The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default CANTER wine

http://www.benefitwines.com/CANTER_O...htm?Click=5570 What a great way to support such a wonderful organization! I wish I could find out more about the wine, though. Has anyone tried it?
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by cu.at.x View Post
    http://www.benefitwines.com/CANTER_O...htm?Click=5570 What a great way to support such a wonderful organization! I wish I could find out more about the wine, though. Has anyone tried it?
    Did I see box wine?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

No, you saw photos of the labels. But don't be such a snob. There are many boxed wines that are perfectly drinkable, and some that are downright nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

^ I think she was being sarcastic.. notice her signature. But yeah, it's not boxed. Doesn't mean it's worth anything, though. I would like to try it if it's good but if not I'd rather just give CANTER a cash donation..
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

IIRC Alagirl likes boxed wine. Seems like the private label wine is the new gift wrap type fundraiser.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Nothing wrong with boxed wine. Even in France, where wine snobbery is taken to another level, you can get very nice Boxed wine.

What a cool way to support CANTER :-D. Random aside, I stayed at an elephant sanctuary in South Africa which had its own wine where all the proceeds went to the elephants. There was a drawing on the label of their first elephant stomping grapes, hahaha.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

If you look in the "about" page, there's an infoblurb about the winery they import the blends from. You might be able to find some of their stuff in a local wine shop to try before gifting to anyone.

While the wine is probably not anything of huge worth or something you'd want to age for a few dozen more years, it would be a nice gift to give a wine-drinking horse friend (assuming it doesn't go down like drain cleaner).

Thumbs down Spend $48.00 and CANTER gets just $6.00

Hum, what a scam.

Sure can’t find much info on the producer, La Fortuna Vineyards in Chile.

But here is my pessimistic take! They are selling these wines (of unknown quality) for $19.99 a bottle, of that price, CANTER sees only $6.00! If you buy the variety pack at $117.95 – CANTER gets just $34.01.

Oh don’t forget the SHIPPING! $28.00 (for the slow option, for a SINGLE bottle!) – a $19.99 bottle of wine becomes $48.05! And CANTER walks away with a measly $6.00 and this wine seller pockets the profits.

Personally, I think bad wine is a terrible gift. If I wanted a gift, or wine, and to support CANTER – I would go buy some wine that I know is of good quality, and make a donation to CANTER!
    Last edited by Appsolute; Jan. 4, 2013 at 01:52 PM.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cu.at.x View Post
    ^ I think she was being sarcastic.. notice her signature. But yeah, it's not boxed. Doesn't mean it's worth anything, though. I would like to try it if it's good but if not I'd rather just give CANTER a cash donation..
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    IIRC Alagirl likes boxed wine. Seems like the private label wine is the new gift wrap type fundraiser.
    Whoops! In that case, I'm glad I defended boxed wine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Hum, what a scam.

Sure can’t find much info on the producer, La Fortuna Vineyards in Chile.

But here is my pessimistic take! They are selling these wines (of unknown quality) for $19.99 a bottle, of that price, CANTER sees only $6.00! If you buy the variety pack at $117.95 – CANTER gets just $34.01.

Oh don’t forget the SHIPPING! $28.00 (for the slow option, for a SINGLE bottle!) – a $19.99 bottle of wine becomes $48.05! And CANTER walks away with a measly $6.00 and this wine seller pockets the profits.

Personally, I think bad wine is a terrible gift. If I wanted a gift, or wine, and to support CANTER – I would go buy some wine that I know is of good quality, and make a donation to CANTER!
    well, on the shipping, that's not their doing...you can't mail wine via USPS....so that venue is out the door...

6 out of 20 is a bit over 25% which is standard for fundraising events.
    The wrapping paper from school, the knicknacks and junk.
    You get anything higher, you are king, you get 50%...you are more than Platinum!

I do agree though that the take is better if I buy the 3 dollar bottle at Walmart (or the box, for that matter) and send the difference to the charity.

Saving the shipping money for stuff that does need to get transported.

But hey. it is an effort to find something different in terms of fundraiser.
    I am all for it. How many rolls of wrapping paper does one need?!

(they don't ship to Al tho, guess I am off the hook! )
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.