The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Haha! I was thinking of plant-type leaves, not table leaves.

Looking at the "before" picture, I just want to point out that your cats are behemoth WALRUSES all flapped out on a relatively small rock. I can't believe they can all fit behind the Leaf Line.

Being huge walruses, I see why you needed to train them.
    They aren't always that sprawly. Cats have different laws of mass, I think; they can expand and contract at will. I have one (the calico) who I swear puts on 20 pounds after being asleep at night. She jumps up on the bed lightly, arranges herself daintily, and then metamorphoses into a rock.

There is some squabbling and growling behind the line at times when all are there, usually initiated by Rosalind getting offended at their nearness. HRH marches to her own drummer. These "other" cats are only in "her" house by her magnanimous tolerance of their presence, but Lord help the cat who attempts to be friends or to cross her own (invisible) line. She is the ultimate Queen Victoria and is perpetually NOT amused at the world. If Rosalind were a person, she'd be intolerable. Since she's a cat, I love the personality, so long as I only have one specimen of it in the house.

1 members found this post helpful.

2 members found this post helpful.

Duplicate

Boy, they sure do know where the line is, don't they?!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by MtyMax View Post
    I have no idea if this guy is actually hungry when he is mugging me. He gets 4-5 small meals a day of either dry kitten kibble or a decent quality wet food. He has put on weight and is no longer ribby, but still lean. The little guy eats a good deal more than my adult cat.

Also, free feeding isn't really an option. The adult cat will eat and eat and eat. Generally when I go out of town for an overnight trip, I leave a full bowl of kibble. Well, this adult cat will eat the entire bowl (about 2 days worth) in one sitting. Blah. Kitten is the same.

I spend a lot of time working him him over the weekend. He can look but not touch and he seems to be getting it
    Know, then, that you *are* the food dispenser for the young cat. He is right to bug you if he is hungry. After all, food is not available freely and does come from you, right?

He will be able to make finer distinctions in the future, but the connection between you and food for him has contributed to your problem. Just a friendly FYI and a "cat's eye view" of the situation.
    Last edited by mvp; Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:13 AM.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

dressagetraks, those photos cracked me up.

OP, my former stray had a lot of the same behaviors - 2 days after getting her, I sat on the couch with a salad on my lap and she ran over to stick her head right IN the middle of my bowl! BF and I didn't really adjust our eating behavior, we were just very consistent about shooing her away from us whenever we'd eat. She'd be allowed to look or even hang out within a reasonable distance, but if she started going for it she'd get shooed away and then we'd ignore her and go back to eating. Now we can eat just about anywhere and she'll leave us alone.

Oh yeah and if she ever gets people food treats they're always given in the cat area, preferably in one of her own bowls. Never by the kitchen or the rest of the meal. You're just asking for trouble if that connection is ever made!

Hopefully it's a phase that he'll grow out of. They're so entertaining at that age. Good luck!

Wow, Dressagetraks those are some beautiful cats!

I found out I really am a horse/dog person after the addition of a drop off kitty to our household.

I was telling a co-worker about how "stupid" this cat seems to be and describing my attempts to teach it not to get in my face, get in between me and my Kindle or computer, not to trip me, etc. I was confused because we've had absolutely no troubles teaching our dogs these things- but no luck with this cat.

He is a confirmed cat lover and said, " Oh, your cat's not stupid, it just doesn't care!"

So true. He's finally started to come around though and I have to admit he smells much better than the dogs
    Last edited by certifiedgirl; Jan. 11, 2013 at 01:32 AM. Reason: typo

Those pictures of DressageTrak's cata are great. Thanks for taking the trouble to get them.

I especially appreciate the close up of the toes and leaf line.

In other news, I think those cats are still walruses.

Also, cats and walruses seem to do what amoebas can: Those little buggers can go from all gelatinous to arranging their Intracellular Goop to become more rigid. And IIRC, they can do with is chosen parts of the cell.

Incidentally, Snail Snot has the same property: If the snail is sliding over it, it's slick. With enough weight resting on it, the snot becomes sticky.

In any case, cats can do the same thing, making a skeleton appear an disappear at will, and getting heavier when the skeleton is turned off.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

You guys crack me up. I love the "toe the line" pics. Bwuahahahaha!

MVP - Yes, apparently I AM the food dispenser. Unfortunately. I've started feeding baby Onyx before I eat, and then teaching him to sit on a difference couch cushion. As long as he stays on his cushion, he will get a nibble. But if he mugs me, no nibble for him He's a smart little guy and seems to be getting it for the most part.

Poor guy is off getting neutered today and having his terrible breath checked out. He had very inflamed gums when he was found (by the vet's office) and his breath has been absolutely revolted. The vet is sending off samples to a lab today, but it appears that this little guy has some sort of systemic (systematic?) bacterial infection that may be caused by flea overload when he was a stray (no fleas now). If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about, I wouldn't mind hearing exactly what this is.

Thanks!

We disciplined our begging kitty like a dog and it worked. You can now say 'AAAANT' to him loudly and he flees when he is doing something naughty!
    The Struggle - - a blog about the equestrian struggle.

Dressagetraks, your cats are beautiful! I especially love your Siamese. I'm a Siamese person myself-- one over the Bridge, and a new boy who turns five next month. Once you've been owned by a Meezer, you're under their spell, somehow.

My latest cat, Small Cat (tuxedo), is horrific about getting in your food/face. He's all "Hey buddy, how you doing?" and somehow eats your food without actually appearing to eat it. I CANNOT leave any food out on the counter or he'll eat it. He was a shelter cat I adopted and his "owner" had got him as a kitten, abandoned him in his apartment when he went to jail without telling anyone about the poor kitty. So I guess I'd be super worried about my next meal, too. But I mean, eating avocados and tomatoes and oranges?
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!