The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 28 of 28
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul. 14, 2011
    Location
    Warren County, NJ
    Posts
    1,025

    Default

    Since your mare gets woolly and will be unblanketed, be sure the shelter is more than large enough for the number of horses using it. If your mare should be at the bottom of the pecking order, in wet weather she may be stuck standing outside in the rain getting soaked and unable to dry off. With lots of hair, she could get rainrot.

    I pasture boarded for many years. Are there at least two gates to get in and out of the turnout area? When one spot got too wet/muddy, they had everyone use another one in a less-used area. And how often is the shed cleaned?

    Is the pasture divided into sections? Will they be turned out in a sacrifice area during the winter, then put out onto new grass in the spring?

    Is someone there during feeding to be sure each horse gets their own feed/sups? Are the slower eaters separated? My place had rails attached to the back of the shed, making straight stalls for the slower ones.

    Is the area area lit well enough so you can go and find your horse? Lighting an entire pasture is impossible, but the shed and gate area should be lit somewhat.

    Do the other horses' owners ever come see their horses? When I pasture boarded, there was one older horse whose owner never ever came to see him. Me, the sucker that I am, felt bad for him and would usually groom him, de-shed him, and fuss over him because he was my horse's bf. If a horse is neglected at your place, how much care will the farm give?

    Just a few things that weren't mentioned in previous posts.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan. 5, 2013
    Location
    The Shore of MD & DE
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pony baloney View Post
    When I pasture boarded, there was one older horse whose owner never ever came to see him. Me, the sucker that I am, felt bad for him and would usually groom him, de-shed him, and fuss over him because he was my horse's bf. If a horse is neglected at your place, how much care will the farm give?
    Isn't that just the saddest? We have one at our barn. The sweetest old man - so gentle and kind. He is now wearing miss Mare's heavy weight baker when its cold and you have never seen a horse get so excited to be blanketed! Oh my heart breaks for the ignored horses of the world!



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov. 25, 2004
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    918

    Default

    Update:
    It looks like Lucy's owner T is going to be taking her at the end of the lease. While I am sad that Lucy will not be with me, T loves Lucy just as much as I do and will give her the wonderful retirement this special mare deserves
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars



  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul. 14, 2011
    Location
    Warren County, NJ
    Posts
    1,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShoreGirl View Post
    Isn't that just the saddest? We have one at our barn. The sweetest old man - so gentle and kind. He is now wearing miss Mare's heavy weight baker when its cold and you have never seen a horse get so excited to be blanketed! Oh my heart breaks for the ignored horses of the world!
    After I left, that same horse was blanketed but never checked all winter. He got a sore that sort of stuck to the blanket and was hard to heal when the blanket was removed. The owner never paid for trimming either and the poor things hooves were so flaired that it was painful for him to walk on anything but grass. The owner was wealthy and lived not far away and would often pass the farm on her way to the bar where she hung out on weekends. She made me sick.

    When I first moved my horse there, I called my animal communicator to see how he liked the place and she first had to give me a message from the neglected horse; his teeth hurt (he cribbed and had practically no front teeth) and he wished someone would pay attention to him. So I would slice up carrots wafer thin for him and spend time with him. I also noticed his skull looking uneven and it turned out he had a tumor in his face. Sorry, just venting.

    OP, glad your mare will live where she will be loved and cared for. It's a great relief.



  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan. 31, 2003
    Posts
    18,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    I do retirement boarding -- there are so many variations of it. Pasture board does not have to equal "toss in a field with no special care" (although it can). I offer pasture board, but I also offer a lot of hands on care (blanketing, fly spray, medication etc w/o extra charge). I also am expensive for pasture board, which puts some people off, but I offer a lot of services for the price. So, if you want blanketing (or whatever) keep that in mind -- you may have to pay more to get the level of service you want.

    This. I also offer retirement and layup board, on a limited, individual basis. My advice, besides the above, is to look for somewhere that focuses on providing pasture board with a very hugh standard of care. When done well, it is just as time consuming and nearly as expensive for the provider as stall board. The horses should look really, really good - like with a good grooming they could go to a horse show. I charge $400/month for all inclusive retirement board and every horse is cared for as if it were my own. Paying a little more upfront for a place that will take very good care of your horse can save you money in the long run - I very rarely have injuries (knock on wood!) or other issues that require the vet other than for maintenance - one big vet bill averaged out, lets say, over a year can easily turn a $200 board bill into a $400 board but still without the high standard of care. So be thoughtful and look at the big picture. Good luck!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.



  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan. 31, 2003
    Posts
    18,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pony baloney View Post
    After I left, that same horse was blanketed but never checked all winter. He got a sore that sort of stuck to the blanket and was hard to heal when the blanket was removed. The owner never paid for trimming either and the poor things hooves were so flaired that it was painful for him to walk on anything but grass. The owner was wealthy and lived not far away and would often pass the farm on her way to the bar where she hung out on weekends. She made me sick..
    This is a great example of why I only provide all inclusive board. It includes trims and blanketing. A certain number of blankets and types of blankets are required and I maintain them. Routine yearly dental maintenance is mandatory. It is cheaper in the long run and of course, simply the right thing to do - to properly care for a horse even in retirement. I dont understand how anyone can allow this level of neglect on their farm simply because someone writes them a check.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan. 17, 2008
    Location
    Dutchess County, New York
    Posts
    4,032

    Default

    Ponybaloney you've given good advice. The following is not criticism, it is elaboration :-)

    The sad horse at your barn would never exist at mine (or Eqtrainer's) because I assume that most owners are not here to care for or even look in on their horses. (though they are welcome to) I build in the care every horse needs -- so blankets are changed frequently; all boarders must be on my farrier and dentist's schedule; and I have few enough horses that I can spend time with each. I know where each's favorite spot to be scratched is.

    So when anyone goes looking for retirement board, don't assume that every place will allow a horse to be neglected, or that the owner has to do some (or any) care.



  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan. 31, 2003
    Posts
    18,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    Ponybaloney you've given good advice. The following is not criticism, it is elaboration :-)

    The sad horse at your barn would never exist at mine (or Eqtrainer's) because I assume that most owners are not here to care for or even look in on their horses. (though they are welcome to) I build in the care every horse needs -- so blankets are changed frequently; all boarders must be on my farrier and dentist's schedule; and I have few enough horses that I can spend time with each. I know where each's favorite spot to be scratched is.

    So when anyone goes looking for retirement board, don't assume that every place will allow a horse to be neglected, or that the owner has to do some (or any) care.

    Yup . It really is a different standard of care. Most of my retired horses are owned by people who live too far away to be hands on. I send pics (modern tachnology is awesome for this!) but its really about finding somewhere that, like SMF11 says, will build in the individual care your horse requires. IMO if you go somewhere and they are allowing a horse to be neglected, I would not be willing to leave my horse there... It is always best to be in a "like-minded" community, so to speak.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.


    1 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: Oct. 16, 2010, 02:43 PM
  2. going from pasture board to stall board
    By chelsealaurenmurphy in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: Oct. 6, 2009, 07:46 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sep. 8, 2009, 03:19 PM
  4. How many of these things can you check off?
    By Barbara_F in forum Off Course
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: Feb. 12, 2009, 05:27 PM
  5. Credit check to board?
    By aahunterjumper in forum Off Course
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: Nov. 3, 2008, 06:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness