The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ralph Hill Clinic?

Has anyone taken a Ralph Hill clinic lately? How was it?

I did one last year. It was fun. He's got a lot of great knowledge, although he has no patience for riders who are out of shape and riders should make sure they understand the exercise the first time around because he doesn't like to give instructions more than once.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

1 members found this post helpful.

I did two several years ago, and I found him to be an excellent instructor,
    I did not find him to be impatient with riders, he spent a lot of individual time with folks that needed it. He was a great confidence builder.
    Really loved them!.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Great. Ralph really understands the horses and breaks it down for them. Very patient with them. I do agree that you should understand what you are supposed to do before you do it. He does not like explaining the exercise twice. Also, you should TRY to do what he asks . If you don't try , he is not very pleased.

I just had a clinic with him about 3 weeks ago. It was my first time riding with him. I was a little worried about it because of his reputation and it was a lot of money for me. I just started riding 2'6" last summer and I could not recommend him more. Loved him!

I am planning on scraping up the money to ride with him again this upcoming summer. You do have to go in and really pay attention, but I found him to be really fair. If you make a dumb mistake he is going to call you out on it and explain why. If you are really good, he is going tell you that too. I am the type that would rather have the correction than the good girl patronizing pat on the head. I am there to learn and cannot do that if I am not challenged.

What I loved the most about him is he was able to tailor each exercise to the individual horse and rider. In my group was a Pro on a green horse, a catch rider on a challenging horse and myself (green) on an experienced horse. He was able to help each of us in a different way over the exact same jumps. He has such an excellent eye. He was able to help me on something I was struggling with for the last 4 month and instantly gave me some other tools to help with my riding.
    Hope this helps and let me know if you have any specific questions.

I've enjoyed both clinics I did with him, athough neither was recent. He gave us such a huge confidence boost!!! We were all giggling at how great my pony was jumping too! Plus he's just fun!

Ralph has always been my favorite clinician. He was instrumental in helping me with my move up from trg. to prelim. (way back in the day) Sadly he doesn't come to my area anymore.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I did one clinic with him and it was by far the best on I had ever done. I now take lessons from him on a regular basis, he is the best person I have worked with. Really understands the horse and is there to totally build their confidence, as well as yours as a rider. His knowledge is amazing. Go for it!!
    RIP My Beautiful Kevin
    2003-2009
    RIP Sweet Ella
    2009-2011

Ralph is the best cross country instructor. He has become very much a thinking instructor. He looks at the horses reactions and seems to know just how far to push to get advancement, but not too far. He has helped me a lot. Highly recomend.

Yeah it I had a horse and he was in the area I would be right there again with Bells on, My favorite for sure!!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.