The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thinking of moving my horse...AGAIN :(

I feel like one of those crazy horse people where nothing lives up to their standards....guh.

I've owned my horse for about 4 years now. I had him at a backyard type place there was no where to ride - we followed my "friend" to her friends place where there was a ring and just our two horses. Then my friend kinda fell out with her so I followed her to another facility which I loved! She eventually left and bought her own place I stayed for 2 more years.

T/O at the place began to suck - they were elderly and prob had to many boarders. Often times my arthritic horse was in 24/7.

Anyways the "friend" that left let me move over to her place...cheap...and field board. Well that became a mess. LONG STORY but I felt like her personal jockey for her other 5 horses. My horse was left in dry lot without hay, they purposely shocked him...etc...etc.

So I found a temp place down the road from my house - its OK but for $250 I have to do my stall, provide my feed. I only am allowed 4 flakes a day any more will be charge extra, and 4 bags of bedding a month.
    Lately my horse has been getting NO turn out - weather isnt bad either. He's been in for about 2 weeks.

Once I again I feel like I need to move they told me horses are out much as possible but I asked why they were in they just say sometimes they dont get to it...so obviously they have better things to do.

The place I originally had him at is letting me come - again kinda backyard type place. ALL horses are turned out in one huge field (about 10 of them) mares + geldings. Thats my only gripe. But they are mostly out 24/7 only come into feed or if its realllly bad weather.

Sorry I needed to vent I feel like a bouncer and nothings ever going to be good for me lol. But my horse has knocked the door of the hinges couple days ago.. so I can tell he def doesn't like being in all this time.

Sounds like place #1 is the best fit for your horse. Good luck with the move!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Given your options, I would choose whichever is the safest, happiest place for your horse. Moving him around is obviously stressful but in the long run he is better off somewhere where is actually being cared for.

I certainly wouldn't want my horse left in for weeks at a time, and definitely wouldn't board at a place where they had better things to do than take care of my horse but were charging me for it.... and if that meant leaving for a place where he would be in a huge field with 1x a day check, so be it. Especially if he has arthritis! My only fear would be not checking on them at least 1x a day...
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

Find what works, sometimes that takes a bit as we learn what is important for our situation.

They don't "get to it"... wth?

You are not demanding. Move the horse. I also shudder at four bags of bedding for a month for a horse who is in 24/7. And only 4 flakes of hay while stuck in.

1 members found this post helpful.

4 bags of bedding a month? I go through about two a week... Your stall must be awful...

1 members found this post helpful.

thats whats in the leasing agreement - they are 35 gallon trash bags full of saw dust...but still. I feel bad for the boarders that are full care - the horses get a sprinkle of dust and i mean a SPRINKLY. I put a nice clump where he pees, and go around the barn and rake in all the hay that was dropped in the aisles and near the bales, and rake that in with his bedding so he has a little more.

They aren't really horse people - they live a house down the street and are renting the property. I can't keep leaving work to make sure hes being turned out. Yesterday around 1pm they were still in and I had to just leave him out alone so he wouldn't bust his door again.

most areas have too many good options to put up with this. Make a list of your expectations and budget, shop around, find a place that meets them. Sign a contract laying out what you expect of them and what they expect of you.

Someone should start a matchmaking business between horse owners and boarding farm owners....
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

I remember all your other threads when you've gotten fed up with your current barn. You do have good cause to be fed up, but this is what, the fourth time you've moved barns in two years? It is time to do your homework!! You need to stop blindly moving from barn to barn and make a list of local barns, visit the barns, ask questions, check out their websites, get references, compare contracts, etc etc etc. ONLY THEN should you move barns. Because otherwise I'm pretty sure we'll be reading about you again in six months, about how unhappy you are with your barn and how you want to move.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nativehiro View Post
    I feel like one of those crazy horse people where nothing lives up to their standards....guh.

So I found a temp place down the road from my house - its OK but for $250 I have to do my stall, provide my feed. I only am allowed 4 flakes a day any more will be charge extra, and 4 bags of bedding a month.
    Lately my horse has been getting NO turn out - weather isnt bad either. He's been in for about 2 weeks.
    I'm the wrong person to ask about turnout, but whether or not $250 is excessive for what you're getting depends on where you're at. If you're in Indiana, it *might* be high, if you're in NOVA, it's fantastic.

As a point of reference, I pay $150 for about that much hay, grain (not good stuff, just "horse feed"), and sawdust bedding in NE Indiana. The stalls are my responsibility. I was taught to clean stall by a cheap old German - I can make 4 bags of shavings go pretty darn far.

Looking at it another way = 120 flakes of hay = about 10 bales of hay. That might $60 or it might be $100. The shavings are easily $6 a bag, so another $25. Sawdust isn't alway free; it costs my trainer plenty. Plus the BO's utilities, lights and water, and you're getting pretty near $200. So they make maybe $50 or $75 on the deal. Not a heck of a lot for the privelege of boarding your horse. If you don't like the turnout, that's one thing, but complaining about the cost is another. IME, the lower the board, the more unreasonable boarders become. They are doing this for $$, not just so you can keep a horse cheap.

PS went back and reread the original post (always helpful to do that :-) ). OK, it's four barns in four years. But you also said that the first barn has nowhere for you to ride -- so isn't that a problem too, in addition to the fact that they turn everyone out in one big field?

I run a small private boarding barn, and most of my boarders have been here for YEARS. Staying one place for a year at a time (on average) is moving an unusual amount. It is not the norm.

Please! Post again with the other barns you've looked at and are considering!

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    PS went back and reread the original post (always helpful to do that :-) ). OK, it's four barns in four years. But you also said that the first barn has nowhere for you to ride -- so isn't that a problem too, in addition to the fact that they turn everyone out in one big field?

I run a small private boarding barn, and most of my boarders have been here for YEARS. Staying one place for a year at a time (on average) is moving an unusual amount. It is not the norm.

Please! Post again with the other barns you've looked at and are considering!

I do have a barn I ideally what to be at.. My two friends are there who I met at the 3rd barn (that I was there for 2 years with) moved to. Its lovely but unfortunately BOOKED. I should of moved there when they did but I loved the fact my arthritis horse was out 24/7 and I didn't want to move. So now I have to wait. Trust me I'm kicking myself for not moving him there when I had the chance.

I thought I found a good temp place in meantime - they told me they go out all the time - they are nice people but the other boarders never come out to ride or do anything with their horses - they to have been there for years.. I figured they knew their horses where in good care.

I didn't know this was going to happen. I either can sit and wait for my friends place to open up and have him be constantly in because they rather attend to their errands - or least find another temp place that I KNOW has great T/O. There isn't really any where to ride other then the pasture which I am fine with for now - he has arthritis in hocks and we cant jump so I don't need a fancy hunter ring anymore. All I have now is trails.

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    I remember all your other threads when you've gotten fed up with your current barn. You do have good cause to be fed up, but this is what, the fourth time you've moved barns in two years? It is time to do your homework!! You need to stop blindly moving from barn to barn and make a list of local barns, visit the barns, ask questions, check out their websites, get references, compare contracts, etc etc etc. ONLY THEN should you move barns. Because otherwise I'm pretty sure we'll be reading about you again in six months, about how unhappy you are with your barn and how you want to move.
    I'm friends with OP and I checked out her current barn with her when she was looking to move. By the owner's description when we visited, it seemed like a workable fit-- stalls were clean, horses were all turned out when we were there, and the BO had a pretty specific contract. OP knew she wouldn't be there for the long-term (as she hopes to move into our barn as soon as a stall opens), but it seemed like it would be an OK alternative for a few months.

There are a number of problems with this place, but turnout (or lack thereof) is by far the biggest-- and it was definitely NOT as advertised, because we specifically asked. BO said the horses are out every day except in bad weather, or within a day of bad rain... That has ended up to be a blatant lie. They turn them out if/when they feel like it, which could be 2 in the afternoon and then back in at 4, if that's what suits their schedule. They don't own any horses themselves (although the BO conveyed years of experience) and it has become clear that they see it as an easy income.

I can relate to the barn-shopping frustration... The last barn where i boarded (where I met the OP), i specifically asked re: turnout and was told the horses are "out every day until they stand at the gates and want to come in," and when i visited, they were all out. I didn't find out until later that what that REALLY meant was, "since all our pastures are drylots after a couple weeks, the horses stand at the gate after an hour so we bring them in. Oh, and we don't turn them out if we're not going to be home all day, even if the weather is perfect, which is pretty often."

Sometimes you just don't KNOW until you've been there for a while. Sure, there are basic clues-- are the horses all in good weight, are stalls clean, do things look safe-- but unless you talk to their other boarders (assuming most of the boarders aren't absentee owners who hardly come out anyway), it can be REALLY hard to tell what the day-to-day reality actually IS sometimes.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Quote Originally Posted by cnvh View Post
    Sometimes you just don't KNOW until you've been there for a while. Sure, there are basic clues-- are the horses all in good weight, are stalls clean, do things look safe-- but unless you talk to their other boarders (assuming most of the boarders aren't absentee owners who hardly come out anyway), it can be REALLY hard to tell what the day-to-day reality actually IS sometimes.
    This is exactly why I always advise people to ASK FOR REFERENCES from current and former boarders, and a vet.

I run a small private retirement barn and I offer references happily, and require them in return. And I call them. And I have decided to not offer a spot to prospective boarders when I've learned troubling things.

The OP's track record of picking good barns is not good. Instead of doing the same thing over and over, she needs to make a change or two to see if she can avoid the mistakes of the past.