The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Is this bit USEA Dressage Legal?

Herm Sprenger KK Ultra B-Ring Baucher Bit

http://www.bitofbritain.com/mobile/default.aspx#P19133

I'm guessing it isn't but figured I'd ask you all anyway especially before I buy a bit that is so crazy expensive.
    “A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.”

Your link does not show a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Your link does not show a bit.
    http://www.bitofbritain.com/Herm_Spr...p/772-rent.htm
    “A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.”

I believe it refers to this bit, and no it is not legal for eventing dressage

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Herm_Spr...p/772-rent.htm

Beware that this is another that not all (even higher level) TDs know about. A friend of mine was OKed by a TD and eliminated by the president of the ground jury who did know it was not legal.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Any idea what the rationale would be for that baucher being illegal but the typical baucher being legal? I can't think of any reason this bit would work any differently from any other baucher.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

and to make it even more annoying this bit is legal for real dressage (USDF):

http://www.usef.org/documents/FormsP...entBooklet.pdf

See page 19.

Scubed - can you elaborate as to why? I know the regular single link baucher is legal, and one that's all the same metal is ok, but didn't realize this one isn't.

A french link baucher is legal too. It's not the link that makes that one illegal. It's something about the B cheek that they don't like.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

Legal for "straight" dressage. NOT legal for Eventing Dressage.

It is just a more literal interpretation of the sentence "Any of the rings or cheeks shown on these plates is permitted with any of the bits." Since the "rings or cheeks" are not shown, they are not legal.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a KK ultra with "regular" boucher cheeks. I don't know where it came from, I got it on ebay 15 yrs ago, but they must have once made some.

Neue Schule makes regular baucher cheek bits and they are very similar to the HS KKs: http://www.horsebitbank.com/neue-sch...ks-2-109.dhtml

It's too bad the B-ring isn't eventing dressage legal. It's a very pretty bit.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Pretty much what Janet said. My understanding of the process is that it is a bit oddly very specific to specific bits that could potentially work differently or convey different advantages, hence the many threads on the Myler middle and the one Sprenger rotating middle being legal, but so many others, most notably the happy mouth peanut not being legal. I have been meaning to ask for a rule change on that one for the last couple of years, because it is one of my favorite bits, but have never gotten around to it. I currently ride in a Myler Baucher which is working for me and find the JP Baucher works OK as well, but I do wish that Ultra B was legal.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Thank you everyone so much!!! Such a bummer its not USEA legal

Is the Schule bit legal with usea?

Quote Originally Posted by Addictedeventer View Post
    Thank you everyone so much!!! Such a bummer its not USEA legal
    I don't understand the bummer when you haven't bought the B-ring yet and there are lozenge bouchers on the market that are USEA legal *and* cheaper than the B-ring. You're about to save money over buying a B-ring and there's a USEA-legal alternative: sounds like things are coming up roses for you.

The NS Tranz and Training Lozenge Bauchers, mentioned above, are extremely similar to the Herm Sprenger bits. My horse went the same in the HS B-Ring Baucher as he did in the NS Training Lozenge Baucher. And these days you can solve the problem even more cheaply with the Stubben Steeltec Baucher, which is about $75:
    http://www.123tack.com/stubben-steel...ucher-bit.html

Quote Originally Posted by Addictedeventer View Post
    Is the Schule bit legal with usea?
    Well, the 4th one, with the chain mouthpiece, is definitely NOT legal. But the other three look legal to me, at least in the picture.

And it is USEF, not USEA, that determines if a bit is legal.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Legal for "straight" dressage. NOT legal for Eventing Dressage.
    Is there any rationale for not having the rules match exactly for Eventing and straight dressage?

Quote Originally Posted by SevenDogs View Post
    Is there any rationale for not having the rules match exactly for Eventing and straight dressage?
    Not really, other than having different people on the rules comittees.

There are also bits that are legal for Eventing Dressage, but not for straight Dressage.

I think there are differences at the FEI level too.
    Janet