The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle for a lesson horse advice.

I need a new (or used) saddle for one of my lesson horses, but he is proving hard to fit, and the local tack shops don't seem to be carrying much for saddles anymore.

Would like to stay under $1200 if possible.

Horse has high withers, big shoulders, and a bit of a scoopy back (not swayed though), so many saddles bridge on him.

Medium width, but needs good wither clearance. He also has a very short back. He is an arabian/saddlebred cross.

Looking for ideas on brands to look for in an AP or CC saddle for him. Would rather not have to use a special pad, but would appreciate ideas on that vein as well.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Stubben

Stubben

I third Stubben.

A Prestige might work.

Courbette Vision.

Not the prettiest thing in the world (two tone and not hunter princess-y) but man - that saddle fits every *single* horse its been on. We laugh and call it the miracle saddle. The best my untrained eye can see, it has fluffy wool stuffing with a very wide gullet that just seems to adjust to every horse - from TB (sway and shark wither backed!), WB, medium pony, to lovely new young thing that has the broadest wide withers I've ever seen.

Best part is you should be able to find a used one kicking around in the $1K range. Here is one random one I found with a quick google search:
    http://www.equinenow.com/english_saddle-ad-9210

BTW - the leather is not lovely luscious french style leather. It is hardy german (or swiss?) leather that will break in to a nice strong, durable finish. In your price range I would suggest looking for one of those - or maybe a Barnsby saddle as those are also very kind and forgiving to many different horses.

Stubben!!

My good Prestige doesn't fit him, but not sure if other models fit the same?

The Courbette looks interesting. I have a boarder with a Magic Special and that may be one of the only saddles I didn't try on him, maybe I should.

Which model of Stubben would you folks recommend? The Kerry II didn't fit (tight and low on withers), and that was the only model i could find to try.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I own moderate withers, big shoulder, and a scoopy back. I do not second or third Stubben. Did not work for steed or for me- at all. Your mileage may vary.

In your price range I might look at a Barnsby or a Dover Circuit with a half-pad (you may need some help if the withers are enormous.) County may or may not be able to help you; they couldn't me, but if you can find a used one that fits your guy, it will live longer than your lesson program. What you are looking for is a "banana-shaped" tree.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I second a Courbette. They usually have good wither clearance. In fact, I've had better luck with fit with them than I have had with a Stubben. And I can find used Courbettes all day long at reasonable prices. Should have no problem clearing the withers with a Courbette. Some of the Courbettes have more curve to the panels than others, and you may find that one of those fits the scoopy back better. I have several Courbettes in my school program, along with some crosbys and Keiffers, and they tend to fit a larger variety of horses than the other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    My good Prestige doesn't fit him, but not sure if other models fit the same?
    What about the Prestige doesn't fit him? Not wide enough? That can be fixed by a wider tree. Not curvy enough? That gets harder, and most of the Courbettes I've seen are flatter than Prestige. Too curvy? Then I'd for sure look at Courbettes and Collegiates. The Diploma is a nice saddle.

High withers and wide shoulders is a specialty of Vega/Amerigo saddles They are on the curvy side - curvier than Prestige but not hugely so. The problem is finding a used one in your price range

Collegiate Diploma? that worked ok for my mare (similar back) although she's freakishly sensitive so we ended up switching to a Tad.

My boarder has kept her QH gelding teh the collegiate and he does great in it. He was starting a bucking problem with the Bate's she'd bought him which instantly went away with the collegiate.

He's got massive shoulders, curved back, and hollows behind his shoulders.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    High withers and wide shoulders is a specialty of Vega/Amerigo saddles They are on the curvy side - curvier than Prestige but not hugely so. The problem is finding a used one in your price range
    Can't believe I forgot about the Vega. You will probably not find an Amerigo in your range, but you might be able to snag a Vega. (Try a demo version from Dover or SmartPak so you have an idea of whether or not to stalk eBay.)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

My Prestige didn't fit his shoulder shape, and sat too close to the sides of his withers. Plus...unless there are economy prestige saddles out there, I am doubting I will find one in my budget.

His shoulders aren't wide, they are just big so come back fairly far compared to the average horse. Combined with his very short back, it doesn't leave much room for the saddle. Going to try the Courbette Magic on him tonight.

I have never seen a Vega saddle, but if they cost $3000+ new, it is doubtlful I will find one reasonibly priced.

I know the Collegiate Convertible or Senior eventer does not fit his back shape nor his withers....does the Diploma fit differently?

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    My Prestige didn't fit his shoulder shape, and sat too close to the sides of his withers. Plus...unless there are economy prestige saddles out there, I am doubting I will find one in my budget.
    In my recent saddle search, I tried a friend's Prestige and had a similar issue with my big-shouldered horse (TB); the saddle looked like it fit fine everywhere else, but was just too tight at the shoulder/wither. What fit her perfectly was an old Pessoa AO. I ended up with a Dabbs AO, which has the same fit, and both used are definitely out there in your price range if they work.

I'm not sure I'm understanding the Prestige not fitting a "large" shoulder

Being too tight is a matter of width much more than shape. Prestige is built on a A-frame tree, technically, but it's wider at the top of the A than most other similar ones. It's not technically a hoop tree, it's not THAT wide or rounded, but it's certainly a lot closer than most others (this goes for County and Black Country too, they are very similar).

Another saddle to consider is the Tolouse line. They are nice saddles for the price, many of the models are less than your range new. A couple (can't remember which) come in an xwide tree as well