The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "King of the Wind" movie?

Poking around on Amazon's DVD selection, after another thread mentioned the movie of "The Horse With the Flying Tail," and among the suggestions was "King of the Wind."

I had no idea they even made a movie of this! Not sure how I missed it, as it apparently came out in 1990, when I would have been a very horse-crazy girl. Has anyone seen this? For $6, I'm tempted to just order it, good or not!

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

For $6 I'd go for, I base a lot of puchases on their $$$relative to a coffee at Starbucks or a glass of wine at the local pub.

2 members found this post helpful.

Go for it - if I remember correctly it wasn't too bad...
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

I pulled it out of the Walmart $5 movie bin a while ago in a set that also includes Two Bits and Pepper and Into the West. Score!

Especially considering that the main human character is mute, it's really pretty good. Faithful to the book except that the part with the Quaker and his son-in-law is totally changed.

Not sure why Richard Harris is top billed, other than being the only actor in it that anyone's ever heard of. In reality he has a 90-second cameo as the king at the end.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

Netflix has it, too. Pretty good movie and follows the book pretty well.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scaramouch View Post

Not sure why Richard Harris is top billed, other than being the only actor in it that anyone's ever heard of. In reality he has a 90-second cameo as the king at the end.
    Because he was the only actor of any note in the movie and they probably paid more for him than any two other actors combined, and he probably had a really good agent.

It's not a bad movie at all. Don't go in expecting it to be exactly like the book as it does change a few things, but it's a pretty good flick with a pretty horse! Probably closer to its book than "Misty" was to its book.

Excellent, thanks all! I was ordering a few things with holiday gift cards, so went ahead and added it to the order Hopefully it'll at least be a good snowday watch!