likes" - I'm a little shocked that it was later deleted and you were blocked.

Perhaps discussion is what they are trying to avoid. They see their FB as a way to get info out to their "followers" but don't want it to turn into a prolonged discussion about whether they are right or wrong. Which, I believe, is their right.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

4 members found this post helpful.

I was polite. I posted something like this: "I don't think you can paint all riders with the same brush. Some will be willing to do the work, others won't."

I'm in a different country so it's very unlikely that I'll ever do business with them.

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    I know exactly which discussion you were talking about. I saw nothing disrespectful in your comment and noticed it got some "likes" - I'm a little shocked that it was later deleted and you were blocked.
    Thank you. I can't understand why it was deleted. I'd have liked the discussion to carry on.

What's the point of having a discussion if other viewpoints can't be discussed?
    Well, since we don't know what the BNR rider posted and what your response was, we're all kind of guessing.

But how do you KNOW they wanted a discussion?? I know I posted on FB about my dog being naughty, jumping on the couch and eating some chocolate, which blossomed into a big deal, with factions formed between "zomg drama drama take to vet drama force feed peroxide to him so he will throw up" etc and "chill...obviously TheJenners isn't going to let her dog die, TheJenners' dog is too big for a few pieces of chocolate to hurt," etc. I didn't delete anything, but I was NOT looking for a discussion either and thought a couple people were out of line. And this was completely between other people, I never responded once. But I'm sure they felt entitled to say what they wanted to say, because it was FB.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by magicteetango View Post
    Echo, I also would have thought it rude if you were polite. Why not take that question or comment as an opportunity to further explain what they meant/their method? FB is very enlightening... for a long time mine was only people I actually knew IRL but more and more horse people I respect are added for networking purposes. I have always been careful what I post (I have two 12yo cousins for example that are added) but I am especially careful now. Some of the things I read from professionals are shocking to say the least.

At least you now know how this person acts when questioned before you actually did business with them.
    Actually, now you know how this person acts when challenged in public. All they have done is refuse to get into a public discussion about the topic with you and to hide evidence of your attempt to confront them about it. Frankly, given that facebook pages of professionals are basically PR, I don't blame them. In my mind is like a stand up comedian engaging with a heckler. They can't win. I was reviewing a popular facebook page the other day about training horses for the english disciplines and someone was challenging them about the use of crops and spurs. In a theoretically innocent and polite way. Really???? That person wasn't asking about why we use crops and spurs in the English disciplines. They were pushing an animal rights agenda. No amount of explanation was going to change their mind or be remotely beneficial to anyone else reading the site. All it was going to do was distract from the real discussion. As someone trying to learn something from the site, I'd rather they block that person than waste time getting into an argument with someone with an agenda.
    Now I have no way of knowing what disagreement you tried to start with that BNR on their facebook page (maybe it was totally harmless-why do you prefer x brand of xc boots?) but if you really wanted to engage in a discussion about anything remotely controversial and not put the heat on the BNR you would have sent them whatever the FB equivalent of a private message is.

3 members found this post helpful.

I was polite. I posted something like this: "I don't think you can paint all riders with the same brush. Some will be willing to do the work, others won't."

I'm in a different country so it's very unlikely that I'll ever do business with them.
    I think I can make a good guess as to whose FB page this was. If it's who I think it is, this type of activity is pretty common from him. He doesn't mind *some* discussion, but is pretty happy to block people who rock the boat even a little bit. Happened to me!
    Whatever.

I'm trying not to post anything that will name the BNR. Basically, they post a photo and some test. I've posted a few times before an got a helpful answer.

Today's post basically called all 'now' riders lazy and it rubbed me the wrong way. I expressed my opinion very politely and am shocked at the response.

If the rider had come back with 'i think that because....' I might have learned something from it.